Rally Forums banner

motorsport for young boy

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  William Neill 
#1 ·
what is the best option for getting the young boy into motorsport?

karts?
junior rods?
wait to he has license?

;):yes::roll::p:eek::cool::D:dunno::kiss::laugh::caution::barf::):(

#3 ·
he is bored of ploughing though jack. needs something that involves more speed . like you on the snapper lawnmower :p:roll::(:caution::barf::eek::yes::idea::cool::laugh::):kiss:

#7 ·
what kind of money does karting involve? can they be hired/prepared or just bought diy job etc? :roll::p:cool::):barf:;):caution::D:(:yes::dunno::eek::kiss::laugh::idea:

#8 ·
if ya buy a good kart maybe spend about 1000-1500 euro ya mite get something handy, entries arent expensive, tyres will last a while but its like any thing once ya start spending its impossible to stop, if he is aged between 8-12 its the cadets which is great to watch all 60cc karts easy and cheap to run 12-16 its 100cc which is a bit faster i think now the rotax max is the class for them if ya check it out with motorsport ireland they will tell you but certainly talk to noel brennen if ya want to know anything about karting he is a former european champion

#9 ·
ok, thanks jp, what about the junior rods? would mean he is getting good practise in a car but then it isnt anything like rallying :laugh::cool::eek::yes::(:idea::caution::roll:;):dunno:

#15 ·
if he's looking to drive then autograss or karts would be best job.

if doesn't mind navigating then get him into the navigation road rallies, brilliant practice and teachings for the future.

If it was good enough for Beef RIP then it's a good enough start for the rest of us.

It'll be deadly fast and mighty craic. get him used to reading in the car and all sorts of practice with maps and instructions.

#16 ·
Have to say now I bought a banger for £100 when I was 12 and wrecked about my Grandads farm which had about a mile of lane, I learnt eveything on it, Oversteer, understeer, left foot braking, how to go through fences backwards, you know what best thing I ever done.

#17 ·
thankyou all for the tips :D he can drive and crash no problem but need to get him started in competition business :caution::eek::laugh::):cool::kiss::yes::p:(:roll:;)

#18 ·
your son might be interested in this

VENUE Rainey Endowed School Magherafelt, Sat 4th Mar 1pm-5pm

Organised by Magherafelt & District Motor Club

OBJECTIVE
There are two objectives for the day

1 To educate the youth in the community that there is a difference in speed on the roads and organised motorsport

2 Encourage all those interested to become involved in their local club so therefore on the day allowing them to see what opportunities there are ie do not have to have a rally car as any one interested will be able to get involved.

On day there will be the following
Local road safety committee
Local traffic branch
Barry Oneill Omagh College promoting NVQ in marshalling
MMP
Timekeeping
Navigators and drivers available to chat to
Rally videos
Rally cars on display
Guest Eugene Donnelly
Information on navigation school and co-drivers course due to be run shortly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.