RallyForums.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The question I'm really asking is that under Appendix 's' in the green book.

"Petrol" is a product of the kind sold as petrol to the general public, being mixtures of large numbers of substances produced in commercial refineries and sold through normal retail outlets.

Now every man and his dog has seen WRC and other crews pumping Carless, shell and Elf cans into there car. These fuel are FIA approved so I presume that is how they are used but is it "sold to the general public !!":dunno: .
Are you allowed to use these fuels in group n / modified ???:dunno:

I'm not trying to give stick to anyone using the fuel just establish weather it is legal to use or is it just a case of it's not really a rule ;);).
I do think it is good insurance on an expensive engine as the quality of the fuel can be guaranteed unlike forecourt products which are often not 98 or anything like it.

Just looking for some clarification ??

·
Alan Dalton
2,819 Posts
A lot of modified guys use these fuels, there are non turbo versions available as well as AV Gas which can be used and can be bought by the general public. Av Gas harder to get but not impossible. Most Manta 400's would use Av Gas, not cheap.

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
Originally posted by ROUNDY MOONEY
Is Shell 101, or similar other products From Elf, Carless, Sunoco a pump fuel ??
The products offer similar octane ratings (Both RON & MON), similar percantage franctional distillation characteristics, etc but the fuels would have different ingredients for copyright reasons.

If you want to compare the fuels, ask for the spec sheet for the fuels. This should give the octane numbers, distillation specs, aromatic content and then, the next job is to set up the engine to run on the fuel you pick. The engine has to have altered timing, ignition and the engine has to be able to handle the extra heat that these fuels produce.

My problem is that I know my chemistry, but I cant set up the engine for the new fuel

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
anyone can buy the fuel from shell carless sunco or elf so the would be available to the genral public the ruling does not state that it has to come out a pump and id say that could be arranged also if needed :cool:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ive hearda rumor that tesco will be producing their very own version!! This would link in with the sponsorship of the BRC!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts