Rally Forums banner

Rally Ireland 2011

24K views 90 replies 48 participants last post by  co-driver 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Its unlikely. Might get a few more cars, but with S2000 cars costly £275+vat, then add the kit to make it a WRC, add turbo and aero package, aren't you almost back to square one on cost?

Add to that the freeing up of route mileage restrictions etc ( to copy IRC), won't events and cars cost as much or more.

For marketing reasons there is a switch to the 1.6l turbo engine and a step backwards to smaller cars, which can't be built as safe as current WR cars.

#19 ·
well i suppose if the weather dried up it would be alot better,not sligos fault i suppose haha,ah its the quaility of stages i taught were poor.they looked smoother than a normal irish stage and wider aswell,just my opinion,surely better stages up around there

#20 ·
well i suppose if the weather dried up it would be alot better,not sligos fault i suppose haha,ah its the quaility of stages i taught were poor.they looked smoother than a normal irish stage and wider aswell,just my opinion,surely better stages up around there
Ah where does the Backing for this Opinion come from.. Because if you attended RI 07 or 09 you'd realise some of the Narrowest roads in the Country were used... I hope you havent reached that opinion by the TV coverage!

#31 ·
"real drivers stuff" from FFM and "gud challenge for a driver" from prodriver
We dont have real drivers except those who were out yesterday on the (wide and smooth?) roads of Maugherow and Ballintrillick.
More like a challenge for the computer and electronic controls and sensors.
They could not use some of our Iron bridges because they were too narrow. Two bit (also in technology) drivers.

#43 ·
''shorter jurneys for the peple who really run rallyIreland''

Gordon Noble Omagh
Robert Lyttle Sligo
Joe Cocoran Sligo
Robert McDaid Derry
Paul Goodman Louth
Ivan Fuery Donegal
Dave Popham Dublin
Rosemary Walsh Galway
Tom Walsh Mayo
John Naylor Wicklow......

mmm...dont see any Killarney heads on that list....oh thats right....killarney didnt send a single body to help rally ireland (outside of a one or two that may have personally volenteered)...and now you want to run the rally down there !......killarney have demonstated for over 25 yrs that they dont do regulations....WRC...?.....give me a break.....

#49 ·
To be fair to Mick, he was probably talking about the sheer numbers from Skibb, Munster and Cork Motor Clubs that made the journey up to help on RI (can't speak for other clubs as this was the gathering for S1 & S4 at 2.30am in Glenfarne after travelling for hours in the p***ing rain, so I saw the room full of people myself). These guys (and those from other clubs of course) are the reason the rally was able to run. Because without them the rally couldn't run...

#48 ·
''support from the community'' i was down there two years ago for the lakes and any taxi i got into they were cursing the rally and many other bussiness you were in the had no fondness for a rally,they reckon the rally reeks havoc with the normal toursim trade and with roads closed and inconvenince it does more harm than good to there that every day trade,along with the boy racer element it brings and a costly clean up opperation after the event.now i cant see it been alot diffrent just because its rally ireland.
Another thing you forgot to mention is the traffic its a nightmare down there its a part of the country that isnt overly serviced with good roads

#50 ·
Everybody wants Rally Ireland to be a permanant part of the WRC
Who will promote it ?
it cant continue With Ronan Morgan one year John Naylor next
It needs a permanant promoter
I think 2007 and 2009 were excellant rallyies but they lost money and that needs to be adressed
Rally Ireland has to be funded properly
Should M.I put it out to tender?
Galway has shown What a well thaught out and funded organision could do With the Volvo stopover

#51 ·
was at the last 2 rally irelands (hotels btw are not allowed to charge more than the rack rate on the back of the door if they did they should be done by bord failte)
i was in galway for the volvo ocean race the hotels were charging their top rack rate for that weekend (300 euro that weekend the weekend either side the room rates were a 100 euro) i found a b&b near salthill that charged the standard rate.
the town was packed it took 2+ hours to get in and out of galway (we walked so didnt cause a problem) its a good job it was good weather as it could easily been a complete washout outdoor concerts were great but again it was june and the hottest weekend of the year a bit of rain would have killed the event and you wouldnt have seen a tenth of the vistior numbers
i've no idea about the organising commitees but cant see anywhere else in the country been any better try getting a room on a bank holiday in kilarney see how much you'll pay.
if they want to move it fine but i cant see the locals round dublin being as obliging as the ones on the route last year.
i guess we'll see what happens

sligo champion article
http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/rallys-gone-from-sligo-and-possibly-the-country-1987788.html

#52 ·
was at the last 2 rally irelands (hotels btw are not allowed to charge more than the rack rate on the back of the door if they did they should be done by bord failte)
i was in galway for the volvo ocean race the hotels were charging their top rack rate for that weekend (300 euro that weekend the weekend either side the room rates were a 100 euro) i found a b&b near salthill that charged the standard rate.
the town was packed it took 2+ hours to get in and out of galway (we walked so didnt cause a problem) its a good job it was good weather as it could easily been a complete washout outdoor concerts were great but again it was june and the hottest weekend of the year a bit of rain would have killed the event and you wouldnt have seen a tenth of the vistior numbers
i've no idea about the organising commitees but cant see anywhere else in the country been any better try getting a room on a bank holiday in kilarney see how much you'll pay.
if they want to move it fine but i cant see the locals round dublin being as obliging as the ones on the route last year.
i guess we'll see what happens

sligo champion article
http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/rallys-gone-from-sligo-and-possibly-the-country-1987788.html

Very Strange indeed, Hotels they were part of the friends of the Volvo ocean race and signed a charter and charged no where near full whack, bear in mind hotels in Galway are roughly the same as Dublin, if they did not sign up they could charge what they wanted, but considering all the friends of Galway were well displayed on leaflets, websites, bord failte , stickers on buildings etc etc. Any business that signed up to the lets do it Galway were vetted, checked and were in the whole found to comply with the rules laid down, the irish Hotels Federation and the VFI put together a customer sevice charter. Read it on www.letsdoitgalway.ie You will also notice 650,000 people came to the city that is 15% of the irish population.
How it took two hours to get to town is impossible, it is just not possble. I came into the city on two of the busiest nights and took me 25 minutes to do the trip, rain would have made a little difference no doubt(to Locals) but again you are way off the mark as hundreds of thousands of visitors came to the city to see the boats, did they all check the weather forecast no they could not be bothered they came because they wanted to be part of it. June in Ireland does not guarantee no rain. If the business people in Sligo had any cop on they would fight for the event rather then whinge then look at the business model from Galway and copy it.
It was so successful the Ocean Race committee want to come back as soon as 2011, plus other major sailing and power boat events have asked Galway to hold events. Its not rocket science, so instead of Silgo whinging about something that was basically handed to them and they did the dog on it, fight for it or lose it and watch some other town or city make a real go of it.

#57 ·
From OceanFM.ie...

Motorsport Ireland confirmination on world rally

The President of Motorsport Ireland has confirmed the World Rally Championships will not be coming to Ireland in 2011.
Sligo’s Joe Corcoran said despite their best efforts, the North West or Ireland did not secure a spot on the draft calender put forward at the World Rally Commission in Paris yesterday.
The news signals a huge blow to the North West which hosted stages in the last two champioships and hoped to attract the event in 2011.
Mr. Corcoran admitted it was disappointing however he hopes to attract the WRC back to the region in the future.

#59 ·
From OceanFM.ie...

Motorsport Ireland confirmination on world rally

The President of Motorsport Ireland has confirmed the World Rally Championships will not be coming to Ireland in 2011.
Sligo’s Joe Corcoran said despite their best efforts, the North West or Ireland did not secure a spot on the draft calender put forward at the World Rally Commission in Paris yesterday.
The news signals a huge blow to the North West which hosted stages in the last two champioships and hoped to attract the event in 2011.
Mr. Corcoran admitted it was disappointing however he hopes to attract the WRC back to the region in the future.
Also from OceanFM.ie
"Rally Ireland say no final decision on WRC

Rally Ireland has said no final decision has been made on the staging of the World Rally Championships.
It comes as Sligo Senator Marc Mac Sharry said a decision was taken in Paris yesterday that the rally would not come back to the North West and Ireland.
He said the loss of the event was largely down to the proposal that it be moved from Sligo to the East Coast.
However Event Director John Naylor maintains yesterdays announcement was only a proposal and is not written in stone."

So which is true is it not coming or is it, if its not coming this is our punishment for backin vatenan in the previous election, i knew that decision would come back to haunt us!!!

#58 ·
Also from OceanFM.ie

Rally Ireland has said no final decision has been made on the staging of the World Rally Championships.
It comes as Sligo Senator Marc Mac Sharry said a decision was taken in Paris yesterday that the rally would not come back to the North West and Ireland.
He said the loss of the event was largely down to the proposal that it be moved from Sligo to the East Coast.
However Event Director John Naylor maintains yesterdays announcement was only a proposal and is not written in stone."

#61 ·
Also from OceanFM.ie

It must be a proposal , Naylor is always right .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.