Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHEN ARE THE COMPETITORS GOING TO LOBBY MOTORSPORT IRELAND TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS CRAZY SITUATION WHERE CARS ARE GETTING BURNED OUT OVER POOR ECO FRIENDLY EXTINGUISHERS:mad: FORUM MEMBER LOST 35 GRAND WORTH OF CAR AT THE WEEKEND IN WEST CORK{PAT SHANAHAN} I WOULD HATE TOO THINK OF ANYONE TRAPPED IN CARS DURING THESE FIRES

·
Simon Michael
440 Posts
it ain't motorsport ireland or msa, the non eco friendly extinguishers are banned in whole uk & ireland due to eu laws, makes you think but, which is more harmful to enviroment, there extingushers or a burning car

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is not a MSI rule but an FIA and after lobbying by IRCA, MSI do allow cars to carry an alternative ext. including BCF.

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MAKES YOU WONDER THEN WHY WE BOTHER WITH ECO BOTTLES SO. WHEN I STARTED IT WAS PROBAN SUITS+ANY HELMET NOW ITS FIREPROOF SOCKS,BOOTS,HELMETS,UNDERWEAR AND OVERALLS. NEW SEATS AND BELTS EVERY FEW YEARS. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SAFETY BUT ITS VERY EXPENSIVE ON COMPETITORS AND THEN YOU LOSE YOUR CAR OVER SOMETHING LIKE THIS

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think you can carry a BCF as long as you have the 2 AFFF hand helf extinguishers, they are not worth a shite though. Remember Anthony o Halloran in the forest a few years ago, every car stopped to help him, around 35 extinguishers in total failed to put it out. There was a statement released recently saying "the extinguisher is not designed to put out the fire" come on.....whats the story here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you can buy a little silver one now that puts fires out:idea::idea::idea::idea:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah this is something that interests me very much and i think needs something done about it.

Whats the sliver thing may i ask??

·
Registered
557 Posts
Not an ideal solution but maybe something to consider till the powers that be find a better extinguisher, is to fit two plumbed in extinguishers with the second one soaking only the engine bay. Sure it will weigh a little more an cost a few bob extra but if it all goes t*ts up you'd like to think you've done everything possible. Its never going to be an alternative to a proper extinguishant but I wouldn't like to hold my breath waiting for the FIA to come up with better fire fighting liquids.

·
PETER BOYD
1,839 Posts
Dont know what happened with Pats car at the weekend but I do know of a couple of cases here and in the UK where the cut out switches only turned off the engine but left the electrics working, therefore fuel continued to be pumped onto the burning electrics. Most modern rallycars need the ECU's powered permanently therefore the cut out switch isnt doing its job and the extinguishers cant deal with the fires.

On another note some guys are selling foam extinguishers and others are buying AFFF, there is a difference and the AFFF is more powerful than foam so check what your buying/being sold.

There was a new extinguishant tested about a few years ago but the drawback was cost, the equivalent of a 2.5kg Halon extinguisher was approx £1500.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My fire started behind our seats we had flames at our shoulders b4 we knew we were in trouble we stopped the car straight away put the 2 hand helds in & i may aswell have taken out my .... & taken a p1ss 4myself a spit would ave been more effective the propper old extinguisher they had at the end of the stage was all that saved the engine & at that they were roaring at me 2 leave it off, but its very hard 2 stand back & watch 2years work & 35k go up in smoke.......
I was the 2nd car on Anthony O Hallrohan car in car the year b4 last & its only now i know his pain 4 sure.

·
PETER BOYD
1,839 Posts
Out of interest, how many competitors know how to use an extinguisher....properly??

Would it be a good idea to get MSI to organise with the clubs to arrange some demos on the use of extinguishers, we all have them in work for Health and Safety, maybe its time they were brought into Motorsport.

BTW I'm not critisising people, its just a thought

·
Registered
601 Posts
Had my demo at work & know luckly thats how i managed 2 dampen the main fire wit the one good old extinguisher thats how i managed 2 salavage the engine bay until the rescue team came in

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
Originally posted by peespeed
Out of interest, how many competitors know how to use an extinguisher....properly??
it doesnt matter if the material you are spraying onto the fire wouldnt put out a match !!!!!!!

afff is s.h.i.t.e. everyone knows it its time something was done about it why are we paying up to €400 for a system that wont do its job.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to here about the car Patrick did that happen on the second stage on Sunday ?

Originally posted by CIT
I think you can carry a BCF as long as you have the 2 AFFF hand helf extinguishers, they are not worth a shite though. Remember Anthony o Halloran in the forest a few years ago, every car stopped to help him, around 35 extinguishers in total failed to put it out. There was a statement released recently saying "the extinguisher is not designed to put out the fire" come on.....whats the story here.
Remeber that line well and at the time there where cars that where being stoped from starting rallies because they had BCF on board.
Wonder if it will take someone to be traped in a car and burnt alive before something is done. Lets hope not.

It seems crazy to me anyway that some feel that it is more important that your equipment has a right number/date on it rather than is it safe or will it work ?

·
PETER BOYD
1,839 Posts
Originally posted by fatboymotorsport
Originally posted by peespeed
it doesnt matter if the material you are spraying onto the fire wouldnt put out a match !!!!!!!

afff is s.h.i.t.e. everyone knows it its time something was done about it why are we paying up to €400 for a system that wont do its job.
I've seen AFFF being used correctly and incorrectly, used the right way it will put out a fire, I have also seen guys fail to put out fires with BCF extinguishers because they didnt know how to use them.

·
we dnt need no edukayshun
2,242 Posts
I've seen AFFF being used correctly and incorrectly, used the right way it will put out a fire, I have also seen guys fail to put out fires with BCF extinguishers because they didnt know how to use them. [/quote]

If this is so then very few know how to use them, even in the WRC any recent fires that come to mind have ended in a total loss of the car, somehow I suspect cars are burning to 'save' the environment........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts