Rally Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Formerly Hbx
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mitsubishi join rally withdrawals

Former champions Mitsubishi have become the latest team to pull out of the World Rally Championship.
Mitsubishi, who may return to the competition in 2008, are the fourth team to quit the 2006 season after Citroen, Peugeot and Skoda.

World rallying now has only two factory teams left for 2006, although Skoda and Citroen will support private teams.

Mitsubishi claimed four straight drivers' titles in the late 1990s and won the manufacturers' title in 1998.

This year they finished fifth in the standings with 76 points.

Despite the withdrawal, Mitsubishi will continue to compete in the Dakar Rally.

Mitsubishi have had financial concerns in recent years and have criticised world governing body, the FIA, in response to doubts over the future shape of the championship.

"Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has made a solid start toward revitalising its business operations," said a company statement.

"However, to strengthen and build upon this base, MMC realizes that it must focus management resources on the continued promotion of the revitalisation plan.

"Mitsubishi Motors hopes to return to the WRC Championship series from 2008, after the completion of the revitalisation plan, which covers fiscal 2005 to 2007."

This was on BBC news! Holy shit!

·
Registered
619 Posts
so there are only 4 works drivers next year?

2 at subaru and 2 at ford. the FIA need to do something.

If it continues at this rate, there is no point in Irleand trying to get a WRC round as there will be no WRC!

Thank goodness I live in ireland - we have our own WRC, and by the looks of it will be the only place to see world rally cars competing.

·
Motorsport.ie
910 Posts
why..... there will be no point to the WRC at this rate. Althought i love subaru it would be something special if loeb won in the "private" citroen. Even though we all know that citroen will make sure he wins.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Looks like we better make the most of it when we have it. WRC is falling apart, BRC is for 1600 and GP N.

It has happened before-remember when the only works teams were Ford and Lancia on the WRC in 1987-first year of group A then they all came aboard. When WRC cars get banned-which they will as they are faster than the Group B cars of the eighties-we will see a championship made of Super 2000 cars-No Turbo, No Gizmos, just 4WD retained, one day rounds of the WRC-then we will look back and say AH. In 20 years time at the Killarney historics it will be an S10 or a Focus winning-that is what is going to happen folks.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It is a sad thing to see the state of the WRC at the moment. The FIA have fcuked up big time and would want to get their act together, but I think it is too late for that. Over the last few years there have been too many silly rules introduced that make absolutely no sense and have driven the manufacturers and the real rally fans away. Cars that virtually drive themselves have made the spectacle disappear but they are better than no cars, which is basically what we will be getting next year. I would never have thought a few years ago that I would have so little interest in the WRC today. Id rather book a trip to Letterkenny in june than Karlstadd or Cardiff. There i would see some real rallying.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is a great opening for other manufacturers to join in, it would be great to see Toyota come back into the WRC in the future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by rubywax
Looks like we better make the most of it when we have it. WRC is falling apart, BRC is for 1600 and GP N.
Aw. It looks like we still have the best championship in the world right here on our doorstep!! How that will disappoint some people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts