Rally Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
nice vid, I see there are four clips of Vatanen from the Circuit in 1980... and a few clips each of Wilson and Airikkala on the 81 Circuit including the clip of Airikkala's car all bent stupid at the back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Vatanen was some Pilot. Crowd control was not existant in those days, imagine our motorsport ireland bloke in the Skoda passing through those stages, he'd have heart failure

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
I've a great video at home of an interview Bertie Fisher done in 1986 after the Galway incident. It was on RTE Sports Stadium and has Michael Lyster interviewing Bertie. They show some clips of bad spectator control and examples of potential accidents, as well as rough images of the aftermath of the Portugal incident.

It shows a clip of a spec control person on the Circuit in 84 or 85 really giving stick to spectators, which I rarely see nowadays, he roars and shouts, telling them to get off a bank. This of course in the same period when Rothmans PR Girls walked down the banks along stages giving out free Rothmans ****...presumably thats why the fellas were there in the first place ! lol ;)

·
Formerly tarmac timo
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking to plum tyndall about being able to get the old rte footage a few years ago at the motorsport show in dublin. It would be great to see some of the original footage. Would it be hard to get the rights now?

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
AFAIK no one individual has the rights. Most of the programs made in the 86 - 87 era and maybe others were joint RTE-UTV productions. Earlier ones produced by Michael O Carroll were made inhouse in RTE and they would have copyright for those. I think Plum has a few old programs for sale on his site, these are programmes they hunted from the RTE archive, but the problem lies where the old film reels weren't exactly cheap in the 70's and were often recorded over once broadcast. So who knows what is out there on peoples early video recorders that even RTE don't have !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts