Rally Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Alan Dalton
2,819 Posts
Yes, and you have to order it in advance. Not a happy bunny about it either.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What would you do if you had a Diesel car?

Throw a lock of tractor Diesel in her and hold it flat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does the national section have to use the rig ?

What happens if you have a major fuel sponsor that is not Shell ?

Or if your car does not run on the stuff. It may do more harm than good to a engine not set up for it ?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
my car will run on normal road petrol but its not as good as when its mixed with the carless101, shell racing fuel is too expensive a clubman can barely afford to enter a international rally with out being made run on special fuel, it seemes like a bit of a bollox to me, i know the risk with gerry cans is high but at least its affordable compared to the price of shell racing fuel. i can see the clubs point from a safety point of view. how ever i dont agree with competitors having no choice only to run on the shell fuel, last year in galway we could use our own fuel but it was in a separate area for refueling only, what was wrong with that system that worked well last year

·
Alan Dalton
2,819 Posts
All Competitors have to use the Fuel rigs, from a safety point of view it is spot on, from a competitors point of view it is wrong, its created a single supplier situation which is never good for any customer. plus the poor guys who have fuel sponsorship are buggered. I am intrigued to see what happens, I can see cars been legally refueled by there service vans at petrol stations on route.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a competitor I'm dead against the idea of a single fuel supplier. A monoploy in any walk of life is bad news. I want a choice of fuel, both from a cost and performance point of view. I understand that clubs are mindfull of health & safety but surely refueling service areas built into the timing of the event would be sufficient.

There are members on this forum that will be able to answer this but I was under the impression that the fuel in Rally Ireland worked out a lot more per litre than if you had just bought it in the tubs and put it in yourself.

I have a good working relationship with my fuel supplier "76 Sunoco" and this has been built up over 3 years, now clubs are going to ask me to throw that away and force me to use something else !!.

If you have a control fuel for a championship that is different (although I would be against that also) but at least you know what your signing up to, but at the moment some clubs are forcing you to use a fuel while others are not. Where do the Championship organisers stand.

I'm not doing Galway but I feel strongly about Rallying being made more expensive for the competitor, when maybe there are other options.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Originally posted by jp ruth
last year in galway we could use our own fuel but it was in a separate area for refueling only, what was wrong with that system that worked well last year
Whats wrong with that system indeed?

If its done in a controlled area with Fire Marshalls on hand is it not Health and Safety efficient?

and another good point raised there.............whats to stop you fuelling from a pump station on rally route?

Dont tell me a petrol station there for the last 20 years is illegal chase????????

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm not doing Galway but I feel strongly about Rallying being made more expensive for the competitor, when maybe there are other options. [/quote]

i am doing galway but i have a budget worked out for the event as for the year but it doesnt included shell petrol where does that leave the competitor that isnt made of money:dunno: its the grearest load of bollox ever the clubs should be trying to reduce the cost of the sport but instead they are forcing the competitor to use a more expensive fuel which is driving the price of it up more. it was the same shite for rally ireland last year. its is this sort of rules and regulations that will drive rallying into the ground, if its not expensive enough as it is :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I wonder what would happen a competitor that didnt use the fuel, but his/her own pump fuel?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by Tropsrotom
whats to stop you fuelling from a pump station on rally route?

Dont tell me a petrol station there for the last 20 years is illegal chase????????
That is a very valid point, but if your going to do this are you going to have enough time allowed. With a tight schedule and a cue at the pumps you could either run out of petrol or incur late penealties.

Maybe a nominated service station could be used with the race fuel rig also being present.
:dunno:

The fuel area that was used in galway last year was not a good idea. I was marshalling it and with the best efforts where the organisers had postioned you still got some idiot spectators smoking right beside the area. We even had one co-driver flick a butt out his window in the middle of area.

Having someone smoking beside one or two jerry cans a Bang Bang is bad enough but my view would be that putting 100's of gallons of the stuff in the one area is just asking for trouble unless you are very strict about access to it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
i just spoke the manager of donegal oil on the phone is seemed fairly sound and the price of the shell 97 octane petrol is much the same as the price you would pay at any service station around the country, it maybe 10-15cent more because they will be handling the fuel but all in all its probably not as bad as it seems

·
formerly alwayssideways
717 Posts
Refuelling:
Dear Competitor,
The organisers of the 2006 First Choice Flooring Ltd. Galway International Rally will provide designated
Refuelling Zones on the forthcoming event.
A risk assessment of a Service Area would reveal it to be the last place that fuel should be put into competitor
cars. Time is short, several things are happening at once, the general public have easy access and spillage
can occur. There are a number of vehicles in close proximity and from a manual handling point of view there
are risks. In addition, motor clubs tend to find a large number of empty fuel drums left on site at the end of
the service. These are difficult to dispose of properly.
Rally Ireland in 2005 had a monitoring visit by the Health and Safety Regulators who were satisfied with the
refuelling arrangements on that event.
Galway Motor Club has nominated Donegal Oil Company Limited to be the official fuel supplier for the 2006
First Choice Flooring Galway international Rally. The people who they have designed and operate this
equipment are the people who provide the WRC on event refuelling service. They attend all rounds of the
WRC and are effectively "motor-sport refuelling professionals".
The official fuel supplier will supply all grades of fuel required by all competitors.
It is not important what kind of filler cap the car has as they have attachments to deal with all eventualities.
For safety and environmental reasons competitors may only use fuel supplied by the official fuel supplier.
Competitors will not be permitted to use their own refuelling systems in the refuel zone. The official fuel
supplier will provide refuelling facilities incorporating: earthing facilities, canopies, spill catchers and fire
fighting equipment. The equipment includes a Moffatt Mounty (Fork Truck) for moving equipment around.
Competing cars may only be refuelled in the Refuelling Zones provided by the organisers.
I am pleased that the organisers can avail of this opportunity to considerably reduce the potential risk involved
in this area of the sport and look forward to your full cooperation.
John O'Connell, Clerk of the Course.
For further information and to reserve a supply of fuel please contact :
Arthur McMahon,
Donegal Oil Company Ltd.,
Letterkenny, Co Donegal.
Phone : (0)7491 21633 (office ) - 00353 in place of 0 for callers outside of ROI.
(0)87 202 7006 (mobile) - 00353 in place of 0 for callers outside of ROI.
e-mail : [email protected]
Addendum to the Regulations :
Article 30:
1. Competitors may only refuel in the refuel zones designated by the organisers in the road book except as
detailed in Article 2 below. The entry / exit shall be marked by a blue fuel can symbol.
2. When necessary as part of a service, (i.e. changing a fuel tank or pump ), emptying and/ or refilling is
permitted in the designated service area provided that:
(1) the work is carried out under the supervision of a marshal
(2) no other work is carried out on a car during the emptying and or refilling operation
(3) a suitable safety perimeter is established around the car
(4) only sufficient fuel is added to reach the next refuel zone.
3. Any action inside a refuelling zone not directly involved in the refuelling of the competing vehicle is
prohibited.
4. In a refuel zone, a 5kph speed limit will apply.
5. Engines must be switched off throughout the refuelling operation.
6. It is recommended that the crew remains outside the car during refuelling: however should they remain
inside, the safety belts must be unfastened.
7. A car may be pushed out of the zone by the crew, officials and / or by the two members without
incurring a penalty.
8. Failure to comply:barf: with the refuelling regulations will :barf:be reported to the organisers who may apply a
penalty up to and including exclusion.:barf::barf::barf:

This is from the galwayinternational website

·
Registered
170 Posts
It shud be like it was in galway last year, a designated fuel area but you can bring your own fuel to it, and have a few marshalls to keep spectators at a safe distance. As for competetors, they should have enuf cop-on to not smoke in the refueling area!!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
One question,and I am not being a smartass here, really.But where are the IRCA when all these decisions are being taken.
Does the IRCA not have representatives at Rallies committee meetings to raise these issues? (A genuine question,I am of the opinion that they do but maybe I'm wrong)
The competitors are the paymasters of Irish Rallying.Fair enough there are sponsors for rallies as well but you wouldn't run an event on what you'd get by way of sponsorship,and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way,sponsors are a vital part of the Irish Rallying success story as well.
But why is it always left to the club representatives to raise issues regarding running of events that concerns the competitors more than anyone else?
And when organisers have to implement new regulations laid down by MI sub-committees it's the club people who get the grief.
Maybe this refuelling addendum to the Galway regs IS the brainchild of the Galway C.O.C. but rather than bemoan the fact that it is being imposed on them, why don't the IRCA ,as a group,open talks with the C.O.C.
One compromise could be that people who want to use the rig and pre order the fuel can go ahead and do so,but if it suits another competitor to fill up at a petrol station then what's wrong with that.
Cars are being filled on petrol forecourts for years without blowing up.

One or two competitors on their own may not have much of a voice but what's the point of having a representative association if they are not going to raise the concerns of the people who fork out the entry fees and consequently aid the financial success of the event.
It's time for the competitors to speak with one voice on these issues,and I don't mean on a rally forum either.
If the IRCA ARE addressing this,and other matters, fair play and I am willing to be put right on it here.But if not,maybe they should be before it goes too far.

·
Super Moderator
829 Posts
You can always choose not to do the event ????

The next move could be one make tyres cause its safer to run only Kumho or maybe One type cars as its safer in a whatever ???? It will only stop when there is no demand..
Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is taken from page 22 of the regs:

"Competitors are advised to bring trolleys or similar for the carriage of fuel containers to the refueling area.
Fie resistant Overalls and Balaclavas are recommended for those entrusted with refueling duties."

To me this appears quite clear, we are carrying OUR own cans across service as we did last year. (and forgetting the funnel as we did last year and pissing it all over the place!)

unless of course, they just used last years regs, and forgot to the update the refueling section. Anyone from Galway MC on here to confirm?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts