Rally Forums banner

Why aren't marshalls looked after better?

8K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Barry Boyle 
#1 ·
I have noticed a few threads that keep recurring about the lack of marshalls turning up to 'police' stages on various rallies.
I been marshalling on and off for 25 years or so and it seems to me that Motor Clubs could be a bit more proactive in the way they look after their volunteers. Would it be so hard to keep a database of the lads who show up rally after rally and drop them a text before an event instead of posting looking for bodies at the last minute? Would it also not benefit the Motor Clubs if they took a little more effort with a thumbs-up or a cheers fella when the officials cars are going through. I know that I keep going out in Donegal because of Eamonn Magee and John Comisky rather than any great love for the Motor Club.

It wouldn't take much and I think there would soon be a decent list of relaible bodies that could be called upon to turn up event after event. Might make it a bit easier for Stage Commanders to work out how many people they will be short on the day.

#2 ·
Would it also not benefit the Motor Clubs if they took a little more effort with a thumbs-up or a cheers fella when the officials cars are going through.
couldn't agree more, nothing as annoying as an official car passing by
that doesn't even acknowledge you. No one's looking for a Blue Peter
Badge just a nod or a wave to make you feel your more than a scarecrow
in the ditch with bib on.....

#3 ·
I hear what you are saying and i agree with you on most of your points but officials are busy in their cars and are not there for a spin round to wave at the marshalls. I would have thought the same myself a number of years back until i started helping out with the organisation of rallies myself

#4 ·
I marshal alot and i must say im looked after by nearly everyone i marshalled for, sometimes get texts saying thanks afterwards etc, its nice and makes a long day worth while,

i also vouch for eamonn marshalled for him and will do again! but i can name many more who appreciate the help!

#5 ·
I agree with your point Barry 100%. In fact I brought up this point on a thread only to have my point shot down by a martyr asking me "what the hell was I talking about about how he had traveled the country with his lunchbox and flask, paying for his own petrol!!" WELL HAVEN'T WE ALL??? But my point, like yours is, wouldn't it be nice to have some recognition for it? I know there's the marshal day and I think Limerick Motor Club used to get a marshals night with a free keg of beer or so.
But for example if there was a Marshall Log where you get a club stamp for every event you do and some sort of reward scheme??? I don't know it's just a suggestion for some recognition for standing in a gap trying to keep people safe at freezing conditions on a mountain side in Killarney or the sweltering heat in Donegal?
Anyone else agree or what's your view?
A marshal get's involved because it's another way of saying I wish I could afford to compete but I can't so I do this!

#6 ·
Remember the MI Organised Marshal Training from a few years ago? We were all subjected to a few hours of how to marshal by MI and we all received numbered bibs and if you marshalled you were entered in a draw for a holiday to a WRC round.

The questions are why did this die out (probably due to apathy on the marshals part) and what happened to the database of people that did the training? Also, how many of the people that did that training would marshal now?

#13 · (Edited)
Apathy on the part of clubs & MI more likely than on marshals part imo. Every club from all branches of motorsport should facilitate at least 2 marshals training events per year I think plus there is sector marshals & fire marshals training available which is not done. I would also suggest that there should be a training course in the correct use of radios available.
I would also suggest that all courses should include some basic first aid training.
My local club is holding a sizeable event in the very near future and there is no mention of any type of training event, MI should insist on at least marshals training as part of granting a permit to run an event which all officials are obliged to attend.

#7 ·
ya we get looked after fairly well in limerick, part of the money for gettin your license stamped goes into a marshalls fund, then at the end of the year we have a night out with a few pints and dinner etc. we also give a small amount of money to the marshalls who drove to a certain amount of events ( over 7 or somethin like that) to offset the price of fuel, its like a tenner or 15 euros per event but its a nice reward at the end of the year comin up towards christmas. we're always tryin to give people incentives to marshal and help out clubs.

#8 ·
Ahhhh, this whole thing is going a bit pear shaped.
I am not on here looking for a big pay-off for marshalls. I was looking to see if it would be possible to come up with a database that stage commanders could use to find reliable people to man the junctions.

The other was simply a suggestion that a thumbs-up or a 'cheers fella' would go a long way to making sure that the maximum number of marshalls keep coming back to volunteer.

#9 ·
Teh MMP here in the noth is going pretty well as some sort of reward. Its not a cheque for 10 grand which to be honest would be all that would cheer me up after some days marshalling but its a concentrated effort. Rewards day is on saturday for any cardholders who marhalled on 3 events in 2010 and went to 1 training. It is a spinout around a track in a range of cars but it also encourages training and participation. Why not get one going in the south?

#10 ·
Just attended the MMP reward day today - great to see so many people there that I've got to know through marshalling.
A huge thanks to all the drivers and their crews who gave us all a great day out!
Had my son with me who is a cadet marshal too - he is busting to get out marshalling again soon after today.
The smiles on marshal's faces after a few very quick laps of Kirkistown proved to be great reward for all the hard work and commitment throughout the year - for many it was their first time in a competition car.

#14 ·
Hi guys, I agree. Just a small thankyou would probably mean a steady flow of marshalls. I marshalled back in the 80's & early 90's when the Circuit of Ireland was 5 days and actually covered a 'circuit of Ireland' and we all had to budget for 5 days fuel ( 1275GT Mini Clubman....), 5 days food, 5 days accomodation ( well it was cramped in a mini for two 6ft maniacs LOL!) and of course 5 days beer ........well, the Gardai didn't bother you back then! Ha! BUT when we returned home to the North the stage commander ( Nial Mcknight) organised a Bar-b-Que on the following Friday night as a thankyou to all his roadside scarecrows!!!!

WELL DESERVED!!! I can tell you....

#15 ·
Oi oi oi. where do I start. I suppose with , My attitude has changed since I started this thread, and I realised that if I wanted things to change, I had to make them change. Result is Maximum Attack Marshals Club and thankfully all is going forward fantastically well. Our core group membership (the lads who turn out every event) has doubled in the last year. We had a great fundraiser in Letterkenny in December which has us allowed us to buy some radios to keep marshals informed of whats happening throughout an event (now there's a novel idea).
We have come to realise that 1. Most drivers don't know what a marshal does. 2. Navigators are generally grateful for our help at the start line and when there's a problem. 3. Motor Clubs don't have the time nor the cash to look after Marshals properly. 4. There is support for marshals from the rallying family, they just haven't discovered the right way to express that support yet.
Are wedoing everything right, of course not. But here in the North West things are definitely looking a lot better than when I wrote the original post. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.