RallyForums.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Gareth McHale....Irish Times today

In a relatively non-Mexico related item, there is a full page article complete with photos of Gareth testing the 03 Focus with an Irish Times Reporter

Now here's one for ya, when was the last time a full page of the Irish times was devoted to general rallying or Irish rallying !!! Is it because of Ireland's WRC bid...Or is it merely because of Gareth's raised profile and the fact the "Dublin boy" is doing rounds of the WRC that this has come about? Either way, its well written and quality photos too. Well done :D

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by rallyretro]

·
Registered
462 Posts
The sports editor of one of the national papers indicated a few years ago that Irish motorsport would not get any increased publicity until such time as an Irish competitor became successful on the world stage. Gareth's good results should help to increase the awareness of rallying amongst the general sports media.

·
Recce Ranger
2,415 Posts
Suppose we can call their bluff now, but not sure if Gareth won the WRC it would get much coverage in the Indo...

Gabriel

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Saw the piece, nice fancy words and pictures being the Times ..... BUT........

do the AMG 55 Kompressor and 7 Series pilots of Donnybrook, Stillorgan, Ballsbridge and Sandymount, and their SLK Mots and S12 daughters - ie Those who read the Irish Times - really give two hoots about some young fella from the Posh side of Tallaght driving aroung in a Bling Bling Pimped Ford Focus with or without Flat2theMat stickers??????? Roysch??

Thought it a bit strange to see it in the Times rather than a 'cooler' paper....BTW I only saw the piece when my posh cub brother brought home the Times....ya won't see me buying these fancy broadsheets.

[Edited on 6-3-2006 by teamgibbons]

·
Registered
45 Posts
:p
TeamGibbons

I thought it was a really good article, Especially the way the car was described and the stage,

I certainly don’t have a AMG 55, 7 series. and I am from Donnybrook... as for "cooler paper" comment, I would not be sure that any other papers in the south could be called a "paper of record" other that the Irish Times.....

And I can not think of the last time a paper wrote an article about Rallying in Ireland,

( By the way I don’t work for the Irish times)

Well not to be getting in to the rights or wrongs of the of the print media,

I would rather see the full page spread on the result that Gareth got on the weekend, than a writer giving his thoughts on getting a free ride in a WRC in the Dublin mountains, (I wish I was him),

What I am getting at is the coverage that Gareth got on the weekend was sh*t ( and that is putting it lightly).

I would view the result in the same light as someone buying an F1 car and entering an F1 GP and coming sixth, the coverage of that would be huge ... I don’t think the media realise the achievement or the size of it,

On the six o clock news all McHale got was Loeb one and Irish Man Gareth McHale came sixth, what a load of Cr*p..

I am going to listen to des Cahill sports show tonight, let see if he even gets a mention..

[Edited on 6-3-2006 by jimp]

·
Registered
277 Posts
I got the Irish independant today and there is no mention of Gareth or teh Mayo rally, I think that is a disgrace.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Originally posted by jimp
TeamGibbons

I thought it was a really good article, Especially the way the car was described and the stage,

I certainly don’t have a AMG 55, 7 series. and I am from Donnybrook... as for "cooler paper" comment, I would not be sure that any other papers in the south could be called a "paper of record" other that the Irish Times.....

And I can not think of the last time a paper wrote an article about Rallying in Ireland,

( By the way I don’t work for the Irish times)

Well not to be getting in to the rights or wrongs of the of the print media,

I would rather see the full page spread on the result that Gareth got on the weekend, than a writer giving his thoughts on getting a free ride in a WRC in the Dublin mountains, (I wish I was him),

What I am getting at is the coverage that Gareth got on the weekend was sh*t ( and that is putting it lightly).

I would view the result in the same light as someone buying an F1 car and entering an F1 GP and coming sixth, the coverage of that would be huge ... I don’t think the media realise the achievement or the size of it,

On the six o clock news all McHale got was Loeb one and Irish Man Gareth McHale came sixth, what a load of Cr*p..

I am going to listen to des Cahill sports show tonight, let see if he even gets a mention..

[Edited on 6-3-2006 by jimp]
I'm only, loike, having a bit of craic seeing that it's the paper most people associate with the upper class business type, roysch?:D:D:D:D

I read it and yes it is fantastic to see a full page spread on one of the many fabulous WRC cars we have in Ireland.

As for the Indo, sideways, i saw a article titled 'Mighty MacHale Scores Sixth in Mexico' today, about one fifth of a page with no pics - granted it may have been the city final edition as it was being handed out free in college today - no mention in the Herald which i find disappointing. No mention of Rally Ireland either which is not just disappointing, but a downright disgrace. PR company mustn't be doing their job - they made a right mess of it last year. The majority of Sligo people didn't know it was on last year!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Originally posted by jimp
, I would not be sure that any other papers in the south could be called a "paper of record" other that the Irish Times.....

on getting a free ride in a WRC in the Dublin mountains, (I wish I was him

the star prints rallying news!!

As for you wanting a ride in the Dublin mountains! well I hear if yougo to that nite club on Belgard rd beside road stone and tell some big mot "jaaaysus ure bleedin gorgus an anyways" then if you have a car to take you there then you could get that ride in the dublin mountains.

If you dont have a car Im sure the big girl could steal you one!

Mc Hale wouldnt like to hear that you think he lives in Posh Tallaght- shame on you Team Gibbons:mad:

·
Ben McCaul
124 Posts
Have to agree with jimp, I live in one of those areas and i don't drive a fancy car but I do read the Times..... Wuld be caught dead witha tabloid!

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
I have just walked into the office this morning, an office where no-one follows rallying or knows a thing about it and everyone started asking me about Gareth MacHale and Mexico and Rally Ireland!!!
At least motorsport is gettin some publicity, the Irish Examiner had a big write up about Rally Ireland Friday or yesterday aswell. At least some non- rallying folk are taking notice and realising what kind of talent we have in the country!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well let me tell you it was last night on me road home i says il stop for a pint in jackies didn,t i only walk in their they were sittin at the bar talkin about rallying the ludoers .Who this boy mc hale they says and i say sure hes the won that won the Billy Coleman award this year not a clue had they got:eek::eek::eek:

·
Formerly tarmac timo
1,663 Posts
We need consistent coverage of the sport in thiscountry not for it to be high profile when something bad happens ie; a death or just when theres an Irishman doing well.
This post is in no way demeaning Gareths great achievement, but I`m just highlighting the fickleness of our useless mainstream press in this country. We dont want to end up with a load of fairweather rally fans like the Formula 1 lot.:mad:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Be carefull what you wish for,
While there's undoubtfully many upsides to better press and tv for rallying in this country, there could also be many pitfalls. A big surge in interest brought about by better coverage could greatly increase the amount of people wanting to get licences and get into the sport making hard to get entrys even harder. A big upturn in spectators would probably unfortunately also bring ever more undesirables to the ditches, and if spectator numbers were to grow quite a lot will clubs have to start looking into curtailing there movement around stages on safety grounds. If the sport was to move more into the public eye would organisers be pressurised to involve more health and safety personel (ie. this years refueling fiasco in Galway). Might TD's start enquiring why rally cars driven on public roads are exempt from NCT's while over the water they are required to have MOT's.
Might things be nicer the way they are, if we kept it all our little secret?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts