RallyForums.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PETER BOYD
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking on the MI website and spotted this on the latest bulletin

The Motor Sport Commission has decided that for events run on a National permit issued by MI, homologations of seats, helmets, overalls, gloves and safety belts/harness will remain valid for 3 years after the expiry of the date shown on the relevant label. For International events, FIA requirements will continue to apply.

·
Banned
67 Posts
wot you are saying is

that if you are a national driver or less your safety is not as important . safety is safety no matter what you drive . does this mean charlie donnelly is driving slower on a national than paddy white on an international . !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Anthony Fehily
259 Posts
Originally posted by easy
that if you are a national driver or less your safety is not as important . safety is safety no matter what you drive . does this mean charlie donnelly is driving slower on a national than paddy white on an international . !!!!!!!!!!!!
Not at all, safety equipment that is going out of date is still of very high quality.

I say, well done to MI for finally seeing since and giving the clubman a break.

·
martin mckeown
1,121 Posts
well done again to m.s.i. some clubmen only get out a few times a year and suits and helmets etc are in perfect nick:yahoo:

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
the date is a bit of a sickner why could the have not said this at the start of the year

anyway
anyone want to buy some good as new belts good for 3 more years
:microwave:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
yeah thats a bitch on homies like Fatboy who have already replaced- but good for lads like Fidgy when he is in the WRC Sunbeam older stuff will still be ok:crazy:

Joe King aside though does it mean that national guys are less thought of than international or whats the craic?

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
As far as I know........
International Rallies have to be ran according to FIA regulations therefore the safety equipment would have to be kept up to date accordingly.

In National rallies, the Governing Body (MI) for the country in question will be a member of the FIA and will run their events, again according to FIA regulations, but they can modify the rules and regulations.....(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here please)

I presume therefore that this means the FIA 86 standard equioment which was meant to become extinct at the end of 2007 for National Events is now good till 2010????

A big Well Done to MI anyway :cheers:
It's a good move for the clubmen!!!!

The men who make their living selling safety equipment may not be so happy about his!!!!!

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
I might actually get out to play if i dont have to change my suit for next year, still hard to understand the difference between Joe National and Joe International on the one stage in the one event with the same make of car.Yet we follow the FIA with regards to extinguishers and cars are still being lost so why not go our own way on that

·
Registered
557 Posts
Fair play to MSI giving a break to the clubman, may I suggest to anyone who see's "double standards" being applied to national and international compeditors, that the above rule suggests a minimum requirement of safety equipment before you are allowed on the stages. If you feel that the older equipment does not sufficiently protect you, there is no scruitineer in the country that will object to you having the very latest approved FIA belts, seats and even HANS device should you wish.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Maybe so, but to make every car on the stages as safe as possible would incur huge extra costs on those who own the cars and all but wipe out those who have a larger than average working salary? Fully welded multi-point cages, HANS devices, latest spec suits with fireproof underware, gas-discharge fire extinguishers, foam filled petrol bag tanks with international spec filler nozels, satilite tracker systems and all crews being made to take first responder medical courses would undoubtedly make the sport much much safer. MSI it would appear has to pick the fine line between compeditor safety and financial costs to the compeditor.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not a bad move by MI, considering I saw two crews outside scrutiny last Saturday changing immaculate looking sets of belts because they were out of date.

Does this affect the 1986 kit that has been talked about so much?

·
Ray Fitzpatrick
1,705 Posts
regarding extinguishers, there is nothing to stop competitors carrying bcf extinguishers surplus to 2 handheld foam, the foam has its strong points but maybe people need to be educated in the use of various extinguishers, foam handheld ext's need to be kept as near to upright during operation as there is a solid dip tube which if inverted will merely discharge the carbon dioxide from the cartridge instead of pressurising the extinguisher as designed, (recently seen a competitor using a foam upside down and wondering why it only lasted seconds), no point in mi insisting that equipment be carried if no form of instruction/training is given.
it doesnt need to be long drawn out , maybe 1 min at drivers briefing be used to demonstrate, since most crews now seem to be attending

just my ten cents worth :wacko:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts