RallyForums.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Tragic news about Bastuck and so sad for his team and family. Am I right in thinking it was Barry Clark that was involved? So sad for all involved.
Certainly brings things into perspective, especially after Rally GB and The Dakar.

Noel

·
Formerly gee
3,066 Posts
from what i hear barry clarke hit him when he went off the road at the same point. Terrible news indeed and thoughts are with all involved and the families!

from www.bbc.co.uk

Co-driver dies in rally accident
German co-driver Jorg Bastuck has died after being struck by another car during the Rally of Catalunya in Spain.
He was hit while changing a wheel after his Citroen C2, driven by compatriot Aaron Burkart, had left the road.

He was flown to hospital by helicopter in a serious condition but later died from his injuries, organisers said.

Bastuck was hit by a Ford Fiesta driven by Britain's Barry Clark and Scott Martin which left the road at the same place during Friday's second stage.

Burkhart and Bastuck, 36, were competing in the Junior World Rally Championship.

[Edited on 24-3-2006 by gee]

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
PUTS A LOT OF THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE, SCOTT MARTIN HAD A BIG HIT WITH MATT WILSON LAST YEAR AND NOW FACED WITH THIS AS WELL. WE COMPETE FOR FUN BUT NEVER REALLY THINK IT COULD HAPPEN TO US BUT IT CAN AND DOES. GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS FAMILY AND MAYBE WHATEVER RELIGION WE ARE WE COULD SAY A PRAYER FOR THEM TODAY CAUSE ITS ONLY A SPORT

·
Formerly madrallysport
278 Posts
All our thoughts go to this guys family, freinds and his team, we also have to spare a thought for Barry clarke, how do you deal with some thing like this.

I heard Kevin Barret came on the accident, he gave assistance, he has yet to decide wether he will continue tomorrow or not.

[Edited on 24-3-2006 by madrallysport]

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
So so sad. Got a text message last night informing me of this and prayed that my source had got it wrong.
Freak accident. Thoughts and prayers with Jorg Bastuck's friends and family, and of course his driver and Barry Clarke and Scott Martin.........

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
terrible tragedy.

Rest in Peace- shows that this sport can have a dark side and the free show for us fans can have consequences.

Thoughts with his family.

What Fidgys says- he is right.

I will pour a sip on the concrete for Bastuck

·
Registered
487 Posts
absolutely terrible news .. thoughts and prayers are with the families at this time.

Another dark day for motorsport.

RIP

Jonny

·
Registered
195 Posts
When the news broke about Jorg Bastuck death, did they make the right decision by continuing the rally after what had happened at rally GB last year?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think they handled the situation very well at the finish. Although I believe the emergency services took more than enough time to get to the scene on the day...

Celebrations at the finish ramp were called off. A lovely minutes silence that was broadcast live in the service area with some footage of him competing. Also all cars just drove over the ramp.

I've spoken to Barry a few times by text over the past few days and he is obviously distraught.

[Edited on 28-3-2006 by CiaraC]

·
Recce Ranger
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by CiaraC
I think they handled the situation very well at the finish. Although I believe the emergency services took more than enough time to get to the scene on the day...

[Edited on 28-3-2006 by CiaraC]
In contrast to the appalling way the tv highlights carried on as normal at the end when its should have simply faded to black:mad:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I spoke to Barry at length last night and I find it harder to fathom why the competing cars behind did not come to assist immediately when they arrived at the scene.

Plus, the first ambulance did not arrive for 20 minutes and the helipcopter took 50 minutes. In that situation, 50 minutes must seem like a life time.

He is confident that he did everything he possibly could in a very difficult situation. It was such a tragic accident.

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
ANY IDEA ON RESPONSE TIMES ON IRISH EVENTS WHERE ASSISTANCE WAS REQUIRED, WE HAD A FEW TRAGEDIES OVER THE YEARS UNFORTUNATELY

1 - 20 of 24 Posts