Rally Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

M3 going up for auction???

52K views 378 replies 105 participants last post by  rallyretro 
#1 ·
See rallycarsforsale.net

Anyone know if this is true or has someone got their facts mixed up?

Would be a shame to see this car leave Ireland.

#92 ·
#93 ·
Re: [UNTRUE]Cronin M3 going up for auction???

The sport has been littered down the years with people buying what they thought were ex works cars only to find that this, that and the other had been changed and in fact they bought a pup. This guy has lowered the bar to a new depth and buy putting GXI 9427 on it he would be committing a criminal offence in some countries.
I don't believe anybody has an issue with him selling whatever the yoke is but i do have an issue with a so called reputable firm of auctioneers such as Coys giving this guy publicity and I am particularly surprised that whoever runs the Prodrive Facebook page gave him access. If by some chance this shell was the actual Corsica shell with a **** refit of dodgy parts the 24,000 would be a steal and it would have sold. A big thank you to those who attended the auction and kept us updated.

#97 ·

It could well be a Prodrive chassis, more than likely is but the main point is it's providence/history. Beguin's winning car or something else. The fact that the above ad shows Beguin and J-J Lenne on the finishing ramp is the issue.

The ad should read:

Possible Prodrive built M3 chassis fitted with 6 cylinder scrapyard donkey last seen running very well in a Lebanese taxi, lots of welding and filler but from a distance, say 300 metres, looks the part and if your're lucky some mug will pony up 50 big ones and think he'll be getting some rallying history.
Car is well known (in more ways than one) by many rallying fans so grab yourself a bargain. Would prefer payment prior to any inspection.

#98 ·

It could well be a Prodrive chassis, more than likely is but the main point is it's providence/history. Beguin's winning car or something else. The fact that the above ad shows Beguin and J-J Lenne on the finishing ramp is the issue.

The ad should read:

Possible Prodrive built M3 chassis fitted with 6 cylinder scrapyard donkey last seen running very well in a Lebanese taxi, lots of welding and filler but from a distance, say 300 metres, looks the part and if your're lucky some mug will pony up 50 big ones and think he'll be getting some rallying history.
Car is well known (in more ways than one) by many rallying fans so grab yourself a bargain. Would prefer payment prior to any inspection.
this made me laugh cheer Noel

#99 · (Edited)

Not for a minute am I questioning either car being an original or fake Prodrive product but do there appear to be some similarities from those pics because Prodrive built all shells the same ?

- That wiring thing in front of the gear stick is in exactly the same place and appears to be the same product.
- It looks like exactly the same type of navigator trip meter and going by the crease in the dash it looks like something used to sit in the corner (EDIT, in the 1987 pic the meter is under the dash not in the corner of it)
- The wires are going along the same route in each shell

#101 ·

The navigators footrest is real eye catching. Must have been fitted with a gearbox out of a Fordson Major at some stage to need the butchering on the tunnel behind the gearlever.

Wise man now prefers payment before inspection - must ask if he supplies a free blindfold as well.

#102 ·

so, we're all agreed its a fake
but just giving him the benefit of the doubt for a sec, maybe he actually does believe his car is the real GXI?
Is it possible his shell once had the Reg GXI at some point?
its possible to transfer regs in UK after all
he must have some belief in it if he's so persistant
I assume he has a tax book to match the chassis number?

Did anybody happen to take a pic of the chassis plate/number?

#105 ·

so, we're all agreed its a fake
but just giving him the benefit of the doubt for a sec, maybe he actually does believe his car is the real GXI?
Is it possible his shell once had the Reg GXI at some point?
its possible to transfer regs in UK after all
he must have some belief in it if he's so persistant
I assume he has a tax book to match the chassis number?

Did anybody happen to take a pic of the chassis plate/number?
Blind belief in the case of a genuine punter is one thing but someone who has written some kind of a book on M3's is something else especially when there is a history of his having written books on other rare/expensive cars and he then "happens" to find the rarest ones and a dispute arises with those who own the real thing. I would not have bothered with this if it was a misguided joe soap. This guy has form and is blacklisted amongst those in the know who pay huge sums for the real thing. I just thought it opportune to shine a light on the underbelly of our sport,what they get up to, the lengths they go to and the name of at least one of those who inhabit those murky depths. No better way than with a car with which we are all very familiar.
If it was the genuine shell it would be worth a multiple of what he was asking with or without the reg plates.

#104 ·

Link to the discussion on Forum Auto. From what I could make out through Google translate Cronin's car is Prodrive chassis no 004, and the one being sold by Coy's is chassis no 025.

http://www.forum-auto.com/sport-auto/photo-sport-auto/sujet378080.htm
yeah thats correct from this forum and the guy who was trying to sell the car at coys is posting on the forum and says 025 chassis is the Beguin car would like to know what prodrives view on this is

#106 ·

I believe it's a genuine prodrive shell, but its a reece shell ,I don't believe it's GXI. But at the end of the day, the guy can say what he wants as besides the forums no one else has challenged him and alls it would take is one very rich man to buy the car and legally make it GXI. After all how many legal STW201R's are there.

#119 ·

I just looked at the ad on www.rallycarsforsale.net......and i emailed him telling him that the car is a fake and that he would be committing a crime by attempting to sell it as the genuine car.......I suggest that everybody on this thread does the same....and f**k him.....i have seen cleaner hot rods

I had a go off him in a couple of emails too, great craic. He's a cheeky little camel herder :laugh:

#114 ·

Interesting that Coys do not have 2012 results available! I have heard from a forum member that was present, that the same vendor of 'GXI 9427' also had a BMW track car for sale!
Funnily enough, the same buyer who bought 'GXI 9427' also bought the track car at a price I believe to be in the range of £70,000. This sale did not go through either!!!!!
Funny that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.