Rally Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Colin O'Keeffe
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a quick rack and well its very heavy and I find it difficult to steer sometimes ( aka Mondello Rallysprint on 6th Dec. ) so I want to get power steering..

I heard from someone that I need a rack from the 1.9 gti 205 and the pump from a 106. this correct? are they expensive ?

·
matt mitchell
2,730 Posts
u can get an electric steering column from a 1.0 12v or 1.2 16v (98 - 00 ) corsa and a control box from quick motorsport. £550.00 for all or there abouts ;)

the electric pump or the cheaper control unit are a waste of time and money;) had both and they are no use,lost the entry fees for three rallies because of them so the quickmotorsport would of been cheaper in the long run :roll:
+ u have a great amount of adjustment from it;)

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
that seems very expensive hh do a kit for about 250 and the forest boys over in uk swear by them there is another company doing the kit for about 100 and the are susposed to be as well .
what sort of bother had you ???

as for a 205 some of the last of the gti's had ps try finding a crashed one and take the rack and pump off it.

·
Colin O'Keeffe
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what happens if the power steering pump fails? does the steering lock up or does it just turn really heavy ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
my last car was a nova it had a quick rack, I took it out and put in a corsa powersteering rack and 106 electric pump,it was wired through a realy and never give any trouble

·
Registered
557 Posts
4 years competing with a Nova power steering rack and Saxo electric pump, has never needed attention since fitted.

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
did any of the latter 205's come with ps if so a rack out of one of them would do and a pump out of a crashed saxo shouldn be to expensive maybe 100€

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Ctdprep
what happens if the power steering pump fails? does the steering lock up or does it just turn really heavy ?
it just gets relly heavy thats all but its still driveable,
the 1900cc 205 gti the later type had power steering why not get one off a 1.9 205 with the pump, the rack and pipes and use the inside of the quick rack with the outer body of the power steering and it wll be a quick rack with power steering, this works as i done it before on a rallycross car before.. even the 309gti powersteering pump and pipes will work as well

·
High Octane Sniffer
2,460 Posts
Originally posted by JJ
Originally posted by rossgamble1987
Sorry for interupting your post but I also would like to put a steering rack in my car
its a car u need to put a rack in.
#

What that suppose to mean JJ just cause your "lucky" to have a bit of cash to float about in a WRC car dosent mean everyone else does W A N K E R by the way I do have a car k smart fella:mad:

·
Colin O'Keeffe
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was talking to a mechanic/scruitineer today..he said he got the rack from a 205 automatic and a 106 pump for his 205 gti rally car when he had one..

Anyone know where I can get one of those racks or does anyone have any ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts