RallyForums.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Ollie O Donovan / Dave Moynihan retired yet again yesterday this time with mechanical failure.......Manifold this time burning Steering Rack etc.

This is Retirement number 16 for him in this car .... Is this a record for mechanical failures....?

See John Mc Gaffin retired with Hub failure too........

·
Registered
316 Posts
16 retirements and he hasnt changed his prep company . thats a bit silly

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
WRCs cost a lot to keep reliable and its the old story that buying is only half the problem with them. Phonecalls to prodrive cost serious money

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
Originally posted by davi
16 retirements and he hasnt changed his prep company . thats a bit silly
who would you recomend then ??? kpl does have a fair amount of trouble with his car as well so thats harper out

never see dmg in big mechincal trouble maybe who he gets to look after the car is up for the job used to have some lads from wayne lee motorsport on events i know he has his own lads as well

wonder does he send all his components back to prodrive to be refurbished and not do them in house like harper and mckinsrty

still reckon dom buckly is the man mcnulty or bolands cars never seem to mis a beat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dunno to be honest as has already been said above they cost s***loads of money to keep going and on the stage. It was a general question to the forum really as I now that he has only finished an event once in the car.

With a lottery win I would probably go for Dom Buckley as his prep and performance results stand up to any scrutiny.

As usual it'll be down to the cost of money but then again non-finished dont attract sponsors either...

[Edited on 27-3-2006 by 22shannon]

·
Registered
316 Posts
he won clare in 04 in the s8. didnt do much else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by davi
he won clare in 04 in the s8. didnt do much else.

Yeah he won Clare in the S8 and had a good run at Lurgan Park in it too.....

But thats all.... Pity though cos there is no doubt he is worth watching if he could actually get the car through the stages.

I mean its not always easy getting to the first stage to make sure you see him. You needed to be on the first 1.5 miles of Clare last year to see him before the engine went "bye-bye" In fairness he switched it off before it lunched itself.

At least hes had no gearbox trouble for a while........

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Who runs all his machinery on the sites in england:dunno: theyre obviously more reliable or he couldnt afford the subaru :cool:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Originally posted by 22shannon
"bye-bye" In fairness he switched it off before it lunched itself.
Cedit there- some Mc Kinstry Hire customers would just keep the foot on her till she is well blown.

Bit like Tom Cruise in Top Nascar, or Days of Thunder or whatever its called.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well he said himself at service that the car was gone tired becacuse Nesbitt, McKinstry and Harrison have all used it alot over the years.

He will be using a Corolla ( possibly Donnelleys?) for the Circuit of Munster, he is actually a really nice to talk to .

Twas a broken driveshaft that strted it all off

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
He will be using a Corolla ( possibly Donnelleys?) for the Circuit of Munster, he is actually a really nice to talk to .

NO ONE EVER SAID ANYTHING DIFFERENT BUT HE APPEARS TO BE A BIT HARD ON CARS MECHANICALLY.

·
Stephen Doherty
983 Posts
mckinsterys reliability is gone down big time.no disrespect to the man or im not saying i could a better job,but look at the last couple events kenny,o donovan,nesbitt have done..mechanical failure all the time.. i think he needs to get a new car as andrew and especially jim have knocked the pineapple out of those cars.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't be knocking McKinstry. Everybody has a bad run of luck, and I am sure that everything will work out for him again. Some of these drivers can be quite rough on cars aswell y'now, and if I owned a prep company I would be very careful on who I would hire to. A lot of the guys with Kenny are there a long time, and they get more than a car, they get the best free advice that you could get !

Dont cry Kenny, we still luv you, and it will get better !!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts