RallyForums.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me whats the situation on getting rally license's these days??? What I mean is that, do you have to go to get a certificate from the rally school of Ireland??? And do you just have to apply for a normal day in the rally school of Ireland and they give you a certificate at the end of the day???

·
Stephen Doherty
983 Posts
how do you mean,?? new regs is it?? should i apply now or is it to late?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by Rallyhead
Can anybody tell me whats the situation on getting rally license's these days??? What I mean is that, do you have to go to get a certificate from the rally school of Ireland??? And do you just have to apply for a normal day in the rally school of Ireland and they give you a certificate at the end of the day???
If it's your first DRIVERS competition licence you have to apply to Motorsport Ireland for a "starter pack" which will cost you 20 euro.
You have a number on this which you quote to Rally School Ireland when you are booking your course.
The MI starter courses are only held on certain days(Tuesdays I think) so booking a standard day at RSI will not do.
Here's the info from Motorsport Ireland:

Introduction to Motorsport Courses
Some information for Newcomers

With effect from 1.12.2004, all newcomer drivers in Circuit Racing, Stage Rallying and Karting will be required to undertake a Motorsport Ireland "Introduction to Motorsport Course" prior to being issued with a competition licence.

The aim of these courses is to give each newcomer a safe and enjoyable introduction to the sport and prepare them for their first event. The courses are 6 - 8 hours long and include theory, practical and on-track/stage driving tuition and are taught by Level 1 grade Coaches who have been certified by the NCTC and MI. Also, successful completion of a course is counted as one upgrading signature i.e. one guaranteed event finish!
Here is a brief outline of what you will need to do:
1. Apply to Motorsport Ireland for an Introductory Pack: Cost = €20

This can be done by telephoning or calling to the MI office at 34 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, Phone: 01 6775628. The pack can be paid for by credit card.

The pack will contain:
A Current MI Yearbook (containing the Rules & Regulations)
A Licence Application Form
An IRDS (Insurance) Application Form (for Rallying only)
Course Details - how to book, costs etc.
An Introductory DVD/Video
Some additional preparatory information.
A Booking Reference Number
2. Book Your Course: (Quote your booking reference number)

Rallying:
Rally School Ireland, Gola, Scotstown, Co.Monaghan, Ph: 047 89098 - www.rallyschoolireland.ie - Cost of course = €350.00

Racing:
Mondello Park, Donore, Naas, Co.Kildare, Ph: 045 860200 -
www.mondellopark.ie - Cost of course = €250.00

Karting:
Kiltorcan Raceway Kart Circuit, Kiltorcan, Ballyhale, Co.Kilkenny.
Ph: 056 7768914 or 087 2464872 - www.kiltorcan.com - Cost of course = €90.00 (Note: Children 16 years of age or younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian)

3. Complete the Course:

Here is a brief outline of the course content:

Sign-on and Registration
An introduction to the course
Safety Clothing & Equipment
Safety Signs and Signals
Driving Theory
Practical Driving Instruction
Driving Assessment
Event Procedures (what to expect on the day)
Rules & Regulations
Officials and their duties
Pre-Event Preparation
Scrutineering
Competitor Behaviour
Oral/Written Theory Test
De-brief
Close & Course Evaluation
Your Licence Application Form will be stamped by the School
4. Apply to Motorsport Ireland for your Competition Licence:

Cost = €40 if you are a member of an Affiliated Motor Club and you have had your form stamped by the club, otherwise the cost will be €80.

Now you are ready to go!

Best of luck and we hope you enjoy yourself.

[Edited on 29-12-2005 by pat4wd]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts