Drive of the Rally ? [Archive] - RallyForums.com

PDA

View Full Version : Drive of the Rally ?

rallyretro
09-04-2012, 13:44
‎Circuit of Ireland Rally Drive of the Rally ? I think Adrian Hetherington deserves it. Fifth overall in the National, and first two wheel drive car home by a long shot. All this, despite having three punctures ! And, on the last stage, over 25km long, he completed it just 3.1 seconds slower than the WRC Mini of McGarrity !!!

MAD ARAB
09-04-2012, 13:53
Yea I agree

touch of the clutch
09-04-2012, 14:01
Hard to say - few men had a big rally.

Heatherington for sure
McCormack - lot of bother and still got the result
Raymond Doyle - Brave share of issues but was driving the door handles off her all saturday

09-04-2012, 15:55
I think Breen has to get it. Consistently 4th quickest to the 3 works cars in an outdated (by this stage) 207. Got road penalties but kept the head and still never put a mark on it in tricky conditions, got home, and still finished in front of all the other locals. Nothing more could really have been expected of him.

On another note some people thought Ireland had a few young drivers coming through that were going to be as good if not better than Meeke. Hopefully people will now realize that Meeke/IRC/WRC is a different level to anything we have at the minute or may ever have again. Some may now realize his achievement in winning the IRC.

Dan Forsyth
09-04-2012, 16:07
Breen was out in the latest spec 207 for 2012 though...

Graham Curry
09-04-2012, 18:49
INT: Doyle was going great all weekend and great to watch.

NAT: Gass or Orr where both spectacular to watch, on the limit.

two kram
09-04-2012, 18:57
Historic; WESLEY PATTERSON
iNTER; BREEN
NATIONAL; HETHERINGTON

CADDYE555
09-04-2012, 23:00
[QUOTE=909;356059]I think Breen has to get it. Consistently 4th quickest to the 3 works cars in an outdated (by this stage) 207. Got road penalties but kept the head and still never put a mark on it in tricky conditions, got home, and still finished in front of all the other locals. Nothing more could really have been expected of him.

Aidan, when I read this first I thought you were joking but on reflection you're probably right.. Craig in fairness had a good event but I can't help thinking the Irish lads missed a big opportunity. Robert, youre pre rally tip, seemed to cruise around setting reasonable times but looks happier to be dominating Irish national rallies. Craig drove clean but was only swapping times with his French teammate Arzeno who only started rallying three years ago. And Alister to be fair give it a go and pushed hard only to go off but at least he entered into the spirit of the thing! At the end of the day these boys were at home and that advantage should have been huge. Just don't think they made the most of it!

Eoin Sills
10-04-2012, 00:34
Id say Garry Jennings Deserves drive of the rally in IRC shame he wasn't in an s2000 he has the things between the legs to get 100% out of any car he sits in and some times even more.
Adrain Hetherington In National kept the head after 3 punctures.
Wesley Patterson in Historic a class act as always

CADDYE555
10-04-2012, 00:50
Garys a good driver but on some stages was a minute down on the skodas. Gary had his chance before when he won the 106 cup but was dissappointing in the works drive the year after.. Didn't shine either in rally Ireland. No doubt a great driver but never on the big group n pace of Higgins, wilks, gwyndaf or Cronin.

10-04-2012, 01:32
[QUOTE=909;356059]

Aidan, when I read this first I thought you were joking but on reflection you're probably right.. Craig in fairness had a good event but I can't help thinking the Irish lads missed a big opportunity. Robert, youre pre rally tip, seemed to cruise around setting reasonable times but looks happier to be dominating Irish national rallies. Craig drove clean but was only swapping times with his French teammate Arzeno who only started rallying three years ago. And Alister to be fair give it a go and pushed hard only to go off but at least he entered into the spirit of the thing! At the end of the day these boys were at home and that advantage should have been huge. Just don't think they made the most of it! not a pre rally tip Aidan I just didn't agree with people not entering him into calculations, got on as I thought he would, steady and no mistakes. The other boys are world class. Breen did as well as could be expected. 3 irish men missing from the rally in S2000's who could shake things up, mc shea, Cathcart and Cronin. Only for mechanical failure frank Kelly was as good as the rest.

CADDYE555
10-04-2012, 01:50
[quote=CADDYE555;356113] not a pre rally tip Aidan I just didn't agree with people not entering him into calculations, got on as I thought he would, steady and no mistakes. The other boys are world class. Breen did as well as could be expected. 3 irish men missing from the rally in S2000's who could shake things up, mc shea, Cathcart and Cronin. Only for mechanical failure frank Kelly was as good as the rest.

Oh, I think you were a big barrible fan pre event..the oo car was steady with no mistakes! Agree with what you say but think breen needs to get out of his confort zone and start taking risks.. In fairness hes a good consistent finisher but I think he would be forgiven the odd accident if the stage times were good!

mg07wrc
10-04-2012, 13:49
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/hanninen_what_happened_to_the_locals/

10-04-2012, 16:57
[quote=909;356134]

Oh, I think you were a big barrible fan pre event..the oo car was steady with no mistakes! Agree with what you say but think breen needs to get out of his confort zone and start taking risks.. In fairness hes a good consistent finisher but I think he would be forgiven the odd accident if the stage times were good!

Yes caddye the 00 car was steady also but he wasn't beating Donnelly , McKinstry and McGarrity while driving a 2.0 n/a car ! He was steady and fast, very very few people from this country could have stepped into that car at the weekend and performed any better. As for Breen pushing it he's not in a full works drive so maybe can't afford a reshell every second event which is what may be needed trying to keep up with mikkelsen and Hanninen. It may be a different story if a team was supplying a car and covering repair bills

Michael O Connor
10-04-2012, 18:56
Gary Jennings ... Absolute Class Act!

Noel157
10-04-2012, 20:34
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/hanninen_what_happened_to_the_locals/

Circuit of Ireland winner Juho Hanninen has admitted he was surprised at the lack of pace from the locals on the third round of the IRC..................“I think Juho’s point is fair enough,” said Breen. “There’s no point beating about the bush, they came here and beat us, fair and square. We has some problems on the event and I’d like to think things will be different next time.”

Next time in Ireland or next time as in Corsica? Not sure things will be different, anywhere, at least in the near future. Hope I'm wrong.

cole2
10-04-2012, 21:34
Next time in Ireland or next time as in Corsica? Not sure things will be different, anywhere, at least in the near future. Hope I'm wrong.

quite true Noel. When the likes of Mikkelsen and Hanninen come to your home turf,that is the time to have a go at them if thats the intention, Corsica will sort the men from the boys even more so in my opinion. craig did a good job at the weekend, but for anyone expecting him to be battling for iRC wins on pure pace any time soon will be disappointed.
Mikkelsen and Hanninen are world class, only a couple of Irish drivers with the talent to match them at the moment.

10-04-2012, 22:18
All correct Coleman except one point, only 1 person in Ireland able to match them now and he prob not gonna do any rallying this year.

euw938v
10-04-2012, 22:44
Agree with both Cole and 909

For Breen last weekend was a lost opportunity and slightly dented his reputation. To make a living from the sport you got to be able to match the best in the business and in IRC terms and on home ground Craig was left in the dust of Hanninen and Mikkelsen

Look McRae in the late 80's early 90's on the RAC he was mixing it with the very best and setting fastest stage time on the RAC his home event. For me Craig needs to start displaying similar speed.

Over the course of the weekend he failed to set a top three time. For me his team mater Arenzo was the far more impressive of the two. As he never competed on these roads before

OK Craig has car trouble and struggled with set up but towards the end of the rally he was expressing that the car was much more to his liking yet 4th/5th fastest stages time was all that he could muster

Should Craig has opted for the Fiesta for the event who knows ? For me he need to start proving that he has the out and out speed to get to next step of his career

Time will tell if this will happen. I am not belittling the young fella but looking at his performance over the weekend and voicing my opinion

His achievements to date in the sport have been remarkable. Credit to him his family and his team around him.

He is a young Irish driver representing our country on the world stage he will always have my support and I wish him all the very best in his future en devours

Just feel like this was a major opportunity missed to prove what he truly capable as a driver

jojo
10-04-2012, 23:23
All correct Coleman except one point, only 1 person in Ireland able to match them now and he prob not gonna do any rallying this year.

Ya yer rite there.
remember, mikleson was the 1 putting most of the pressure on meeke back on the 07 lakes, beating him on both runs over ballochbeema, and he was 18 at the time ! so for me he's got it. VW wouldnt be putting him in a car in argintina and other rallys if they didnt agree.

Re Breen, it wouldnt be smart to bin it, having handed the skoda trio a minute and a half, especially if the car wasnt handling the way his fiesta does on the first of 3 ( or more) events.
bin it now and he may not get to do the other 2!
i Thought he mite have done better, but some times forcing it is the wrong thing 2 do..........

cole2
11-04-2012, 10:21
like was mentioned about mcrae on the RAC years ago, the best in the world came to Britain and this young fella was on theyre pace, it rarely lasted but everyone could see the speed was there. we had Coleman here in the 70's and 80's able to match it with the best of them on the circuit, and further afield when the opportunity arose. When rally ireland came here it was Meeke who stuck his neck out and had a go, although he was blasted by many for making a mistake that time, he had the speed and has poved since he can mix it with the best.
If you look at it from a casual spectator point of view it would be hard for them to understand how our man, who is leading the s2000 "WORLD" championship, is so far off the pace when the IRC rolls into town.

Southsider
11-04-2012, 10:54
Seriously for anyone who wants to know why Breen got his hole opened. You just had to stand at the big speed sections on the Redrock stage or any of the stages. That Peugeot, upgrades or not, doesn't shine a light to the Skodas. Also remember that Skoda outfit is a VW team in Disguises. I love the way the Breen bashing begins after he has a bad result which technically if people know the facts was nothing to to with Craig driving the car. Mikkelsen who is on the pace kept commenting on how crazy the pace was with him and Hanninen. Why would Breen bother matching that and tempt faith by wrecking a car by completely over driving a car that was not fit to match the Skodas. Breen went to Sweden last year and on various WRC rounds has shown he can handle the pressure Fiesta Academy or Fiesta S2000. Also as already stated this is no local event to anyone bar Darren Gass. The characteristic of the Armagh and East Tyrone roads are very different to what most of the Irish Championship rallys are. In spots of the stages you would tight enough bring a night nav up them. So cut the lad a bita flack for God's sake.. Seems to me that Jealously is rife on this forum. Comparing him to Colin McRae is slightly unfair. Breen like McRae has talent. But nowadays big rallying teams are alot harder to get into then back then. So while your in one you may aswell do all you can to stay in them.

On another matter the three Irish young lads have nothing to fear going away from this. As one person said. A big result in Ypres could count for alot more then a big result here in Ireland.

Pat McHugh
12-04-2012, 00:10
Well put southsider,I for one am proud to see that we have Irish drivers in top tens on IRC events I'll go back to the scenario what if we had no drivers competing on the WRC or IRC,we should be backing our lads not knocking them,but this seems to be an Irish thing knock our own not supporting our own

Noel157
12-04-2012, 00:43
Pat, don't think many, if any, don't support our drivers but it has to be tempered with realism as well. Some years ago we had the same discussion about McHale in Mexico when he finished 6th. Fantastic that he went out there and fantastic that he made it to the finish but anybody that mentioned he was ages off the pace were slated, just like now. Usual nonsense about jealously and being unpatriotic were thrown about, just like now.
Personally the sport of rallying comes before nationalistic notions for me. And yes it is good that we have Irish drivers in the top 10 of the IRC but competition wise many of us want to see better results.

PS- Breen himself thought he could've done better so those that are apparently not backing our drivers agree with Craig himself.

Pat McHugh
12-04-2012, 01:58
I know where your coming from noel,Ypur making some very valid points,I suspose there is a time when when you have to make the next step,but it's good that we're here discussing this about an Irish driver,many other country's would be envious of our perdiciment

Brian Kirwan
12-04-2012, 02:23
Well put southsider,I for one am proud to see that we have Irish drivers in top tens on IRC events I'll go back to the scenario what if we had no drivers competing on the WRC or IRC,we should be backing our lads not knocking them,but this seems to be an Irish thing knock our own not supporting our own

Agree and lads should remember craig is on this site to. He must have seen the comments on here about his accent to as he felt the need to comment on it somewhere,i cant remember where i saw it, its good to no when he comes on here he can read up on all the feedback, and no where he is going wrong so he can work on it for the next rally.

Tiger
12-04-2012, 08:29
Also as already stated this is no local event to anyone bar Darren Gass. The characteristic of the Armagh and East Tyrone roads are very different to what most of the Irish Championship rallys are. In spots of the stages you would tight enough bring a night nav up them. So cut the lad a bita flack for God's sake.. Seems to me that Jealously is rife on this forum. Comparing him to Colin McRae is slightly unfair. Breen like McRae has talent. But nowadays big rallying teams are alot harder to get into then back then. So while your in one you may aswell do all you can to stay in them.
Did he not do The Ulster in the Fiesta S2000 in 2010 and win the BRC side of that rally ? And what was the difference between them roads and the roads the rally took place at the weekend ?:confused:

flatcrest500
12-04-2012, 08:44
Did he not do The Ulster in the Fiesta S2000 in 2010 and win the BRC side of that rally ? And what was the difference between them roads and the roads the rally took place at the weekend ?:confused:

100 lorry loads of gravel, 50 dump trailers worth of clay, and 10000 more corners......(recent) ulster stages (since the rally left Armagh and went to Antrim) are more open, wider and generally different for 2 locations a few miles apart.......

cole2
12-04-2012, 09:04
Dont think anyone on here is knocking breen, just saying it how it is really. Its fantastic to have an irish man flyng the flag, but lets not get carried away, thats all. craig seems to be putting alot of pressure on himself before events. his last quote seems to suggest that he expects to be beating Mikkelsen and Hanninen the next time out. That is a very bold statement ! Creating a hype is one thing ,but there are times when its just your driving should be doing the talking.

jonnyc
12-04-2012, 10:06
For me the best of all weekend was the chap in the chopper doing the filming - some bit of steering.

alankane
12-04-2012, 13:28
Those three drivers came here raise the bar now are lads now know where it is they have to rise to it I think them and all of us were caught on the hop

Garrett Loughran
12-04-2012, 13:33
The performance advantage of the skodas over all the other s2000 cars should not be underestimated. They are visibly faster!

Pat McHugh
12-04-2012, 14:13
For me the best of all weekend was the chap in the chopper doing the filming - some bit of steering.

He could fairly steer that chopper all right,wonder what he'd be like in a car:)

dmg
13-04-2012, 10:06
Those three drivers came here raise the bar now are lads now know where it is they have to rise to it I think them and all of us were caught on the hop

Have to agree with this totally. I really enjoyed watching these skoda boys at the weekend, there speed and commitment was unreal.:eek:

I say fair play to Breen, first time out in a new car with a few problems, he was well on the pace and Im sure he felt the pressure of not wanting to bin it either, even though it was his so called 'home event'.

Great shame that Fisher went out too but as someone said before the wee fiesta and the pugs just didnt seem to have the legs of the skodas.

As for the drive of the rally, I think that boy in the black megane should get it, he seemed to be wrestling with the car to keep in a straight line most of the time but he kept the toe in! Think they need to work on there irish set up!:D

Great rally, well done to all involved.

Tartanic
16-04-2012, 10:05
‎Circuit of Ireland Rally Drive of the Rally ? I think Adrian Hetherington deserves it. Fifth overall in the National, and first two wheel drive car home by a long shot. All this, despite having three punctures ! And, on the last stage, over 25km long, he completed it just 3.1 seconds slower than the WRC Mini of McGarrity !!!

He wasn't the first 2wd home, McCormack beat him by 2min 3.2sec. And remember that the DS3 is probably 100hp down and 200kg heavier.

Gary Nolan
16-04-2012, 11:29
He wasn't the first 2wd home, McCormack beat him by 2min 3.2sec. And remember that the DS3 is probably 100hp down and 200kg heavier.

I think Fergus made it fairly clear he was talking about the National section of the event. We weren't checkin Marty's times and i'd be fairly sure Marty or Dave had no pass on our times!

rallyretro
16-04-2012, 13:49

I wasn't ignoring McCormacks result, I was as Gary says referring to the National, and, rear wheel drive entries.

anto
16-04-2012, 14:47
Has to be Hannian. First time on Irish tar and to push Mikkleson into a mistake and take the win.

Awesome driving at 100% all weekend.

Tartanic
16-04-2012, 16:41
I wasn't ignoring McCormacks result, I was as Gary says referring to the National, and, rear wheel drive entries.

Ah right, so what you meant to say was in their part of the rally, in their particular type of car they were the fastest.

I'm only winding lads so don't take offence, it's just a bit craic.