Rally Forums banner

bureaucracy gone mad

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wartburg 
#1 ·
I am a member of a local Classic Car Club which holds regular 'runs' to various destinations and rallies through out Ireland.
The Club is a member of the A.O.V.C. ( Association of Old Vehicle Clubs) and as a result of a meeting held last week at which a member of the Parades Commission was present it transpired that in order to organise a 'run' in Northern Ireland we must now apply to the Commission for permission. According to the Public Processions Act " If the Club arranges for a run where members set out with others from a pre-arranged place and time and travel together,to a pre-arranged location, this would appear to be a parade/ procession and as such needs to be notified"
In essence this means is that if two or three people decide to go out for a Sunday drive, arrange to meet at a specific location at a certain time and travel to the same location they will need to inform the Commission by completing an 8 page form which must be submitted through the local police station.
The form (11/1) asks for details of the route to be used, dates and times, who will be in charge and must be submitted 28 days before the trip.
When asked if the rules apply only to clubs and societies the representative said that it applied to everyone and that the Commission intend to make all Clubs etc. aware of the rules.
This means that if marshalls, comms. teams etc intend to meet at a pre designated place and travel in convoy to a rally they would need to get permission from the Commission by filling in the 11/1 form at least 28 days before they travel.
They could also go as far as asking every road rally to conform with the legislation as they would also fall within the criteria.
It seems the only people exempt from the rules is The Salvation Army along a route customarily followed by them, and a funeral possession and there will be no other exemptions without approval from the Secretary Of State.
If no permission has been received it is up to the P.S.N.I. to instigate proceedings against those involved.
I am sure you will agree that as far as motorsport is concerned these rules will have a very detrimental affect and as I have said this is truly bureaucracy gone mad.

See less See more
#5 ·
Driving 30 sec's apart in normal road traffic is not a procession, therefore it would not apply. Also do you really think the PSNI will stop three classic cars out for a Sunday drive. I don't think so, they have better things to do I am sure. If its a big meeting , what is the problem they will clear streets for you allow you to park in no parking areas.
It is a bit mad, but there you go.

#6 ·
At an Ulster rally training session a couple of years ago they had an ex police riot squad member talking to us. He said that the the first book an organiser should look at as far as crowds were concerned was the The Parades Commission as that was in fact what we were doing, albeit at a bit more than walking pace!! It contains everything you need to know about controlling large crowds to public health and safety requirements. He even was able to give you an NVQ in it:dunno::dunno: He had given this talk to many different sports.

#7 ·
Ok so what about the parade that most big rallies have through the town centre of where ever they are being hosted. for example is there not a parade through lurgan before the cars start the rally and what about all the official cars that pass through a stage before the rally cars come they are not 30 sec apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.