RallyForums.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any body here any news from Rally Portugal, it was on at the weekend. Did the event go as well as Rally Irelands. :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes, event ran very well apparently in very bad weather conditions. Very good atmosphere in the host town, service area and on the stages despite the bad weather. Regular updates throughout the day from the press officer who also had regular updates on all major TV channels.

·
PETER BOYD
1,839 Posts
My boss was out in the area on a golfing holiday and said there was a great buzz around the place, lots of coverage on the tv. When he inquired about the rally in his hotel he was handed a free program, lots of info in the program, map of service, rally offices, parc ferme etc.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rally Portugal
I heard that a bit of farce, safety standards nowhere near Rally Ireland. Those things are good to hear when they are meant to be the competition for the slot.
Ok it rained, but it does that here every weekend and we dont let it bother us.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Originally posted by jonb
Rally Portugal
I heard that a bit of farce, safety standards nowhere near Rally Ireland.
I had heard quite the opposite. But then again, you hear varying reports about Rally Ireland depending on who you speak to also. Everyone will have their own views on things.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ciara
A respected member of he media, with over 15 years working on ITC events and 5 years full time on WRC was my source.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Jon,

I was not questioning your post, just saying that different people see things in different ways depending on what their role is.

Someone who is based in a service area will not see the stages and vice versa. A competitor will see things differently to a spectator or a member of the media or a service crew.

What aspect of safety was poor Jon ??

[Edited on 22-3-2006 by CiaraC]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ciara
No offence taken.
Media given no freedom, Yet general public standing were ever they like and a VIP area in a box junction back about 200 metres at the end of a 500metre straight.
A wipe out would have been very easy, essentially nothing has changed since the good old Rally Portugal days.
But no doubt with using a stadium the service and other facilities were no doubt superb. It just depends what the FIA weight as been the most important criteria to get into the WRC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts