RallyForums.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Georgie Burgess
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard today from a friend of mine that the management of the Gleneagles were looking for payment off the photographers for selling their pictures in the hotel.
Can any photographer who was there confirm or deny this allegation.

Snakeoil

·
Registered
734 Posts
I believe that this is correct.
As a photographer I dont see why the trade guys outside should have to pay and the laptop photographers not pay.
The amount they were charging though was unrealistic.
Also if you want greedy, how about €15 in the door on saturday, no wonder it was half empty.

·
Registered
734 Posts
i hear €450 per night.
in fairness their is not a chance of making that in a month of rallys never mind 1 night

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Gleneagle Hotel Rally Of The Lakes is the most miserated event on the Irish Motorsport calendar. They treat their marshals like shite, the food this year in Darby O'Gills was the worst its ever been, and its been bad! We left ours and went to a restaurant and paid for some decent food. All this while the officials of the event were treating themselves to a slap up meal at the Hotel, and then back to their rooms in the hotel while we were piled in six to a room in a Hostel in the back of no where. The Club is so miserated, the radios which are used to run the event gave untold trouble yet again this year, and rumour has it that one stage ran despite having no radio contact at all. Where were the Motorsport Ireland Officials then?? Probably back at the Gleneagle tucking into their sherry trifle. Every year I come back from that Rally swearing never to lift a finger for them again, but this is it. Never again. When you marshal on the West Cork Rally, your put up in a 5*house, your fed in the Rally HQ alongside the organisers, your not charged 15 quid to get into the prizegiving and your not treated like some sort of idiot by the COC. The Dingle Skellig Hotel Circuit Of Kerry Rally could teach them a few tricks. Without fail, the marshals get the very best of top notch grub and spot on accomodation in the town. How different can two Rallies be. If any of ye have any sence, go to the Skellig for a weekend, its worth the journey. The Gleneagle however, now thats a different story all together. And for Gods sake, don't any of ye eat in Darby O'Gills, not if you value your intestine.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mary
Darby O Gills, add Molly Darcys and the Holiday Inn to your list.
I am off the opinion that the only restaurants to eat in Killarney are the Chinesse or the randles court.
Killarney is a tourist town, and everyone seems to get treated badly, they mdont seem to appreciate that Rally Business is repeat business, as are marshals, who travel length and breath of the country but not to get treated as you have described.
Shame on KDMC.

·
Daniel Ryan
1,193 Posts
we wer told by gleneagle staff 2 set up our own tv nd show footage was 450 for the weekend...on the sunday night we offered 150euro for charity but the manageress told us we would still have to pay 200euro to the hotel.... extremely disappointed... we thouht we wer bein nice by asking their permission on the fri eve... and surely 200 euro to a charity is better than 200euro n2 a already rich hotels pocket

disapointed nd maddened

Daniel Ryan

·
Registered
83 Posts
The club should look @ the whole thing... Did any marshals look at de date on the crap sandwich was thrown from the flyin' chuck wagon. "Freshways Returns" i guess.

Also How many Course Cars do you need? I lost count @ 16

And what's this about R2 doiiing [email protected] de gap?

And how can Tom Walsh (Chair of the TROA) judge independently at the event?

KDMC ..... as some one earlier said cop yourself on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Formerly tarmac timo
1,663 Posts
Was down there a while ago and they wanted €10 for a cup of tae n a slice of toast!!!:mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would strongly advise any of you who were not happy with your accomodation or food at the Rally of the Lakes to contact your motor club secretary and get them to write a letter to the rally of the lakes committee voicing your disapointment.
i can't speak, cause i wasn't marshalling. But if i was at any rally with fellow motor club members running a stage for the club i would let my secretary know why i wouldn't be helping out next year.
I know it's great to get it off our chests here on the forum but the next step is to contact the offending club through your own club and let them know you're not happy.
The Lakes committe might not be aware the food was not satisfactory and might appreciate the tip off!

Hopefully thing will improve for next year.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Killarney 06

I know that the subject of Killarney is covered in other areas on the forum but I may as well start here as anywhere.

Killarney this year was a complete F L O P

We flew in on the Friday and had booked into the Gleneagle to discover no lights in our room and a smell of p***. No amount of pleading or complaining could move the staff to sort it out till close to midnight.

On heading to scrutiny where already the atmosphere was poor we were greeted by a Marshall who was shall we say "stern"

I need to be careful here cos in NO WAY do I wish to appear to disrespect Marshalls as they do a great job and most of them are helpful and VERY GOOD company while waiting for cars to arrive.

By 8pm on the Friday night there were already a few of the "boys" with the Jap Spec Street cars cruising and showing off.

Saturday dawned ok and we discovered that Molls Gap was closed to spectators untill around 6am to prevent "rhubarb****s" heading up thru the night and drinking themselves into oblivion.

We got 5 stages in on Saturday and met some Top Class people all day and had a ball.

Back to hotel to find smell was awful in room and still no electricity. Apologies from the hotel and " we will sort etc etc"

Discovered that the reason for NO ATMOSPHERE in the hotel was that they wanted to charge €450 to the guys with the photos and video clips to the guys who bring a bit of fun into the hotel.

Sunday and off to Molls Gap again to wait in a queue and get to the top and be insulted by the drinkers at the side of the road who had somehow managed to get into the Gap during the night on Saturday.... maybe they were still pi**ed form Saturday morning --- who knows, to find it hard to park and worse still Gardia booking people at the Gap for no tax etc etc. Great PR there.....

Got fed up by 2pm and headed back to the hotel, checked out and came home on Sunday night.

My point is this.......

Genuine Rallyfans are being treated like pineapple in Killarney. The Jap boys bring money (of a sort) into the area and therefore are wanted there by the Rally and Shopkeepers to spend either at the Fuel pump or the Off licence. Forget being told the PR machine about we want to get it sorted.......Rubbish......... Dickh***ds spend money the same as drivers, fans and thats the name of the game here..... MONEY......!!!

The gangs that then roam round looking for trouble dont help and this fuels the problem because for the first 30 mins of the aggro the Gardai cant be found.

The Gleneagle charging €10-00 to get into the hotel on Sunday Evening is the biggest p*ss take I have ever seen and they should be ashamed of themselves for being sponsers of the Rally and then milking the pockets of the fans that go there.

The two Gardai who caused the BIGGEST and SLOWEST traffic jam I have ever seen by allowing everyone to queue out the road past the Gleneagle from 3-6pm to turn all the traffic round and create another traffic jam heading into town now..... Not PR here .... Brains would help.

Killarney WAS the Rally of the year last year by a country mile, but the Gleneagle needs a lesson in humility and the Gardai need a lesson in common sense.

WONT BE BACK..........

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
The Glaneagles hotel is always like that. Last year, my parents went to a show in the Gleneagles. They travelled in a camper and had booked into a campsite on the other side of Killarney. During the whole show, they were paged by the management "Would the owner of vehicle ****** please contact the reception". At reception, the management insisted that they leave as they were going to stay the night in the hotel carpark. When Da refused to move until the show was over, The management called the Garda, wanting to remove my parents from the permises and grounds.

Da asked the garda for advice, as they were being told to remove their vehicle from the premises. But Da had 1 or 2 pints, so he asked the garda what to do, as moving the camper would involve them breaking the law (drink driving). The Gleneagles management said that the camper could stay parked in the carpark if my parents booked into the hotel for the night! The garda were not impressed, told the management of the Gleneagles to cop on, and after the show, Ma drove the camper to the campsite!

·
Ben McCaul
124 Posts
The Gleneagles has been like this since the rally moved to the May Bank Holiday. Before that they were so glad to see rally fans in December that they actually treated them like people! I think the change of date was a bad move and I would love to see the rally run in December again.

And btw, Tom Walsh is not the chairman of TROA - Bobby Clinton is!

·
Registered
734 Posts
The GlenEagle is a disgrace. Killarney is a disgrace rally weekend. The Errigal in Donegal is so different, they still recognise they are a quality hotel.
Gleneagle is just about ripping off.
I have for years sayed in the Randles COurt, fantiastic hotel and people, this year staed in the Holiday Inn, fine hotel, but food, forget it.
As for the A**Hole brigade, what do you do, the Garda, have enough to contend with, as every weekend in Killarney is a pain, never mind rally weekend.
Thank God we have good evnts, like Donegal, Ulster, Cork and this year the Circuit.
Killarney town lets the lakes down.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This is nothing new.Two or three years ago I did flying finish on Kilmakillogue and then on to Lough Allua to set up there.
Our meeting time was 7.00am on Saturday morning so we were told to go straight to Tousist(end of Kilmakillogue,start of Healy pass)on Friday night where we were booked into a B&B amile or two into the pass.
At 1.30 a.m. the door of our room opened and the owner announced that more people had come looking for accomodation and she proceeded to put two matresses on the floor so two more people(strangers) could stay in the place,I kid you not!!
Anyway did Kilmakilogue, over the Tim Healy and on to Lough Allua.Finished two runs through there and then rang the number I was given for the place I was staying in Killarney.The person there told me that nobody had confirmed the accomodation so there was nowhere to stay.
To make a short story painful after umpteen phone calls and a threat to take the beams and timing unit home with me I was told to come to the Gleneagle to get sorted.
Drove to the Gleneagle and..you guessed it...."You're not getting in unless you pay €12.00."
Told them I was timing crew for the rally and had no pass because I had not come to Killarney on the Friday night.Still no entry without money.
More phone calls and I was told to go to Darby O Gills.Went there,bad food, eventually got accomodation at 10.00pm in a holiday home in Aghadoe."Nice" I thought to myself.....until about 6 or seven more people were sent out to stay as well.
Did flying finish for two more stages on Sunday,went to buy a polo short for my son on Sunday evening to be told they were only available INSIDE the Gleneagle and AGAIN they were looking for €12.00 to get in.The polo shirts were advertised on the web site for €25 but they were being sold for €30.
Couldn't get in unless I paid,refused to pay as I was working for the rally so I went home.Haven't lifted a finger for them since.
Was servicing there this year and that's a story for another day.One phrase sums it up......"RIP OFF"

·
martin mckeown
1,121 Posts
2 mates paid 10 euros into the prizgiving to be walked on could not hear the speeches because of a bad sound system left at 2am and they were still takin money at the door :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts