Rally Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
would have to be monaghan single stage. about a mile before long womans grave (cooley mountain) coming around a 3 left flat in a 106 cup car and the back of her skipping about to pass us out.

·
Formerly yotommo
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the jump in mayo 1st stage 2005??? i was marshalling at that corner you were lit over that

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
thought it was going to go end over end alright. frightened the b*ll*cks out of me but sure as andrew purcell always tells me if your not scaring yourself your not going hard enough.:laugh:

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Martin Brady trying to put his overalls on,big boxers.bits everywhere scaaaaaaary:clap::clap: rallycars are easy after that

·
Formerly yotommo
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mike has an entry in for the circuit of munster. we will have to wait and see we have been on so many reserve lists this year!

As for Mr. Tuomey he still has the car so any thing is possible with that man. he was very hard to beat in his class

·
Registered
133 Posts
over staright jump cross roads in clare stages 99, driver never lifted and when we landed the car to off, lock to lock and he held it. Shoulda and woulda been a big one, the driver has since learned to take care over them.
It was one of those moments where the crowd had stepped out on the road to see what was happening and when the car starighted up the people had to jump back, took it slower the next time through!!!

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Scariest moment was as a spectator at Rally of Ireland in 2000 at a hairpin left near Stradbally. Every car that approached the junction was locking up on the loose gravel and shaving the bank (all 3 00s, Austin McHale, Peadar Hurson amongst them). Patrick Elliott braked for the corner well early and the back kicked out and after that, there was no coming back as they belted the two marshals (who were standing in a dangerous spot, a man and his son) over the bank to land right in front of me.

Didn't go to another rally for a year after that, scared the living bejaysus out of me at the time.

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Originally posted by yotommo
at least you know your trying then!
Sometimes it means you re sitting with a plank, scary isnt always about high speed incidents cause a bad driver can frighten at lower speeds. The nervous laugh if you get away with it is good. DCR did you see that crash on tv, the man had a broken leg i think

[Edited on 02102005 by fidgy]

[Edited on 02102005 by fidgy]

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
YOTOMMO are you insulting my driver? last time i help you:mad: propshalft problems,no probs with driver but over the years i sat with some bad ones. The driver that says he wasnt listening is a scary one

·
Formerly yotommo
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not at all fidgy but you had a chuckle after your moment in carlow did you not! have to see that video by the way

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
Most uncomfortable moment was sitting with JP Ruth on the final stage of Galway International 2005. Ballyfa I think it was....anyway, it was the one with the big railway bridge......
We decided during recce that it wasn't as bad as it looked so said we'd drive it as we found it on rally......first time over, fast enough in 4th...all ok......Second time over, flat in 4th, up high.......Final time over it, last stage of a long rally but our class lead was looking a little bit in jepordy......approaching the bridge flat in 4th.....and suddenly he pulls 5th.......highest I've ever been in a rally car!!! When we were up in the air I really thought that we were going to have a major one when we landed!!! Fair play to JP though he kept her lit and held her well on landing!!!! Would give anything to see a photo of that jump but unfortunately no photographers there!!!!

That little moment also led on to another moment....the next rally we done after that was Castlebar and we took McElvaneys jump flat out.......very high and broke engine mounting landing.....impact was so heavy it knocked the in car camera off....

·
Formerly yotommo
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mark Alcorn broke a rear drivers side rim on that jump in mayo after taking it flat and still made it around the Square Left.
KPL blew his engine over the jump. Some great photos of that jump.

[Edited on 12-5-06 by yotommo]

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Always wary of jumps in a small car like 106,micra or ka. A bit hairy on the rebound. Used to sit with John ODowd in his 1300 kadett and he loved the jumps,always as hard as possible,no power so had to keep it lit once he built up speed,11th o/a stonethrowers a few years back,hairy but not scary. A good drift on the top slea head or any stage with low walls and water is scary

·
Formerly 03dublinwrx
2,080 Posts
Monaghan, 1997.. Ex Gilleece Group A Sapphire. We were flying on SS1, Saw Des Moore in the distance and were chasing hard. Mega straight jump taken flat in 6th. Car landed so hard that the rear left wheel exploded and lauched us thru a telegraph pole,pillar and over a ditch, shaved 4 spectators heads and landed in field. Monaghan general was the next stop, car went in the bin. On the reccee we tested the jump loads of times at 40/50 mph and called it a maybe on the notes. On the day we went for it ... notes subsequently changed to a DEFINETLY NOT! ;) Have it on video.. absolutely blessed not to hit a hugh oak tree

1 - 20 of 59 Posts