RallyForums.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second in Cork in an old group N car!!

2 fastest times beating a legend like Kenny Mc Kinstry.

No group N car came near him over the jumps at the end of the Anner stage, he was magic it looked like something from Finland WRC.

This young fella has talent, never really paid any heed to him till yesterday.

Well done to him and his co driver, it was some show you put on!! Well done homie!

Where was this fella when they were handing out Billy Coleman awards?

·
Registered
154 Posts
maybe he never applied:dunno: in fairness thet was a serious result yesterday but he did.nt really do anything last year. 2nd o/a on the last 3 rounds of the 206cup hardly enough 2 beat the MIGHTY machale:laugh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
This Lad has some real driving talent, went out on stage 3 yesterday but watched Murphy next run through, he was a different class, taking lines no one else had the b*lls to try. has to be a star of the future, this lad needs the backing to see if he can make it. Herd a story before he was taking time out of Phil Collins in West Cork in his fathers old Sunbeam. If this lad cant make the brake through its a crime against motorsport.
Well done, keep up the good work.

·
Formerly Hbx
721 Posts
Owen was plaughed with bad luck last year, yesterday was the first time he had a 4 wheel drive car in the woods, he kept it neat and tidy all day, if anyone had of been in the middle of the 22k stage, they would have seen what Owen Murphy is about, fully comitted, neat and precise at the same time and there's no panic inside in the car, all calm and under control. The lad has the talent, yesterday just proved any doubters wrong. On Lar's point, he led Collins after 2stages on the 2004 Cork 20, but retired on ss3.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The report on rally.ie talks about us spectators maybe in a few years looking back and having seen something special, history in the making if you will?

I reckon having seen him 3 times yesterday that it was something special, he was so fast it blew me away- no other group N evo looked so well.

And thats not a slur on Stone Mental or Pete Willoughbyy, but this kid was something else.

Hope he can continue with the championship.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Owen Murphy is a genuine driving talent. He was a front runner in the 206 last year, but his commitment needed a slightly stronger car.
He had that same car in the Fastnet 2 years ago and shocked the National guys at the time.
Owen has the potential, I hope his Fiesta campaign works out for him, as he has amazing ability behind the wheel of a rally car.
He was also held up on Stage 3 by another competitor and could not get passed, thus a broken windscreen.
If you never heard of Owen previous you may start paying attention.
Why did he not get the Coleman award, because he still has to serve his apprenticeship in Rallying and too much too soon is not always a good thing.
He needs to get into a WRC car, has anyone a spare set of keys.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
World cars dont have keys lad:laugh:

But your right he is some driver by the looks of it.

Shoot me down here but was his pace on the fastnet 2 yrs ago not average?

I wasnt at the rally so I cant say for sure, but I remember on the telly the lad giving an interview and saying he couldnt get over the pace of the lGrp N lads up front? So I thought he was just there driving along?

No matter his pace on gravel is not in doubt anyway.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by Tropsrotom

Shoot me down here but was his pace on the fastnet 2 yrs ago not average?

I wasnt at the rally so I cant say for sure, but I remember on the telly the lad giving an interview and saying he couldnt get over the pace of the lGrp N lads up front? So I thought he was just there driving along?

No matter his pace on gravel is not in doubt anyway.
Yeah,I remeber the interview trops,but what he meant was that he felt he was really on it as it was the first time he would have felt the power and handling of an EVO,but when he saw the times of the other guys in GP N it made him realise just how fast these guys were.
Owen was only 18 at the time.
The year before last he won the Ford academy in the UK which involved a number of trips over and back.He was up against some good competition at the time,a certain Darren Gass and a young Nesbitt were among the drivers.There were a few of the top young guys from Scotland,England and Wales as well.
Part of the prize for winning it was to be a drive in the BRC in a Ford Ka I think but Ford were reviewing their motorsport finances at the time so it came to nothing.I think they brought him over for a days testing or something like that afterwards.
Owen has always been fast.I think it was two years ago he did Mondello in the old yellow Talbot on the Saturday and entered the Tipperary Autocross on the way home on the Sunday.He was the overall winner in the autocross that day...beat specials and all.
The support Owen is getting from his family is incredible.They're not quite the millionaires you come to expect with a huge effort like this but Jerry(his father) is out servicing for him every event and making all the arrangements for travel,shipping ,you name it, he and his wife does it.
If ever a driver and his family deserved to make it's Owen and his family,(R&R Tyres in Ballincollig).
I'm delighted he's finally getting the recognition he deserves and hopefully the coverage will give him some new sponsorship to allow hm to go on and take some of the pressure off poor oul Jerry.:)

[Edited on 20-2-2006 by pat4wd]

·
Registered
763 Posts
I take my hat off to owen, fantastic drive yesterday!! he was in a class of his own,i hope people are watching this lad and help him along the way!! if i can get within a half a sec a mile of him ill be happy!! very happy!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ya was down there yesterday but only saw owen on one stage but on the stage that we saw he was easily the quickest.. and definitely trying the hardest trevor j second.. great result and best of luck to him in the rest of the championship..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by easy
what happened to that fella moore . i thought he was hot stuff . or maybe had no competition last year . nice to see him getting beat.
Why is it nice to see someone getting beaten?:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well done Hbx. I'd say that was some spin. In fairness to yourself and Owen, ye really held it together. Coming second to McKinstry is as good as winning. Just goes to show, Autocross and Autograss both made Owen the driver he is. He learned that control down in Campbells Quarry in Clonakilty and in Doyles Quarry in Killarney. Must have been some learning curve for you both tho? Well done again Owen and Gary. :laugh:

·
Formerly Hbx
721 Posts
MH622, the key was learning from the best! I remember being taken through road books, making and changing notes and timing cards one faithful weekend at the sligo stages a good few yrs ago now, and whatever results I achieve, I owe it to them! On a previous point, he is doing the full championship although he is likely to miss the Cork forestry as it clashes with round of the Fiesta cup in England.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great drive by Eoin Murphy, the times were amazing, the times he put in on the 16 miler must have meant some commitment in the fast narrow stuff near the end big congrats to him and his co driver Gary.

Brilliant drive heres to more of the same in Mitchelstown.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Only found out lastnite y u went wit ur wild card HBX congrats on a super drive & the best bit of pr to hit the woods wit a while keep her lit 4 the year boys

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Homie done play some fly ass shit in them there Malcom Wilson woods!!

Preach with me breathern Murphy, Murphy, Murphy!!!

He could be following Mc Hale to WRC stardom:cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts