Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
T531 BKV
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... spectators walking onto a stage with bottles, cans of alcohol. Does this annoy anyone else???

I like to drink but there is a time and a place for everything and a special stage isnt the place for it.

These people are usually full of shyt and always try and stand in the stupidist places to spectate. And if you ever overhear the krap they come out with....well lets just say they aint got a clue what they are on about.

When i see these tw-ats i think "is this what non-rally fans think we are like??"

Okay maybe they are just having a bit of a laugh - but it doesnt take away from the fact that it really pissses me off.

Opinions please

[Edited on 16-4-06 by patrickis]

[Edited on 16-4-06 by patrickis]

·
Stephen Doherty
983 Posts
Here here..Nothing more annoying than a gang of loud mouth drunks at a corner abusing marshals.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Totally agree also!! There is a time and a place for a few drinks and its in the bar at the end of the rallying

·
T531 BKV
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah - i dont want to sound lile a kill joy - drinking is a perfectly fine past time ;) - and we can all have great craic but again its just sickening to see...

Thanks for the responses guys....glad the rallying fraternity isnt as bad as i was suspecting :D :D :D

·
Colin O'Keeffe
700 Posts
agree also.. drinking, although its not illegal on a rally stage, its not a good idea esp. if your coming onto the stage half drunk. its putting yourself in danger (and others) as you might not be able to co-ordinate yourself if, god forbid, some car came off the road in a direction of spectators, your reactions times are slower. also people who start abusing marshals is totaly redicilous and it is indeed bullying and abusing, actaully if caught they could be brought to court for assault. it is after all grievous bodily harm.

·
Gary Knight
1,087 Posts
Agree also. There were a load of loud mouth drunks at one of the stages I was at yesterday roaring and shouting. No need for it. Also noticed a few young fellas staggering about in service yesterday evening. All it would take is to stagger out at the wrong time and you have a major incident on your hands.

·
T531 BKV
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think these people have any thought for what could happen, same way like on a saturday night they are stoving someones head in because they looked at them.

There the kinda guys that start fights over nothing - yobs are probably the best names for them and they usually hang around in groups because dont forget "safety in numbers".

I just dont understand why they feel the need to be drinking on a stage?

Funny story - 2 or 3 years ago at the COI - stage up at Fardross outside Clogher - i was @ a junction with about 250 other people. The obligatory group of tanked up eejits came stumbling on to the stage with can of Harp and several bottles.

One loud mouth (you know the type - the one who shouts and has to be heard at every available turn) was slobbering away to his mate who was getting over the barbed wire.

He then was getting up to step over it and low and behold down he went like a sack of potatoes beer and all. Funniest thing was he tried to save the beer rather than himself - total toolbag!!!

The place errupted with laughter - not a funnier site has been witnessed on a stage since!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I AM NOT SAYING THATS IT A GOOD IDEA TO DRINK AT A RALLY
:drink:

BUT WATCHED THE RALLY TODAY NOT MUCH ACTION AT ALL THINK THE DAYS OF THE CIRCUIT R OVER THEY SHOULD PULL THE PLUG ON THIS RALLY.

As for the drinking it might have made the drivers look to be goin harder than they wher:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

·
Registered
369 Posts
On the last stage today at the hairpin near the end there was a group of people drinking beside me, that does not bother me (because one of them was the farmer who owned the land I was standing on), but they kept singing that song bind me together, that’s funny the first time but after the 50th time it starts to piss u off.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
West Cork Rally 2005 a group came out of a bar near the stage and starting making a general nuisance of themselves and gave the marshals there a right hard time being the hard nuts they thought they were.
The sector marshal,a very experienced man who has run rallies and nav trials etc himself, reckoned he couldn't trust them not to do something stupid when the stage went live so contacted the C.O.C. and recommended cancelling the stage.
The C.O.C. ,knowing the calibre of the marshal involved agreed and immediately cancelled the stage.
They were'nt such hard nuts then and hopefully learned a lesson for the future.
Sad thing is they spoiled it for eveyone else all along that stage.

[Edited on 16-4-2006 by pat4wd]

[Edited on 16-4-2006 by pat4wd]

·
Registered
619 Posts
can1 - I was at that corner too today, and I was actually quite glad they were there to provide some entertainment - for the circuit guys turned what should have been a really good hairpin into what looked like my ma going into sainsbury for her groceries.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yep I agree totally there is no place for drink on the stages...there is no need at all!!!

·
Formerly RS1800
2,979 Posts
Originally posted by can1
On the last stage today at the hairpin near the end there was a group of people drinking beside me, that does not bother me (because one of them was the farmer who owned the land I was standing on), but they kept singing that song bind me together, that’s funny the first time but after the 50th time it starts to piss u off.
Were they the guys from Scotland with the bottle of Dranbuie?? They annoyed the hell outta me. Gang of 6 lads at the junction too, all of them tanked and all of them with a new six pack with them to keep themselves topped up. I think they were all travelling on a minibus, saw it parked down the road with a driver in it waitin for them to come back. Also Galway last year, 1st stage about 10a.m or whatever, 3 lads beside me drank down 2 bottles of Blossom Hill :wine:. At 10 in the mornin like?! It's just not a nice thing to see on the stages. It's not safe and it's not clever

·
Formerly anihel
1,883 Posts
I will never understand this bringing a slab of beer or a six pack to a rally, a pub or a beer garden is the place for this not a f**king rally stage:whip:

·
Registered
223 Posts
the thing is they aren't true rally fans one of them prob is, the person driving and the rest just went for the craic prob the weekend and night life. iv never been to a rally where there wasn't trouble with spectators just people been totally stupid and not moving when told by marshals. The worst is the people who are perfectly sober and dont care bout the possibility of a stage cancelation.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Time to introduce random breath testing of rally spectators as well as the speed checks and the window tint testing. If they are drinking on the stages the chances are they are drinking in the car and chances are over the drink drive limit-which is lower than down South.

·
Formerly RS200
739 Posts
ill have to agree on the above about these drunken loudmouths.............

but ill have to admit usually donegal, newry and jimmy clark are all really really good weather rallies, theres nothing better than sitting on the side of a mountain having 1 or 2 beers. i kno il be there sitting in the sun (hopefully) enjoying the rally, not to get full drunk and shout and make an asss of meself. i drink responsibly. im afraid of missing something exciting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by Kenny Wilson
can1 - I was at that corner too today, and I was actually quite glad they were there to provide some entertainment - for the circuit guys turned what should have been a really good hairpin into what looked like my ma going into sainsbury for her groceries.

heard about this but NO gareth was fuked at some boring corner with feck all action :whip:

[Edited on 18-4-2006 by Gareth!]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Ctdprep
if your coming onto the stage half drunk. its putting yourself in danger (and others) as you might not be able to co-ordinate yourself if, god forbid, some car came off the road in a direction of spectators, your reactions times are slower.
thats why i just drink a can or two..:yahoo: theres nothing like having a beer while watching the rally..;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts