Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Formerly yotommo
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What suits are out of date for the internationals?is 1 bought in 99 to old?

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Think its ok for this year but nationals only for next year, when are you out on the international :dunno: surely you can afford a new suit

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
FIA 86 Standard suits can't be used in Internationals unless you're in a modified car......
From next year on, FIA 86 standard suits cant be worn in National Rallies either.....
I bought an FIA 86 suit in 1999 but it was early in the year......not sure how you'll be fixed yotommo, check the labels on the suit......

·
Formerly yotommo
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im a meath man like your self fidgy! i think you know me. im also in college so a new suit is out of the question! our local WRC hero would be a bit big for me!:):p

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
from what i understand an 86 standard suit will only do for national events this year and in not valid from next year onwards, it must be an FIA 8856-2000 suit for all events, so basically anyone with an 86 standard suit wont be able to use it after this year,:eek: how ever Ruth motorsport have good prices on new 3 layer suits:cool::cool:

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
BONUS POINTS TO JP RUTH, First outta the traps to offer a relatively cheap suit to the man from Meath.;)

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Rumour has it i am retiring for the twelfth year in a row to concentrate on other things like fatboy so i wont need a new suit

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by PJ_RS1800
FIA 86 Standard suits can't be used in Internationals unless you're in a modified car......
From next year on, FIA 86 standard suits cant be worn in National Rallies either.....
I bought an FIA 86 suit in 1999 but it was early in the year......not sure how you'll be fixed yotommo, check the labels on the suit......
International events FIA Approved clothing homologated to current FIA standard including 8856-2000 standard must be worn [p 108 green book] CAN I WEAR 86 STANDARD 3 LAYER SUIT OR NOT ON COI IN 3 WEEKS IN GP N INTEGRA:dunno:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
[ CAN I WEAR 86 STANDARD 3 LAYER SUIT OR NOT ON COI IN 3 WEEKS IN GP N INTEGRA:dunno: [/quote]

no you will need 8856-2000 spec suit:eek::eek:

·
Colin O'Keeffe
700 Posts
while we are on the standards subject, i bought my sparco 3 layer suit last june. Brand new.. so when do I have to change it? is there a 'sell by date' like seats and harnesses ? is it the same with helmets? when do they run out ?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
17. HELMETS During Rallies and all speed events
competitors must wear crash helmets carrying a label
issued by the relevant standards institute complying to
one of the following standards:
FIA Standard 8860-2004
BS 6658-85 Type A/FR
Snell SA 2000 (USA)
Snell SA 2005 (USA)
SFI 31.1A
SFI 31.2A
Snell M 2000 Autocross (Only)
Snell M95 Autocross (Only)
BS 6658-85 (Karting only)
Snell K98. (Karting only)
EC E22.05. (Karting only)

23. CLOTHING AND OVERALLS
The wearing of rainsuits made from flammable
material over flame retardant overalls is not permitted.
23.1 Rallies, Rallycross Racing and Autocross.
National Events: permitted for M.I. events
FIA homologated Two layer flame retardant overalls,
underwear, socks, boots, balaclava are compulsory (for
Rallies both crew members) with gloves compulsory
for drivers. Flame proof overalls must cover the arms to
the wrists, the legs to the ankles and the torso to the
neck during the competitive sections of the event.
Failure to wear gloves, a crash helmet, flame retardant
overalls or seat belts, properly fastened on the arrival to
start a stage or during a stage will carry the penalty of
exclusion. It is recommended that FIA approved
clothing be used at all times.
End of validity of the FIA 1986 standard for overalls, long
underwear, balaclavas, socks and shoes : 31.12.2007.
End of validity of the FIA 1986 standard for gloves :
23.1.1 Race, Hillclimb
Wearing of Balaclava is compulsory.
The Name and Blood Group of the driver should be
embroidered on the front of overalls otherwise it must
be clearly marked on front of overalls.
The name and blood group on the overalls must be that
of the competitor who is wearing it.
23.2 International Events:
FIA Approved clothing Overalls, balaclava, socks,
shoes, and gloves (optional for navigator) homologated
to Current FIA standard including 8856-2000 standard
must be worn.
N.B. 3 layer suits may be worn without flame
retardant underwear, however care should be taken as
to the choice of underwear worn beneath a 3 layer suit.

·
PETER BOYD
1,839 Posts
Originally posted by Ctdprep
while we are on the standards subject, i bought my sparco 3 layer suit last june. Brand new.. so when do I have to change it? is there a 'sell by date' like seats and harnesses ? is it the same with helmets? when do they run out ?
check the collar of the suit and you'll see the FIA spec embroidered onto it, the type 8856-2000 will be very noticable on it, not sure when the suit spec will change again but you should get a few years use out of one. Its really just a case of checking the "Green Book" every year and making sure your gear is within the spec.

Even with all the specs and regulations there's still people getting away with using Proban overalls on events

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Can you even borrow a suit:dunno: my name and blood group is on my helmet so would that cover me as i dont want to buy a suit for a one off event like what yotommo is doing, had to upgrade my licence already. why do you need a full licence to get an international navigators licence when you cant drive the rallycar anyway:mad:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts