Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Formerly neillpics
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the Manx or Jim Clarke

which rally is best for value for money, good photos spots and spectating, great places to view, good places to stay in, stages easy to get to or what ever?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Up to 2005 Either but I would stick to non BRC events no i.e Donegal Killarney Cork..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
They are both brilliant events but the Manx just about edges it in my opinion. The stages are fantastic, the social part of it is fabulous. The only thing is that it costs quite a bit to get there. Once you are there it is a lot cheaper than the Jim Clark. You can get B&B's in Douglas for as little as £18 per night.

If you book your flughts early enough you can fly there return from Dublin for about 70-80 Euro

[Edited on 27-12-2005 by CiaraC]

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Suppose it might still be worth going....(just) but only cos the Irish guys are there..........

·
Banned
346 Posts
Originally posted by CiaraC
the social part of it is fabulous. You can get B&B's in Douglas for as little as £18 per night.

[Edited on 27-12-2005 by CiaraC]
Social part?? Are we talking about the Isle of Man in the middle of the Irish sea? You HAVE TO BE KIDDING about the social side! When the locals hear an Irish accent they make you feel as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. And the £18 B&B's, well no wonder, they are all tips. Best thing on the Island is the ferry out of it. Been there a few times and I reckon that this year will be my last.

head to the Jim Clark great craic, locals who make you feel welcome, great clean, tidy, warm B&B's and stages that are just as good as the Isle of Man

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Each to their own, but, the Manx is always one of the best of the year on the social side for us. (more so the National than the international) I stayed in an £18 per night B&B once and I agree, they can be dumps but I was just saying that it CAN be done for a small amount. You can obviously stay in nicer places but you will pay for it... obviously...

And, I've never had hassle from any of the locals, nothing but polite and friendly I find.

[Edited on 28-12-2005 by CiaraC]

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I was at the Jim Clark last year and enjoyed it-I was actually in Duns over the new year weekend and was on the Swinton stage-the ford was at full flood after all the snow-more like Monte Carlo than Jim Clark rally. I will deffo be going back to the Jim Clark as I want to see the cars on the big jumps at Langton. I am thinking of the Manx this year too and currently Aer Arran are doing €90 return. Will have a look at the ferry prices as it might be cheaper to bring the car over than fly/drive-bet the hire car prices rocket during the week of the rally plus B+B in my Van is free.

[/URL][/img]

[Edited on 4-1-2006 by rubywax]

[Edited on 4-1-2006 by rubywax]

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Nah-tis grand-The offical vantage point is the field, which is behind and to the left of where I was standing when I took the picture but if you walk from Gavington-the cops won't let you drive through-it is no more than a five min walk and you can stand up on the hill to the right of the hairpin bend in the above picture and get a grandstand view as the cars come along the stage, into the splash and up the hill.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
No water splashes though and Donegal is not in the British Rally series

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by rubywax]

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Manx international better value-3 days Vs one day-the cost of getting there is the probe so 3 days is better value in my book

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Stay in Douglas but beware, there can be some very ropey hotels. Do a google search for accommodation in Douglas and it will give you quite a list.

The stages are quite easy to get to once you get out of Douglas.

In my opinion the National in May (ANCRO round) is better craic. Friday night and Saturday then party on Saturday night. Fly over Friday and stay 2 nights, back on Sunday. It will save you money also.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you bring your car to the Manx you can drive on the roads outside the towns at any speed mental

1 - 20 of 53 Posts