Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Darren O'Mahony
374 Posts
Suppose it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he hasn't done a rally in about 8 months, or the fact that he hasn't done a full ITC since 2002, or the fact that he hasn't done Galway in many years?

·
Registered
316 Posts
car def wasnt going right for him yesterday. a slow start didnt help either. donnelly and co know todays stages very well but nesbitt wouldnt. last time he was in galway was 1999

·
Registered
57 Posts
Donnelly won it first time out in a wrc so should make no difference how long its been since nessbitt done it that.s crap !!! For Once he has no excuses because it wasn't one of his hand chosen events!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by Kronos
Donnelly won it first time out in a wrc so should make no difference how long its been since nessbitt done it that.s pineapple !!! For Once he has no excuses because it wasn't one of his hand chosen events!!
U cant compare the competition in that west rally a few yrs ago to the level this weekend.

nesbitt just needs a few events to bed back in and the car didnt help, if hes doing the whole championship(we hope) and with the few offs in his last few events he'll be happy with the points.

He was a bit rusty today, lifting alot and braking early.

·
Stephen Doherty
983 Posts
i was surprised at his pace but i agree with jimmy.he was rusty and the car was pineapple.he should hopefully be back on the pace come rallyireland and the circuit.

·
And..THE BEAR HAVE IT !
1,608 Posts
Donnelly won it first time out in a wrc so should make no difference how long its been since nessbitt done it that.s pineapple !!! For Once he has no excuses because it wasn't one of his hand chosen events!!
CORRECT MY MAN !!!
The locals are still finding stones 100yards across a field from the wall he smashed down in the Celica in 1997 !!!
He got some kick in the hole on the last stage when he went in 11secs up and Breen taking 15 out of him to beat him by 3secs for 5th. Would the M.I. stance on applying the rules regarding the recce regulations have anything to do with Nesbitts performance ???? Me thinks So :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
you speaks the truth Homie:laugh:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Breen was nucking futs on the last stage, brilliant to watch! big drift thru the last junction pulling gears like it was going out of fashion, in fact he was brilliant all weekend- who would have thought he could have bet nesbitt down in Galway, the national pace is not that far removed from International after all???

Or is it I wonder? If Charlie was there in the other Corolla or Harrison was there would they have been as far up as Breen?

But it was a bleak weekend for the Nesbitt roadshow, he was a shadow of his former self for whatever reason?

·
David Cummins
516 Posts
He lost 5th gear on saturday evening and was using the backup system which is a bit slower to use. Still off the pace though all weekend

·
Formerly anihel
1,883 Posts
He was a bit slow, and never got properly going, losing 5th and then 6th for a couple of stage would lose you well over a minute at least, and hes not a bad driver overnight. Theres way too much s***e spoken about Nesbitt and what event hes good at a what hes not at. Even the great Billy Coleman never mastered the Ulster, Bertie Fisher was long enough trying to win the Circuit, Austin McHale was long enough trying beat Billy Coleman. Each driver has their favourite events, and some events are trickier, Austin McHale was the first to really master Galway, and it seems like Eugene is the next one. The only other drivers I could see doing really well in Galway consistently are Gareth McHale and KPL, simply because the roads have a tendency to be almost forestry like in terms of slippiness. So enough begrudgery, we need characters in Irish Rallying like Andrew Nesbitt, it makes the sport that bit more interesting.

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
Donnelly won it first time out in a wrc so should make no difference how long its been since nessbitt done it that.s pineapple !!!
Well, Peader Hurson was leading that rally in a relatively out dated car with half the stages completed, so I certainly wouldnt say Donnelly won the West 2002 by way of him blowing away the opposition in his first time in a WRC car. He also didnt have much other realistic competition if I remember right, McHale in the Corolla which caused him a lot of bother of the years and a trio of 98/99 Impreza WRC's of White, Gass and Barrett were the only other WRC's I can see on any photos sites.

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
As for Nesbitt's performance last weekend in Galway, I don't know, but whatever the reason, the car definately didnt have much "Get up and Go" on the stages, evident particulary on its acceleration out of the junctions. I seen on the texts coming through that he had gearbox problems, and then that he got it fixed, and then that he had more gearbox problems. I dont mean to diss McKinstry's preparation and TLC of his hire cars but Does anyone know how often his hire cars are stripped? I know the cars are used a lot, maybe they don't get enough time from one week to the next, give or take time to get the car fixed after any accidents or wehatever.

·
Formerly RS200
739 Posts
tearing into pailing posts at 120mph on one of the stages you know the best is bound to have knocked a bit of the old confidence out of you.

give him time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hope he's back to his best by the next event as Mcgarrity always lifts his game on the circuit and it would be great to see him , nesbitt , donnelly and mcnulty having a real close battle on the circuit

·
Steve Caldwell
508 Posts
Originally posted by anihel
and hes not a bad driver overnight. Theres way too much s***e spoken about Nesbitt and what event hes good at a what hes not at.
don know if your getting at me or not there but i didnt say he was a bad driver overnight! i wasnt there to see or hear of any problems so i was assuming he did! :cool:

·
Formerly anihel
1,883 Posts
No Steve it wasn't at you, just at the guys who like dissing Nesbitt all the time. We are lucky to have some really fine tarmac drivers out there, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion on a forum, some of it gets way too personal, even to the point where you'd wonder do some people ever get out to a rally but just believe everything they read about someone when its bad press.....tabloid culture perhaps:mad::mad:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts