Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marshals Required to help out on the Rally Of The Lakes. Free accomodation and grub for two days. See the Rally from the best seat in the house!!
Marshals meeting on Sat 29th of April at 8.30am in Meelin Village at the church. Sun 30th at 7.30am in Kenmare at Whites Garage. To book your bed, contact Stage Commander Jerry O'Sullivan 087 7970049.:springer::springer::springer:

·
Registered
866 Posts
theres always a catch in it :gotcha::whip::washmouth::moo:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
yeah you get to help keep the rally running thats the catch

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
The catch is you are out from early in the morning, the sambos arraive at 4pm and are thrown to you like feeding time at the zoo and you get dogs abuse from spectators, you get left at the main road holding a rope to stop punters going up to the stage as its competition cars only.

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
Thats just the attitude to have ruby you fuck1ng assh0le.
Why not stop playing with your toy cars and get up off ur arse and help out at a rally.
The marshalls are treated extremly well at the Lakes. Marshalled there a few times before.... free breakfast rolls etc in the morning, visited between every stage and given more supplies, drinks sambos rally bulletins etc, free dinner in the evening and free accommodation......
If everyone had ur attitude there would be no rallying in the country

MH I'm not available to marshall as I'm doin the rally but if I wasn't I'd certainly be helpin out as in Killarney ur always really well looked after....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good man Pierce. Its a pity that so much of the marshaling in this country is being done by so few. It would take the pressure off if a few more did help out. In fact, the Juniors could easily help out on the saturday as thats the day its really hard to get help, with most people being working. Anyway, if anyone is available for either day, it would be greatly appreciated.:cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its very easy to get involved in marshaling. Just turn up at the designated meeting place at the time specified. No inexperienced marshal will be expected to marshal a junction alone. For future reference, most clubs run marshals training courses, while Motorsport Ireland also run courses around the country. I'll try to keep the forum updated on the dates of these courses and you could also keep an eye on www.rally.ie. A marshals help is always greatly appreciated and the Clubs recognise that without their help, the events simply won't run.

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
I'll be there marshalling. It is usually good craic, great weekend and usually the weather is grand. Sure what more do you want??

Yes, sometimes I have a 12V telly to pass away the time between runs!!

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Always sideways i doubt you had many spectators to mind if you were on your own or else you are a big chap who frightens people.sub555 pack 3 friends in the car with you and theres a good chance you get a junction together

·
Registered
228 Posts
id love to be able to help out but my exams start just after the rally so its not lookin to good for me to b down ther at the moment! :help::help::help::help:

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
Turn up at the designated meeting point and tell the stage commander your situation and you'll be put with an experienced group.................
The fact that you're inexperienced means you'll be put with a bigger group which in turn means you'll be put on a big junction...............

·
Registered
51 Posts
From my experience,the most important thing to remember when marshalling at any rally other than staying safe, is to approach the spectators in a polite and friendly manner. If a group come towards you, approach them and tell them what time the cars are due, which way they are coming and what time they are due back if it is run twice. then tell them where they're not allowed stand. don't ever roar and shout at anyone. Just walk over to them and ask them would they mind moving some where safer. if an individual won't move or if a couple of spectators arrive late and try to stand in front of the people that have been there a while, try and get the crowd on your side to move them by saying these people have been here for the past hour waiting, and if that fails tell them that you will stand in front of them and block their view.
Show the spectators the safety plan for your junction and always make sure you and your fellow marshals allow people to stand in the same area's.
One other point, some of the spectator control's get a bit excited and carried away on the day and can undo your good work with one sentence over the P.A.
Always ask them are they happy with the way your junction is marshalled. If there is a problem walk over to the spectators and ask them to move.
Best of luck to all who go marshalling.

·
Formerly gee
3,066 Posts
Originally posted by jbrennan
From my experience,the most important thing to remember when marshalling at any rally other than staying safe, is to approach the spectators in a polite and friendly manner. If a group come towards you, approach them and tell them what time the cars are due, which way they are coming and what time they are due back if it is run twice. then tell them where they're not allowed stand. don't ever roar and shout at anyone. Just walk over to them and ask them would they mind moving some where safer. if an individual won't move or if a couple of spectators arrive late and try to stand in front of the people that have been there a while, try and get the crowd on your side to move them by saying these people have been here for the past hour waiting, and if that fails tell them that you will stand in front of them and block their view.
Show the spectators the safety plan for your junction and always make sure you and your fellow marshals allow people to stand in the same area's.
One other point, some of the spectator control's get a bit excited and carried away on the day and can undo your good work with one sentence over the P.A.
Always ask them are they happy with the way your junction is marshalled. If there is a problem walk over to the spectators and ask them to move.
Best of luck to all who go marshalling.
Why isn't there more people like you? A few Rally Ireland marshalls could have taken that advice when it came to giving the "media" access! Also was watching in -car footage from the COI today and some marshalls really do stand in drastic places, they should be in near enough the same place as the spectators, not in front of all the tape 2" from the cars!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi Aiden,
There are no details of the Marshals training night for the lakes so my advice if you want to get involved is to ring Jerry O Sullivan on the number at the top of the thread or send a U2U to MH622.Jerry or Mary will make sure you're sorted.
Cork Motor club are running those stages so you'll be well looked after!!:yahoo::yahoo:

[Edited on 23-4-2006 by pat4wd]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes indeed Pat, it seems Killarney won't be running a marshals training night as most of their Stage Commanders are from other clubs and are expected to train up their own marshals. If Motorsport Ireland were any good, it would be compulsary for clubs to run these nights. You always learn something new, for example the one that Cork Motor Club ran was very informitave, all the new guidelines on what to do in the event of a bad crash etc. But let me just say that if anybody is nervous about being alone on a junction, just speak up at the meeting point and we'll put you with someone experienced. We'll also do a quick run thru procedures on the morning so that everybody should have some basic knowledge of what to do in an emergency. The event wont run without marshals, even the inexperienced ones are desperately needed to be trained up for future events. It used to be a thankless job but more and more competitors are recognising the huge effort and commitment by such a small number of enthusiasts. Thanks again.:surrender:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts