RallyForums.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has the be the reaon he is so quick is that he removes the drivers headlight and grill surely must add 100bhp to his tin can :wacko:
either that or half his budget goes into buying new ones caz the old ones fall out some one should introduce him to

and

there is nothing these little beauties cant fix on a rally car no service van should be without

[Edited on 25-4-2006 by fatboymotorsport]

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
On the castle single stage video he said it was to get air into the engine but i dont know how anything got hot that freezing day

·
Registered
99 Posts
would it not be easier to just arrange a bit of ducting from the bumper, paul gallagher started this headlight thing a few years back in the donegal int. Seems to me more like a fashion thing!!:focus:

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
DOESNT DO ANY HARM ON THE WEIGHING SCALES EITHER:wacko:

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
Question, if the headlight is removed, doesn't that mean that the car doesn't comply with the road traffic acts and as such, can not take part in the rally?

The regs for every event state that the event is run to MI rules, and the green book says that the car must comply with the road traffic act.

I assume that the light is removed after scrutiny, as I'd say that the car wouldn't pass scrutiny if the light was missing when the car was presented for scurtiny.

[Edited on 26-4-2006 by Ian]

·
Fergus McAnallen
1,485 Posts
Alright Ian rules are rules yes but if that was applied strictly to every car on every closed road special stage rally in the country, you wouldnt even have HALF the finishers there are. What about all the mk2's that have rear indicators wiped otu when they hit a pillar, bank or wall. What about stones that have hit the windscreen of a competing car or a car having rolled mid stage but able to continue. What about cars that have hit a bank head on but able to continue, and their headlights smashed. What about a car that hits a kerb or bank at the rear end of the car when a rim may be buckled, smashed or the suspension de-arranged. What about cars that have oil or petrol leaking from their car on road sections due to bumpy off-camber stages or a huge jump having ripped some part of a sump or pipe.

Even though you aren't saying it directly, you may have opened a can of worms by assuming that if ALL of these and many many more similar instances were to be accounted for, that it would be a positive thing for rallying or that thigns would be done well if done strictly by this rule .

One thing for sure, I doubt very much if any club would have the man power to check every car coming on and off every stage of every rally. Would be too time consuming as well.

[Edited on 26-4-2006 by rallyretro]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by fatboymotorsport
has the be the reaon he is so quick is that he removes the drivers headlight and grill surely must add 100bhp to his tin can :wacko:
either that or half his budget goes into buying new ones caz the old ones fall out some one should introduce him to

and

there is nothing these little beauties cant fix on a rally car no service van should be without

[Edited on 25-4-2006 by fatboymotorsport]

is that what holds your rallycars together;);););)

·
Registered
154 Posts
why does'nt everybody else try taking the headlights out + c if they can beat him- i'd doubt it very much- give the man credit where it is due. he went down 2 mayo + kerry + was top 2wd. then in monaghan last weekend he was still the top man until the engine gave trouble. the fact of the matter is- nobody can touch him. i cant wait 2 c him in the donegal up against paul + damien. i fthey all finish it will b some battle....

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Alcorns secret is he is a quick tidy driver and will put it up to any other 1600 driver around here. i have no doubt about giving him the credit he is due...:D:D

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
Originally posted by rallyretro
Alright Ian rules are rules yes but if that was applied strictly to every car on every closed road special stage rally in the country, you wouldnt even have HALF the finishers there are. What about all the mk2's that have rear indicators wiped otu when they hit a pillar, bank or wall. What about stones that have hit the windscreen of a competing car or a car having rolled mid stage but able to continue. What about cars that have hit a bank head on but able to continue, and their headlights smashed. What about a car that hits a kerb or bank at the rear end of the car when a rim may be buckled, smashed or the suspension de-arranged. What about cars that have oil or petrol leaking from their car on road sections due to bumpy off-camber stages or a huge jump having ripped some part of a sump or pipe.

Even though you aren't saying it directly, you may have opened a can of worms by assuming that if ALL of these and many many more similar instances were to be accounted for, that it would be a positive thing for rallying or that thigns would be done well if done strictly by this rule .

One thing for sure, I doubt very much if any club would have the man power to check every car coming on and off every stage of every rally. Would be too time consuming as well.

[Edited on 26-4-2006 by rallyretro]
Fair point, but I'd have no problem if cars were pulled for missing lights etc as the cars left service. I understand that damage may occur on the stages, but service is there to fix the m!

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
No problem giving him credit either, he has earned the plaudits and when people say on a stage{we ll go after alcorn passes} you know you re goin well and i m a moffet fan

·
Formerly gee
3,066 Posts
it is actually truely amazing how much difference this makes in power as have witnessed it myself as it is pure forced air going into the filter of filters in case of TB's

and a missing headlamp is not illegal on the road as long as there are no pretruding objects and your not driving it at night ;) all you need is indicators and brake lights to work !

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah its not illegal at all and seriously increases power with the extra air!! Looks hairy too when u see it coming down a stage at u!! Alcorn is the man!

·
Registered
734 Posts
He is a clean driver, as JP said, obviously very brave on the quick stuff, he is tidy, no doubt a good engine, and he does not even have the big brakes.
Having no lights is maybe more of a disadvantage, as in some places his seeding requires full heads, to try get past the guys in front.
a talented driver.

·
Formerly anihel
1,883 Posts
Had heard a lot about him and decided to see for myself if the hype was true....saw him in Mayo and Monaghan and the man is seriously talented behind the wheel, look forward to seeing a lot more of him this year!!

·
Formerly spin doc
463 Posts
He can also say he is a good navi he sat with Paul Gallagher in the last night nav and won Semi-exp.

Not a bad combination there.

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
THINK THEY ARE RELATED, THROUGH MARRAIGE SO SPARES WOULDNT BE A PROBLEM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts