Meeke & nagle dropped - Page 5
RallyForums.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,177 Posts

Default Re: Meeke & nagle dropped

Quote Originally Posted by fatboymotorsport View Post
    Just reading Patterson's rally news and is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling they don't like Kris Meeke that much, I've noticed there comments on him to be sharp in the past, but this one was really blunt and to dig at his "personal wealth" was a bit ott,
    Maybe it's just badly written, maybe there is some element of schadenfreude. Maybe something else emanating from past co-drivers....
    Maybe plain old passive aggressive journalism. Maybe just a reference to Meeke being skint most of his rallying life other than a few quid from rally schools and testing etc.
    So, plenty of maybes..........

I don't really read it much these days but historically Brian & Liz were always very supportive of him.
    Last edited by Noel157; 30-05-2018 at 17:19.
    Virgil said- "ok BRAINS - what part of my post do u not understand?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RallyForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

See a piece on Autosport about Hyundai & Toyota being interested in signing Meeke, whether its all speculation or if there's any credibility in it I dont know

Thanks

Interesting that Tommi was expressing interest already, before the citroen bombshell. between the 2 cars if they were to move for Kris. where should he go? My head would say hyundai, but heart would say Toyota. I suppose, as the article says, all going to depend who jumps into meekes old seat

5. Remove Advertisements
    RallyForums.com
    Advertisements

Formerly anihel
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 354 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Interesting that Tommi was expressing interest already, before the citroen bombshell. between the 2 cars if they were to move for Kris. where should he go? My head would say hyundai, but heart would say Toyota. I suppose, as the article says, all going to depend who jumps into meekes old seat
    either option would be great!

Formerly anihel
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 354 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noel157 View Post
    Maybe it's just badly written, maybe there is some element of schadenfreude. Maybe something else emanating from past co-drivers....
    Maybe plain old passive aggressive journalism. Maybe just a reference to Meeke being skint most of his rallying life other than a few quid from rally schools and testing etc.
    So, plenty of maybes..........

I don't really read it much these days but historically Brian & Liz were always very supportive of him.
    thats what I took from it, and you're right re Pattersons being supportive in the past

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Interesting that Tommi was expressing interest already, before the citroen bombshell. between the 2 cars if they were to move for Kris. where should he go? My head would say hyundai, but heart would say Toyota. I suppose, as the article says, all going to depend who jumps into meekes old seat

[QUOTE=Kevin O Driscoll;586930
    either option would be great!

Hyundai probably wont be full time, Not sure bout a seat at Toyota, part time or full, if you were Tommi who of the three would you let leave? JML probably, he has about as much luck as Meeke. Maybe Kris & Tommi are friendly through a connection with Colin Mc Rae...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O Driscoll View Post
    thats what I took from it, and you're right re Pattersons being supportive in the past
    I would imagine so. Using the term "personally wealthy" was hardly appropriate in the context, a bit of awkward prose. "Having a few quid about him" (to go to the other extreme) might have been more friendly, if a little colloquial.
    I suppose if this is the worst we/he has to worry about, it'll be ok.

Hyundai........

Thanks

yep, I took it the same, bit inappropriate though to bring his wealth into the story, but at the end of the day, as a sportsman in a very dangerous sport, its only deserving to be building your bank account, especially the route he had to take to get to a salary drive ! Toyota wise, people cant see Latvala leaving or being dropped from the team, but if you look at his results the last few years, its not great. Indeed, from 2015, Latvala has won 5 events across 48 rallies. 2 of those years was in the best car, VW Polo. Kris has also won 5 events in the same space of time but in 10 rallies less than latvala, due to Citroens limited program in 2016. I like Latvala, but he has been in a WRC car for such a long time now, is he still as motivated? who knows. But no matter what people and media say against Kris & Paul, the stats still prove he is deserving of a shot, wealth or not !

Thanks

Latvala is Finnish and has the right manager, so he's never been out of a drive, despite consistently crashing since he was in the BRC in 2003.....

If that sounds like sour grapes, so be it - however, it's 2018, it still matters in rallying were you're from.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Little View Post
    Latvala is Finnish and has the right manager, so he's never been out of a drive, despite consistently crashing since he was in the BRC in 2003.....

If that sounds like sour grapes, so be it - however, it's 2018, it still matters in rallying were you're from.
    The main difference in that Latvala's manager, Timo Jouhki, is from a very wealthy family (forestry and shipping if my memory serves me right) and has run a stock market and investment company from Switzerland for some years and is unlike any other manager. He works like this: sees a talent he feels can progress to WRC level, funds that driver through his companies, personal funds and connections and if they reach a salaried position with a team he takes a cut as a return on his investment.
    So for Latvala Jouhki funded him from early 2000s until he got his Ford contract in 06. Fair play to Latvala and his fellow Jouhki colleagues.

On the other side of things we all know how Meeke struggled since his McRae days. I remember a well known motorsport journalist told me something Meeke said just after the podium celebrations after he won the Ulster (think it was that rally). Normal practice was the nearest pub or hotel but Kris wasn't going. He did not have a penny on him and didn't want to celebrate without being able to buy a round. He went home.
    Last edited by Noel157; 01-06-2018 at 19:30.

13. Thanks from:

jake (01-06-2018)