Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the new year stages today I came across some of the worst idiot marshalls I think ive ever seen. I found a spot near a slow chicane and after standing well back in a very safe spot ( not far from were two marshalls pulled up and sat in their warm car )for almost half an hour waiting on the start, one of them jumps out of his warm car and "tells" me or should i say demands that i cant stand there and have to move. I told him I wasnt in a forbidden area and that I deemed it very safe. He then threw a strop, telling me he was a marshall and hed have me removed. Again, i didnt back down and told him in no certain terms, to try his luck in removing me. Which he didnt seem to fancy all of a sudden.
I then asked him would it be safer to stand beside his car which was parked on a run off area (for his best possible view of the action of course.) He then told me the car had to be parked there for medical response reasons????
Bullshlt he was told!!!
Anyway, I stayed and he skulked off, only for the other marshall to wonder off with his camera to take pics, while letting kids stand in some unbelievable places. Is marshalls taking photography allowed??
During the stage, on two occasions cars lost bits of their motors, to which he just sat back and watched other cars drive over and eventually a spectator went onto the track and moved them.
In between a stage another marshall almost crashed twice acting an idiot on the stage, while people were moving vantage points.
These kinda people marshalling are a joke. Ive been following rallying for over 20 years and these tubes watch a few rpms, drive their pimped 1.2 corsas, decide to become a marshall and then think that gives them the right to talk down to people. People do deserve to be told if they are in a dangerous place etc and it is hard to get marshalls, but the UAC were scrapeing the bottom of the barrel today.
I aint tarnishing all with the same brush, as I was talking to a few other 'older' and wiser and very nice marshalls there today who get on with joe public etc and do the job right.
Another thing before I end this rant..............feckin £10 entrance.................absolute joke in my opinion...:mad:

[Edited on 22-1-2006 by jake]

·
High Octane Sniffer
2,460 Posts
Im sure we have al had the same experience I also agree with you when you say that when a person/s put on a yellow/orange bib there head swells bit like some police men !!
I think the reason some of these people become marshalls is because they think they can get closer to the action I think a rule should be inforced that a marshall should be in the same place as spectators are restricted to!

Also I dont think marshall should have to choise weather to cancel a stage!!

Cant wait ill this marshall training comes into action till wee get some decent marshalls who know what they are doing and are at 1 with the public!

Ross:mad:

·
Registered
424 Posts
A marshall can pull the pin on a stage if he thinks it unsafe!!!

Also at marshall training your told that you should stand with the spectators to stop any conflict.

·
Simon Michael
440 Posts
correct 007 Marshalls are in contact to the powers to be the only people who can stop a stage once live is the stage commander, COC, etc,etc. But have to say 99% of Marshalls are spot on and do there job to the best of there ability. Hitlers or not with out them there is no rallying!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by rossgamble1987

I think a rule should be inforced that a marshall should be in the same place as spectators are restricted to!

Ross:mad:
Very good point.

Tis a thankless job thou and most of them dont get half the credit they deserve

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by GTI180
jake, what was the organisers response to all this??:dunno::dunno::dunno:
I didnt bring it up with the organisers. I went down for a days enjoyment to watch the action, not get caught up in a row. In my eyes, on two different sections that I stood at during the day, a blind eye was turned to the way it was being marshalled at those points. I understand the arguements that without the 'hitlers' there would be no rallying, but so could that case be if there was an incident due to the way it is marshalled. Watching youngsters stand in dangerous areas and not say anything isnt on, nor is the rest of the things i witnessed above. One marshall nearly rolling his car while out fixing a bail between stages is a joke.
I will be sending UAC an email stating what i witnessed.
Again, dont get me wrong about marshalls, as later on in the day I was talking to a few at another section, who did their job very very well, and were not pig ignorant to anyone, even when they had to ask people to move to a safer area.
An idiot abusivly tellying people to move, im afraid isnt the way to earn peoples respect for what marshalls provide for our enjoyment.
Thats my first time at the new year stages, im normally there for the euro cables each year and havent seen anything like that nonsense before at that event.
Another point, Eurocables is I think normally £5 in is it not?
Why was this rally the ridiculous price of £10. Bit of a dear day out for a family car load for what wasnt a great line up at the end of the day.:mad:

[Edited on 23-1-2006 by jake]

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds like you got home not a happy bunny, but i do know where you are coming from and marshals IMHO should be made to stand with spectators

on the COI last year me mates where standing in a field when a car rolled into the hedge in front of them and themarshalls said it was safe to stand there but the good thing is the marshall told them to keep back and then stoo with them yarning for ages which i thought was very good !

·
Registered
247 Posts
Originally posted by jake
Originally posted by GTI180
jake, what was the organisers response to all this??:dunno::dunno::dunno:
I didnt bring it up with the organisers. I went down for a days enjoyment to watch the action, not get caught up in a row. In my eyes, on two different sections that I stood at during the day, a blind eye was turned to the way it was being marshalled at those points. I understand the arguements that without the 'hitlers' there would be no rallying, but so could that case be if there was an incident due to the way it is marshalled. Watching youngsters stand in dangerous areas and not say anything isnt on, nor is the rest of the things i witnessed above. One marshall nearly rolling his car while out fixing a bail between stages is a joke.
I will be sending UAC an email stating what i witnessed.
Again, dont get me wrong about marshalls, as later on in the day I was talking to a few at another section, who did their job very very well, and were not pig ignorant to anyone, even when they had to ask people to move to a safer area.
An idiot abusivly tellying people to move, im afraid isnt the way to earn peoples respect for what marshalls provide for our enjoyment.
Thats my first time at the new year stages, im normally there for the euro cables each year and havent seen anything like that nonsense before at that event.
Another point, Eurocables is I think normally £5 in is it not?
Why was this rally the ridiculous price of £10. Bit of a dear day out for a family car load for what wasnt a great line up at the end of the day.:mad:

[Edited on 23-1-2006 by jake]

500 MRCI set the entrance fee so don't blame NAMCC if EUROCABLES is the same,nothing to do with the club.Thanks for ur positive comments on our marshals at EUROCABLES

·
Leigh Cavanagh
811 Posts
Yes its true you can meet the odd rhubarb marshall but at the end of the day they dont get anything for it.....only sometimes grief.
Remember when involved with rallying,no matter where you stand it is dangerous.
Expect the unexpected!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was down on Satutday and thought it was a great wee rally, well run. It's unfortunate that a couple of arseh*les have ruined a good event.

However I do think that the COC would have been glad to have been told about what was happening, there's nothing worse than putting the effort into something you think was a success, just to find out later that something like this has overshadowed a good days rallying!!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the day. I dont get to as many events as id like to anymore and kirkistown is always nice and handy with it all in the one place:cool:
I probably should have said something in hindsight, but I was down taking my wee cousin to his very first rally, and I couldnt be bothered with it ruining our day looking for people and all that. The only thing I can say is that enough official cars went through the stages and even talked to the guy with the camera round his neck, so, what would have been the point I wonder.
Anyways, I look forward to the eurocables.:laugh:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well done to the UAC if that's the case rallyman. Was talking to someone on Saturday, who was telling me that it takes about 8 hours on the Friday to set the tyres, bales, cones etc out. Then they come back the next day, and still have the energy to run a good event, and pack it all away again.

I take my hat off to you guys!!!:):)

·
Registered
121 Posts
DAM RIGHT GTI the amount of effort that is put into setting a few tyres out (550) or there abouts and all the rest of the stuff is dirty work but someone has to do it:laugh: HAVE NOT BEEN ON IN A WHILE BUT IT SEEMS TO BE THE SAME OLD SH*TE ABOUT MARSHAL`S ALTHOUGH SOME CONCERNS MAYBE WARRANTED BY SPECSBUT IF YOU FEEL THAT STRONGLY COME AND MARSHAL:idea:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts