Rally Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gary Knight
1,087 Posts
Not belittling the tragedy that happened at Rally GB as I'm sure it was a horrible time for Markko and extremely hard for him to deal with but I think he is retiring because he couldn't get a drive. He was interviewed on ITV during their wrc coverage and said he was talking to teams and couldn't wait to get back.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by GKnight]

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aye you could be right man but i reckon it still wouldnt be easy to go back after what happened even if he did get a drive!

·
Gary Knight
1,087 Posts
No doubt about it. Nobody would want to go through what he went through and it would have been doubtful whether he would ever have been the same driver again. He has probably made the correct decision.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Pity really, i was a big fan of his while he was at Ford. Would have loved to have seen him make a comeback, but more than likely after GB, I would imagine that it's scrubbed off some of the edge he had prior. These things put everything else into perspective.

Best of luck to him with his new venture.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I reckon the tragedy of what happened will be carried by Markko for ever-its part of the human condition to blame ourselves even when we have done nothing wrong and I guess what happened was one of those life changing events. Its all well and good going down the road at 120MPH+ and god knows we would all love to be doing it but I wonder how many times would it cross your mind that if we were doing it that we might think-Jaysus-this is really crazy. Look at Pettas accident in Germany in 2004 and Colin in Corsica in 2002, Harrison’s crash in Galway last year-near dead possibilities. Markko is married with children and I guess after the accident his priorities changed.

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by rubywax]

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
I was in Finland this year and the amount of Estonians there to support Martin was crazy. Some of the atmosphere provided by these loud and passionate supporters will be missed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts