Rally Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best tarmac tyres you can buy.
I see alot buying Kumho's, I here they are good in the wet but not as good as the michelins in the dry.

I use michelins myself but they are a bit pricey:p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kumhos give great grip and are very easy to heat but there is not a massive amount of milage with them.

I use dunlops and the grip is pretty good but it is hard to get the heat into them and they dont really start to work until a few miles in but i find there is very good mileage with them. You are talking at least €300 a pair for them (thats after pleading for ages on how you can hardly afford to go rallying)

Its a case of weighing it up... Kumhos: Great grip, not so good mileage
Dunlops: Good drip, good mileage.
Michelins??

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
Dunlop mate, the only way to go.......
Nigel Green is good to deal with too and always willing to give info and advice if ur not sure about what compound to use.......
Kumho supposed to be good too but have never used them and would find it hard to move away from Dunlop anyway......

Michelin....Nah!!!!

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Hankook offering good deals at the moment i hear,bit like Pirellis without the huge prices

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
i used dunlops for years and would not have confidence on anything else, also dunlop give great support and advice so its hard to beat that, pirelli dont always have 14" or 15" tyres at rallies at least they had no 15" in west cork anyway!!!

·
Colin O'Keeffe
700 Posts
i have dunlops that I got with my car when I bought them.. i find good grip in them, but kumhos are supposed to be good gripping, the C03 are anyway.. but with the price of them. its maddness..

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
revoultion are not great ross the dont have the clearence for the big calipers go speed line or compomotive bill adair used to be the best man to buy rims off
as for tyres dunlop are very good and nigel and jenny are really helpful the dont care if you have a wrc or a micra the will look after you.

matador are a good cheaper tyre the would be fairly soft not much life in them compaired to dunlops but the are worth a look all the same

i wont mention kumho as last time i did i was told to watch it by a person representing kumho in ireland :headache:

dont know much about pirelli the dont seem to be intrested in the smaller cars and are a bit expensive

michelin seem to be the best i have used them but not enuff to comment also the are fairly expensive look at the msport tyres site.

go for dunlop you wont regret it

·
Registered
866 Posts
dunlop dunlop dunlop dunlop

kumho are not the pineapple they are made out to be :p

[Edited on 1-4-0606 by ral.ly]

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
this is the no i have for him 00447831717798 he has 2nd hand rims but i used to buy new ones off him

give him a call he is good value on tyres as well

·
Registered
843 Posts
Think Jerry murphy ( Owens father) "R&R Tyres" in ballincollig Deals in Dunlops also.Aswell as the yokohamas. Well he used to anyway..

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
anyone use the new hankook tyres the seem to be a copy of pirelli and dunlop the slick looks like the dunlop and the wet looks like the pirelli would be intrested to see how the compair to matador :help:

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Graham Quinn using the HANKOOKS on the Evo6 and seems happy with them, If you did more on event servicing Trevor you could chat with him,:drink:

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
i know fidgy i have to try to get away to more events working every sunday but in a few weeks that will change so hope to get to a few more.
was talking to him b4 mayo hav'nt seem him since when are ye out again ???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts