Rally Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This scholarship appears to be a bit of a farce. The scholarship brief said that any experience was welcome and all had a chance to win. This would appear not to be true. The winner an past competitor in 205 Challenge with local press contacts which got him PR (something that the newcomer to the sport could not have.) in local papers and radio. He also brought sponsors along to the scholarship team to throw money into the project, Tell me how can ANYONE when this scholarship when you can buy your ride as such???? Also I have been very reliably inform an IRISH competitor in this scholarship would not win as Innovation can not get the PR from them as the main stream English don't want to hear about the Irish drivers KICKIN their ASS

So tell me how can anyone win this when they have to have:
- Their own PR contacts
- Sponsors to help fund the project
- From main land England?

It would appear Natural driving ability doesn’t, even though success brings its own PR, it just matters just what can you bring to them.

Something I thought you should all know before signing up to next years scholarship

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to strongly point out I have NOT forgotten how well I was treated and honestly I was really WELL treated and looked after. I enjoyed my time there, just since I've come back i was told there is a lot of politics as such, that I and most other didn't know about which I have all said before, Which did come from respected people high up in the sport in Ireland and U.K. and as you can imagine hearing this has me very down heart about the scholarship and the english media and press.

As to this statement
"You were a very good driver Simon, one of the best. However turning up over half an hour late on each of your days was never going to help you too much was it? I had express I was late for the first the day and if my memory serves me correct I was a FULL day early for the final"

I would also like to point out that chris and his team are complete dedicated rally people and are 100% guys and girl. There Rally school is at one of the best venues I've ever seen. Its not them as people I disagree with its just some of the aspects of the scholarship and the way it ran.

To prove there is no sour grapes as people put, it I said to the guys before I left, "if they were ever coming over to do an event in Ireland to give me a shout and I'll do whatever I can for them to help!"I am a man of my word and hope they feel they can accept this offer. As Chris said I am heavily involved in Irish Motorsport and hope that the team is successful and progresses through the ranks and we get another U.K or Irish WR champion in future.

I hope you haven't seen this as a personal dig and apologise if it came across that way. It is your fianances and your choices about who is in the team. I know yous all have a lot riding on it. I did enjoy my time with yous I have expressed my points and you have expressed yours hope we can put it all behind us.

In a way this has helped me as one says "when one door closes another opens" Problem is does anyone know how to rise 60k???

Good Luck

TSM Motorsport

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by TSM Motorsport]

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fair enough I expressed my points and you have answered them and I am now happy to leave it with yous. I always said I have no back doors and will say what I think, it is a sign of honesty (appartently). As I said before anything I can do please say as I had nothing directly against the the team but the scholarship, but now that has all been sorted, I hope we can move forward and maybe help each other in future.

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chris I can't honestly say these guys are for helping me with another project and would be shooting myself in the foot. As you can imagine I am needing all the help I can get to move my rallying career forward, bull shitters and all.

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good Luck to you jon thought it was you who was going for the second car as was talking darragh earlier on. you going for 1400 challenge or super cup??

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good man, well good luck to you, I'm trying to budget & sponsors together to run a car in another championship, have to get this Glens of Antrim rally past me first

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'll put it like this its a two year plan but will need nearly 90k for it 30k for car and 30k for each year. you know any good sponsors?? I'm going to need it!! sent u2u of which championship

· Simon Michael
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah alot of money needed think I personally have about a £5 of it. It'll take alot of time and effort but my coach/manager says at my age its only championship worth doing if I want to go anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.