Rally Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entry lists and priority seem to be causing concern this year again.

Just to clarify, the criteria for priority for the Dunlop National Rally Championship is clearly laid out in Appendix P of the MI Yearbook 2006. http://www.motorsportireland.com/assets/52/95CF26E0-EFFA-A276-AD4DCE92D311E26A_document/AppP.pdf.

And if you need further clarification a phone call (087-6646002) or email ([email protected]) to the Registrar, Laura Fuery, will soon sort things out.

Clubs are no longer obliged to post regs to registered competitors. All competitors were given a schedule when they registered showing the dates on which regs must be available, when entries open, when entries close and what event/year the priority is based on, along with a contact name and number for the organising clubs. The onus lies with the competitor to ensure that they get the regs and get them in on time.

If a competitor who is entitled to priorty doesn't get it, and the entry was on time, fully completed and fully paid, then the Registrar will liaise with the club and make sure that that competitor gets a start. However, if the entry is late, unpaid, incomplete, etc, then don't even bother ringing Laura. We will NOT ask any club to accept a late entry. If they choose to do so, then that's their business and nothing to do with the Championship.

Joan Gallagher
Chairman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously, some people didn't read this post! Priority is only given to the top three in each class and the top five overall. Just registering for the Championship does NOT guarantee you an entry.

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
I THINK THE QUERY IS IF YOUR WILLING TO TRAVEL TO MAYO,KERRY, CARLOW FROM MEATH IN OUR CASE FOR THE EARLY ROUNDS AND THEN YOU CANT GET OUT ON OUR NEAREST RALLIES IE MONAGHAN,CAVAN AND THE NEXT ROUND IS SLIGO ANOTHER LONGHAUL FOR US.YOU CANT AFFORD A RETIREMENT ON ANY EVENT THROUGH MECHANICAL FAILURE BECAUSE YOUR GOING TO LOSE A FEW ENTRIES ANYWAY IN THE PRESENT SYSTEM

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think most people do understand what the priority situation is, (although there are some on here that think if you have a website and have issued press releases saying you are doing the championship that you have a God given right to get into every event.)

In effect the championship from year to year gives priority to those who finished top three in each class the previous year. This gives these people the chance to get into the championship and score points so you can have priority from round 4 onwards, when your class competitors might be struggling to get entries in the first three events.

Lets just look at the classes rather than the overall:

There are a few problems with this system at present.
1) Any new competitors are fighting an uphill battle to get their foot in the door.

2) Any well supported class (like N4 or A6) will have competition stifled by the fact that many will not even get the chance to compete due to entry issues.

3) Any competitor who wants to promote their rallying in order to get sponsors (press releases, websites etc) has no hope of doing so because they cannot guarantee that they will get entry into the National Chamspionship events.

4) There are only 50 priority places per event - too little given the number of competing cars. I know that one of the points the National comittee highlight at CAC meetings is the number of registered competitors in the National Championship. It is a bit pointless trying to strive for a higher number when only a limited number of them will get a run on each event. Wouldn't it be better to strive for trying to get more consistent entries for a realistic number of registered competitors?

5) Some events that count as National rounds only run 131 cars - surely in order to maximise the quality of the field it should be a requirement for a club to run 151 if they want National Championship status.

6) Some clubs that have National status run parallel championships e.g. Mk2 challenge, 205 Championship, Ka's etc. These championships all have their places but the way the current system is set up these championships all compete with each other to the detrement of each other.

7) There are too many classes - it's crazy in this day to still have a separate class for 8 valve vs 16 valve 1600cc & 2 litre classes.

8) A lot of people just sign up for the National because it is free to do so and it might improve their chances of getting entries into other events.

A few years ago the IRCA put forward a proposal where there would be a pre-registration for the championship at the start of the year. Up to a max of 151 entrants. The rallies throughout the year would then be split where championship entrants (up to 151) would receive priority on National Championship events and they would have lower priority for non National Championship events.
On the non-National championship events, non-registered competitors (for the National) would have the higher priority.
The proposal would have been to have 8 rounds in the championship & 8 rounds that were non-National Champ.

I think that this would have been a fairer system for everyone but it was not taken on board at the time.

The question I would like to ask Joan, is if the National Championship comittee think that the current system is working?
Do you agree that any of the issues above are real issues and that they are areas that the championship comittee would think warrant some attention?
Are there any other improvements planned for the championship in the future.

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
Originally posted by gn3dr

7) There are too many classes - it's crazy in this day to still have a separate class for 8 valve vs 16 valve 1600cc & 2 litre classes.
i agree with everything you say except the above.
8v and 16v classes make it possible for a clubman with a fairly orignal car to compete in his class its time class 9 was split as well.

there is allways the problem with entries on national event more so around the border there should be more rallies and the fee for registering for the national should be €100 to weed out the lads who only do 2 rallies

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
THAT IS ONE HELL OF A POST AND IF IT DESNT STRIKE A CHORD WITH THE POWERS THAT BE, I WILL EAT MY HAT. WELL SPOKEN GP N 3DR WHOEVER YOU ARE

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
Very well put together and extremly well thought out post!!

Only thing I disagree with is as Trevor said above, the 1600 class!!
Impossible for someone in say a 1600 8 valve Corsa to compete against the likes of Alcorn!!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

6) Some clubs that have National status run parallel championships e.g. Mk2 challenge, 205 Championship, Ka's etc. These championships all have their places but the way the current system is set up these championships all compete with each other to the detrement of each other.
This is something that i discussed at length recently with somebody after the Mk2 Challenge in Carlow.
The perception of running a 'fun' event within a round of a highly popular championship.
Yes the challenge is a great idea, but perhaps would work better if it was run seperately from the main event or on a different weekend entirely? After all the spectacle of a proper Mk2 Rally (with nothing else) would be fantastic.

The same applies to other championships, but this makes it a balancing act that I wouldn't fancy having to iron out.

Personally i feel the National offers better entertainment for the bloke on the hedge, and is better presented(!) than the ITC. It has the layman's touch about it - quick clubmen who could turn several ITC 'stars' inside out if they had the cash, the hard chargers in 'standard' cars. Proper 'old fashioned' Irish rallying. It's about ensuring that the clubmen are looked after, rather than next Euromillions winner who buys a S12 with the interest, that is key to the championship continuing to gain interest.

[Edited on 22-5-2006 by teamgibbons]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
one thing i found about the national and it is stated above, that lads sign on because its free but have no interested in doing the full championship, they sign on at the 2nd or 3rd round and take points from someone else who is dedicated to a full programme and thats makes a feck of that round for them, i think they should charge a fee to sign on for the championship that you pay up front on your first round let it be round 1 or 2 or what ever round you decide to register, that will stop lads signing on and only doing one rally here and there and taking points from the lads who are doing the full championship.. not everyone will agree with me on this but this is just my opinion:drink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 2 cents worth: Make the championship Group N like the British championship and introduce controlled fuel and tyres......a little off topic I know......

·
Martin Costello
6,803 Posts
IS THERE ENOUGH INTEREST OR CARS TO RUN A CLUBMANS CHAMPIONSHIP FOR UNHOMOLOGATED CARS AND SMALLER GPN AND GPA,(NO N4 OR A8 CARS) WE SHOULD MAYBE HAVE A LOWER TIER CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE YOU STEP UP TO NATIONAL LEVEL SO BEGINNERS HAVE A BETTER CHANCE TO GET ENTRIES

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by fidgy
IS THERE ENOUGH INTEREST OR CARS TO RUN A CLUBMANS CHAMPIONSHIP FOR UNHOMOLOGATED CARS AND SMALLER GPN AND GPA,(NO N4 OR A8 CARS) WE SHOULD MAYBE HAVE A LOWER TIER CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE YOU STEP UP TO NATIONAL LEVEL SO BEGINNERS HAVE A BETTER CHANCE TO GET ENTRIES
Good idea. and then these events could host the extra c'ship, mk2, 205, ka, 1 make fun(Grp N beemer/scoobies) 8 rounds would also make it an even more attractive event. A rotation system every 2nd year would mean competitors would get to do each event then over a 2 year stint, then you can step up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just an idea I heard someone talking about that makes some sence to me.

Charge resonably high registration fee say four to five hundred euro for the championship if you start more than 3 events you get it back bar a hundred euro??

Not ideal I know but it would probably go some way to route out people just signing up to get entries.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

5) Some events that count as National rounds only run 131 cars - surely in order to maximise the quality of the field it should be a requirement for a club to run 151 if they want National Championship status.
Not the organising clubs fault.The clubs have enough to do trying to run the rally the Championship committee are there to look after the championship.

If a stage is being used 3 times the club are only allowed 131 entries.If they run the stage twice, 151.
Being "a requirement if they want national status" as you put it doesn't even enter the equation,the clubs are not ALLOWED run more than 131 in the above circumstances.
Do you honestly think a club would willingly turn away 20 entries and the extra revenue that would bring?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
i dont think its fair to have one championship clashing with another. how many guys just want to do the border alone or the west coast for that matter and cant get entries. what about the likes of almc and and north east which arent rounds of any championship. why cant these events be used

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am aware of the rules regarding how many cars run Pat - you missed my point.

Originally posted by pat4wd

Do you honestly think a club would willingly turn away 20 entries and the extra revenue that would bring?
Yes I do - all you have to do is look at the number of clubs that do it. How come some clubs are capable of adapting to the 2X4 format. Those that are capable of actually showing a bit of initiative, willingness to change and customer focus should be rewarded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts