RallyForums.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Formerly yotommo
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you a co-driver or driver have you ever participated in an illegal recce?

·
Registered
133 Posts
No, do things right or dont bother doing it at all, after going over the stages 3 times doing recee i'm normally fairly fed up and if the driver concentrates on making/ adjusting the notes right he can drive as hard as he/she wants to. If u are going to cheat like that you may as well run a group A car in group N, because whatever way u you look at it, its still cheating in my book..

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Yes i have but couldnt be bothered now cause i had no luck out of it and i get bored after 14 runs over a stage anyway

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
One pass to make your notes, one pass to check them.

I've not codriven in over 4 years but if I got back into it and my driver suggested an illegal recce I'd tell him to find another co-driver.

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
we all have done it back in the day it was the norm i remember the first rally i co drove in we spent the whole sunday b4 driving the stage and as fidgy said had no luck for it the gear linkage fell off after a mile and had to drive 9 miles in first gear :headache:

·
Andy Heekin
743 Posts
no never done it as all it does is piss the locals of and makes it harder to stages in these areas. along with it being totally unfair

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Originally posted by fatboymotorsport[/ had to drive 9 miles in first gear :headache:
Somethings havent changrd so:whistle::wacko::surrender:

·
Simon Michael
440 Posts
All the big names say 2 times is enough McRae, Burns (RIP), etc and these guys are driving twice as hard as anyone else one to make then second to check them, a third is nice but not needed

·
Registered
866 Posts
never have done as never drove competitively :moo: would you say illegal recce or having a chase car is worse??????????????? :cheers::moo::cheers:

:moo: :moo: :moo:

·
Registered
133 Posts
illegal recce becasue it causes alot more headaches for the residents as more and more seem to be joining the band wagon by doing illegal recce. When doing PR after a rally stage has run, one the most common complaints is the extra volume of traffic leading up to a rally wkend.

·
Ray Fitzpatrick
1,705 Posts
you tend to find that local crews on local events fly after "burning" the stages , the problem with this is they cant get the same confidence in other events and often run slower. if you can consistently do 2/3 runs on the sat and be 100% confident with the notes from the start, you will have consistency of pace regardles of where you are competing, 1st loop confidence in notes is where the times are vital

my 10c worth:yes:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Its a fact that the locals (if they finish) will normally go well on their home patch but its the lads that travel half the length of the country to get a look at the stages is behond me, I sometimes find it hard to get time to do a rally let alone take extra days for illegal recce.

On another point, I've been doing national rallys and when in the hotel on the friday night, I've heard some of the competitors talking in detail about the stages (and they wouldnt be locals to the area)

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Stages repeated year after year maybe,{maybe not} if clubs get to run stages troublefree in an area they tend to go back to that area again:whistle:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by CiaraC
WRC crews only get 2 runs over the stages in recce. It is all that is needed.
yeah but they are super cool professionals, all us paddies are only amateurs!

Nothing wrong with 24 runs over a stage (or 26 26 26!!!!!!!!!!)

AS LONG AS YOU DRIVE SENSIBLE AND DONT BE HASSLING LOCALS!!!

IF YOU DRIVE CIVIL ITS ONLY A PUBLIC ROAD WHAT HARM??/

discuss...........................................

ie is there a difference between an """"illegal"""" recce where you drive a public road as a law abiding tax payer in a fully legal nct'd car but just happen to have notes on yer knee and then driving down the road like a muppet scaring the postman and Mrs Smith with her dog????

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Valid points mr hooligan, is it the extra traffic or the speed that mrs smith wets herself over? why does your insurance not cover you for pacenote making if you are only doing 30mph average cause you d probably drive the same road at 40+ of an ordinary day no probs:flush:

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
Originally posted by almc
Shouldn't that be pace making not pace note making which is a different thing altogether.
Sorry for sounding stupid but whats the difference? I thought that they were the same thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts