RallyForums.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone who wasn't there, The Rally forum at the West Cork Rally was fantastic, it lasted over two hours long and had Billy Coleman, Eugene Donnelly, Nicky Grist and Eoin Murphy, with Michael O Carroll as MC. All sorts of topics were talked about, the old times of rallying, the new times, discussions about drivers, recceing, funny bizarre stories, etc etc. I wish there was more like this because its very rarely you get the chance to hear the drivers answer questions to the public and to the other drivers in great depth like they were.

CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTO

(photo from Ger Leahy's site)

·
Formerly anihel
1,883 Posts
Yeah, Michael was a great host, put eveyone at their ease. Eugene spoke very well particularly regarding his views on illegal recceing. There was hardly a sound from the crowd when all the celebrities spoke, despite its size, everyone was very attentive. It could have gone on for a while longer and nobody would have minded.

·
Leigh Cavanagh
811 Posts
It was very good alrite and definitely very interesting.Great to hear their side of the story on the matters spoken about above but what did anybody think of Billy Colemans views on the irish stages being too narrow for a WRC event??
Surely if the event goes ahead it will want to test the professional drivers of today to their limit???

·
Patrick S
455 Posts
Regarding the narrow stages
i remember the 2002 circuit of ireand stages based in enniskillen were very narrow, bumpy twisty and most drivers were not happy with them,
so i dont know whether hes hinting about this or that ireland has got much better classic stages available

i know that its a cross border plan
but honestly gronholm-loeb-solberg and co on the molls gap start line is the stuff that dreams are made of!

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Hate to see white lines on stages at home or on tv from abroad, surely it helps to keep average speeds down to stay on the narrower roads

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Originally posted by fidgy
Hate to see white lines on stages at home or on tv from abroad, surely it helps to keep average speeds down to stay on the narrower roads
Knockalla anyone? The fast stuff on the ireland north west stage of rally ireland was fantastic, and having driven knockalla last year the wider stuff is enjoyable to watch.

I remember going to a Rally forum night hosted by ALMC a few years back, Ronan Morgan, Nicky Grist, Howard Davies and Michael Barrable were there. It was an excellent night and looking back i suppose Morgan was dropping hints about what is now Rally Ireland. These nights are entertaining yet highlight issues and the perspective of internationally renowned rallymen can be assessed.

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Very hard to balance good stages with the average speeds, but would FIA put them stages on wrc.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Originally posted by anihel
Eugene spoke very well particularly regarding his views on illegal recceing.
He can be very articulate when in a discussion.

What were his views?

Did he offer any ideas or solutions?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also attended the forum and thought it was excellent. I would have liked more questions from the floor though, and I feel that some organisers that were present saw a different perspective from the competitors. Michael O'Carroll was an excellent MC.

·
Tony O'Brien
238 Posts
I was at the forum. Thought it was very good alright. There were alot of varying stories, from ones of embarassment (colim mcrae being caught short) to stories of controversy (the genies views on his championship sabotage in the cork 20). Would definately like to see more of these forums at more rallies to come. West Cork definately set the bar high for rallies for the rest of the year. A very well run event, top notch accomodation and great stages. Looking forward to next year already!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
On behalf of myself and Batty, Chief Marshals for the West Cork Rally, we'd like to express our heartfelt thanks to everyone who turned out to marshal on the event. The weather on saturday was nothing short of perishing, we were amazed that everyone was back at their posts again on Sunday morning and though the day was not just as cold, huge numbers of marshals were required to run the Sunday stages. And huge numbers did indeed turn out. Ye came from all corners of the country. From Donegal, Sligo, Belfast, Wexford and Killarney Motor Clubs, Skibbereen and District Motor Club, Kerry and Limerick Motor Clubs, Birr and Munster Car Clubs, and many more Clubs as well as the several Juniors who turned out to help on sat - it won't be forgotten next year lads. Also, a special thanks to the competitors who, though out of the Rally, put on a bib and spent the remainder of the event marshaling, we know who ye are. Marshaling is often a thankless job but ye shall not go without praise. Thank ye, one and all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts