Rally Forums banner

The future of Rallyforums

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  1117 
#1 ·
This place seems to be slowly bleeding to death. Ok, it'll hardly disappear but the level of activity and interaction is a fraction of what it was a few years ago. Is it just the way of the digital world or is rallying simply less popular (outside of Donegal time)? FB and other social media to blame?

Noel, hoping there'll be a reply or two.... : )

#3 ·
There are other forums I am on (ISDC etc.) and they seem to be going well but owners club are a different set up i suppose.
Every rally weekend with what Killian Duffy is doing now etc. everything is instant and live so hard to get a forum to work in that way. I thought the forum platform is more for discussions and chat before and after an event.
I don't think rallying is any less popular, yes it's competitor and fan base has shrunk a bit with economics, immigration etc.
It seems every bit of event information is now posted on clubs Facebook and twitter pages and that's where the discussions live now.
Not sure what can be done to change that.

#6 ·
There are other forums I am on (ISDC etc.) and they seem to be going well but owners club are a different set up i suppose.
Every rally weekend with what Killian Duffy is doing now etc. everything is instant and live so hard to get a forum to work in that way. I thought the forum platform is more for discussions and chat before and after an event.
I don't think rallying is any less popular, yes it's competitor and fan base has shrunk a bit with economics, immigration etc.
It seems every bit of event information is now posted on clubs Facebook and twitter pages and that's where the discussions live now.
Not sure what can be done to change that.
I remember Galway 07 well on here,and other events too. I have never found anything on facebook or anywhere else that had 'instant' done as well as what we had here, all powered by ordinary people with a shared love of the sport

#4 ·
I backed away from the forum, due to work more than anything. The level of discussion here was always good, better than it is on social media at present, or so it seems to me. Maybe people will return. For discussion, a forum is always going to be better. Late 2009 did a lot of harm to this forum though.

#7 ·
I've Rallyforums.com to thank for getting my career up & running! Agreed that it's quieter these days but most people that are on here seem to be genuine Rally people, be they Competitors or Fanatics unlike other forms of social networking where you have a percentage from the 'boy racer brigade'! One thing I've noticed is that the forums format is not very mobile-friendly so if that was improved, maybe the traffic to the forum may grow.

#8 ·
Sadly the dwindling usage of forums seems to be a widespread thing. I used to post on a number of UK Subaru forums (both local and National) and the vast majority of them have either disappeared or moved to Facebook.

I used to admin for one of those and, although the number of people signing up for the forum was always constant, the number of contributors fell to just a handful. When Facebook is so quick to access - and cost nothing for the to run - I guess many can't be bothered with signing into separate forums.

It's a damn shame really as, although a lot of people post on forums under usernames, I still find them far more personal than Facebook where everyone is using their real name!

#10 ·
So here we are 8 years later......it was the sense of gossip which made the Forum great. There's a month to go to Donegal and not even a rumour of Andrew Nesbitt doing it yet?
Now that the Pattersons have stopped the weekly Irish Notes there is very little information about in terms of drivers prep for events, sponsorship deals etc.
The grass roots good will is still there - the repair of Donal O'Briens car is a prime example.
The scale of the turnout for the 23rd in Athlone will tell a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.