Rally Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Yup, as the title suggests, I'm a virgin rally spectator. I watch it on the box but never imagined the Irish rally scene would be this big (I've been looking into it over the last few days :)).

So, figured I'd go have a look, esp as we might get a proper WRC next year, I can make all the mistakes this year and be better prepared next time out.

So, I'll hand it over to the collective. How do I go about watching a rally? What do I need to do? Whats the best whiskey to keep me warm? etc etc.

Cheers,

Brian.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome aboard.If you're going as a spectator pick your event...by a programme(map included) select a suitable viewing point from the map and away with you.
If you know of anyone nearby who has gone to rallies in the past link up with them for one or two events.
If you really take to it join the nearest Motor Club in your area and you can really get to the heart of things.
If you're used to track racing I think you'll really enjoy the atmosphere at rallying.
All the crews willing to have a chat,no problem getting into the service area for close-ups of the cars,plenty of autograph oppurtunities etc., so that's my tuppence worth.The rest of the gang will be on here soon enough to add their advice I'm sure.
BTW Don't go walking through peoples gardens etc on the stages,PR is a very sensitive issue with rallying and messing about is seriously frowned upon.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I see you are a dub, be carefull when you go to any rally in Tyrone, they dont like the dubs up there.:laugh::laugh:

Only messin, welcome, you should maybe try and go to Birr this weekend, it looks like it could be a good event, there is some very good entrys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

In reality, the main rally is the only weekend I'm free for a few weeks, but would love to have a try at others in the future. It looks like we'll only be there on the Saturday anyway so will have to try to make the best of it. Is it possible to see much of the cars during the day and get to see them in service as well? Just wondering realistically, can you watch the big guys and then wander off to another stage?

Brian.

·
Formerly RS200
739 Posts
yeah usually you would see and average of 3 stages a day, thats not going mad after the top 8 cars and running like turkeys down the road in 30 second sprints. thats top 30 and then pacing urself to ur car and then drive and then u shude have time for a wee quick cuppa and a smokamerrette if u have a good navigator.

altho welcoming new fans is one thing, but im also dreading these new people who will appear and wreck the whole show all these boy racers that knows damn all bout rallying with there carryouts etc........ they will def increase if wrc elects ireland.

·
Brian Fenton
Toyota GT86
1,222 Posts
An invaluable tip for spectators and marshalls alike, a portable DVD Player for the downtime:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by RS200
yeah usually you would see and average of 3 stages a day, thats not going mad after the top 8 cars and running like turkeys down the road in 30 second sprints. thats top 30 and then pacing urself to ur car and then drive and then u shude have time for a wee quick cuppa and a smokamerrette if u have a good navigator.

altho welcoming new fans is one thing, but im also dreading these new people who will appear and wreck the whole show all these boy racers that knows damn all bout rallying with there carryouts etc........ they will def increase if wrc elects ireland.
Excellent (to the first point :)). Whats best, parking up and walking down the stage (is that what we do?) to watch then walking back, driving and skipping a stage and then repeating? Obviously the cars won't be in Sligo again on Saturday night so what time would we expect to need to be there to see them working on the cars before the off or is that done over lunch?

Sorry to harp on about what to do, but I'd love to get the best experience out of it as possible, and what better than to ask those who know.

As to the second point, you're right. It's always annoying when events get over run by idiots. But if you see two blokes lost in a blue Dublin Merc, give us a hand :D. We've done a fair few international racing events, it's just the learning curve on the first one is always sharp.

Thanks again, Brian.

·
Formerly gee
3,066 Posts
good sandwhices and a flask of coffee is always god to saves you waiting in chipy cues and farting about towns. much of the rest is covered above and as my father said when i first started following the rallies "never bring a d 1ckhead with you son, as you'l always find one there" and i think RS200 sum'd up those that usually let the side down.

sommon sense is the main factor and rally ireland will be VERY strict i would think about spectator control and i'd doubt too many folks will be running up roads between cars. also it will have stages well spaced out to allow for road clearence of any offs and to cut down on the chance of stage cancellations so welcome and good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Originally posted by up-the-dubs
Originally posted by RS200

Excellent (to the first point :)). Whats best, parking up and walking down the stage (is that what we do?) to watch then walking back, driving and skipping a stage and then repeating? Obviously the cars won't be in Sligo again on Saturday night so what time would we expect to need to be there to see them working on the cars before the off or is that done over lunch?

Sorry to harp on about what to do, but I'd love to get the best experience out of it as possible, and what better than to ask those who know.

As to the second point, you're right. It's always annoying when events get over run by idiots. But if you see two blokes lost in a blue Dublin Merc, give us a hand :D. We've done a fair few international racing events, it's just the learning curve on the first one is always sharp.

Thanks again, Brian.
Brian,

We're travelling up from the Pale on Friday night so you're quite welcome to give us a buzz and follow us. We'll be driving a silver MG ZS (no, we're not boy racers!).

A note to all real and true rally spectators, let's not be afraid to speak out against any morons who try to ruin this and help the marshals and organisers get what we want here next year: Loeb, Solberg, Gronholm and the rest of the WRC circus! :laugh:

If you're travelling up on Friday night, let us know and you can travel up in convoy and we'll give you the low-down on where to go and what to do.

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
One thing to watch for is the time that the first car is due to start the stage. If you pick a spot near the end of a stage, you will have another 5 to 7 minutes before the first car arrives. That will give you time for a cuppa, etc. As well as that, watch the last "00" car, 001. The first competing car should be max 2 minutes behind the 001.

When parking, always turn the car and face it out when parking. It makes it easier to get out.
Try not to park in people's drives etc as that can annoy locals and make it harder for the organisers next time.

Try to get a Ordinance Survey Discovery series of the stage area before hand. The programme map can be small, have sponsors logos over roads etc and the OS map can make it easy to judge distances (one side of one square is one km)

The approach that I take is to skip stages, ie watch stage 1, 3, 5, 7 and watch all the cars through the last stage. As well as that, I carry a small stool, bottle of water and spare batterys for the camera (I'm lazy, I don't want to walk back to the car during the stage).

Typically at junctions there will be a few locals. Ask them for their refommendations for the best spots. Most of them will tell you.

·
Formerly RS200
739 Posts
i always try to find a shitty road were not many can people will go coz they've all got lowered cars etc.......... but not the old astra, shes like a 4x4 she'll climbs walls if asked.

note: astra is off the road at moment, cant get mot'd til april, maybe use a hire car because cudnt risk getting another fine.

·
Formerly RS1800
2,979 Posts
Bring suitable footwear. Big auld work/hiking boots or wellies are advisable. even if the weather's dry you'll always find a wet patch in a field or a ditch or cow shite at this time of year :barf: Bring spare socks too just incase. Nothin worse than walkin and standin all day with big squelchy socks on ya!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts