Rally Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been living in Dublin for around 8 months but you soon learn the proper driving style down here. After about a week I fitted into this category well!

1. Indicators will give away your next move. A confident Irish driver avoids using them.

2. Under no circumstance should you maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, because somebody else will fill in the space, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the less chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork, especially with WW, MO or MH plates. With no insurance, the other operator probably has nothing to lose.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a vigorous, foot massage as the brake pedal violently pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to strengthen your leg muscles.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left. It's a good way to prepare other drivers entering the motorway.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a suggestion and are not enforceable in Ireland during rush hour.

8. Always brake and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tyre. This is seen as a sign of respect for the victim.

9. Learn to swerve abruptly without signalling. Ireland is the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to the Department of Public Works, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them alert!

10. It is tradition in Ireland to honk your horn at cars in front of you that do not move three milliseconds after the light turns green.

11. To avoid injury in the event of a collision or rollover, it is
important to exit your vehicle through the windscreen right away. Wearing your seat belt will only impede your hi-velocity escape from danger.

12. Remember that the goal of every Irish driver is to get ahead of the pack by whatever means necessary.

13. WARNING! Never come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will result in you being rear-ended.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think iv had to use the horn every single day i have been out driving! lanes on roundabouts isnt a well understood concept -if you lift off the gas your sure to get hit! :p:p

·
Simon Michael
440 Posts
see your doing it all who you should use the force!!!!

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
I think that you forgot to mention that at roundabouts, being in the correct lane is forbidden. The tradition is to be in the left lane at all times and move onto the roundabout whenever you feel like it. After all, the car on the roundabout will swerve out of the way.

·
Alan Dalton
2,819 Posts
Ian is right about the roundabouts you must drive in the left lane at all times even if you are going around twice. It is also compulsary of you are a member of the Gardai, if you come across a traffic jam, due to a minor RTA it is the law you put on your blue lights, find your way through the traffic to the point of blockage, pass the obstacles switch off lighs and proceed to the nearest Eddie Rockets for refreshments.
Always remember, at traffic lights, Green means go, amber means go quicker and Red means go fffffing quick

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, v good Clan! almost got wiped on way home from work there! Me in the proper lane old doll in wrong lane, without warning decides she has more need to be in inside lane than me! Mirrors are just for decoration, indicators are only optional extras and so she just pulls straight across! Its mighty craic!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
crowds,queues and other people mean noting to people in dublin, if you hold them up in anyway they loose their head and call ya "a bleedin culshie" as i found out on the naas rd a few weeks ago, when the car in front would not move and this prat behind me proceeded to blow the horn like it was my fault then drive up beside me nearly snapping the mirror off my jeep call me "a bleeding culshie" and drive off
:mad::mad:
there was an 88 starlet in front of me that wouldnt move, could be wrong but doesnt trops granny drive an 88 starlet:idea::idea::laugh::laugh::p

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, the traffic is deadly boy dunno why they call the m50 a motorway it should just be called a car park

·
Registered
58 Posts
Driving down the by-pass this morning, I looked over to my left and there was a woman in a brand new E-class doing 75 with her face up to her rear view mirror putting on make-up. I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that make-up.

As a man, I don't scare easily. But she scared me so much; I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the breakfast roll out of my other hand. In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my mobile phone away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned the ba11s off me, ruined the damn phone, soaked my trousers, and disconnected an important call.

Women should not be allowed to drive!

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
JohnnyC, I thjink that you are wrong about the mirrors being for decoration. They are for applying make-up, while indicators are there for christmas. You know, the flashing lights just fit in with the christmas spirit, etc.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is it true that the indicators on northern reg cars do not work when the come into the south. :barf::barf:

·
Formerly PJ RS1800
2,919 Posts
I drive up to Dundalk from Dublin quite frequently and I can never get over some of the Northern drivers on the road, they have top be nearly touching your tow hitch before they overtake, no matter what speed you're doing!!!!

They also have to be some of the worst parkers in the world!!!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by sideways
Is it true that the indicators on northern reg cars do not work when the come into the south. :barf::barf:
Like i said in my first post it doesnt take long for one to adjust to the driving style down here! :laugh::laugh:

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
Originally posted by jonnyc
Originally posted by sideways
Like i said in my first post it doesnt take long for one to adjust to the driving style down here! :laugh::laugh:
What, we have a driving style?????? I'd call it a free for all

·
matt mitchell
2,730 Posts
Originally posted by PJ_RS1800
I drive up to Dundalk from Dublin quite frequently and I can never get over some of the Northern drivers on the road, they have top be nearly touching your tow hitch before they overtake, no matter what speed you're doing!!!!

They also have to be some of the worst Parker's in the world!!!!!
that's what u call slip streaming to get an extra 4 mph p.j!!

oh ay and we are used to vechiles being abandoned not parked up here:laugh:

·
Trevor Dunne
3,799 Posts
speed limits mean nothing to the boys from the north down here the seems to think the m1 is a autobhan ive often been sitting at 85-90 and the zip past like im stopped usually in some heap of a car

when the bring in the cross border points the nordie boys will be sickened
and the standard of driving up north is way worse than down here.

·
Alan Dalton
2,819 Posts
Relax,fatboy it is a bit of craic, we are going to talk about driving in Italy next.

·
Ian O'Brien
430 Posts
Don't get me started on the driving in Italy. In the towns, it's a free for all. Town driving in Ireland is a bliss compared to Italy. I was in Florence recently, and there was no lane disipline, moped drivers had a death wish. It was crazy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts