IRC Entry [Archive] - RallyForums.com

PDA

View Full Version : IRC Entry

Noel157
29-02-2012, 08:26
In addition to Mikkelsen Skoda Motorsport will also enter Juho Hanninen which is good news. It was thought that Kopecky would appear instead due to his asphalt experience.
We should hear more about entries from Europe over the next week or two.

Dan Forsyth
29-02-2012, 18:38
I wonder if the 2 Germans will make an appearance?

Tony Hamilton
29-02-2012, 19:16
Think I remember Gassner not having it as part of his plans but that could change; would imagine he'd need all the tarmac events he can get! Really hope Wiegand comes, hasn't got a lot of 4WD experience but certainly hasn't disgraced himself either for VW last year or Skoda Deutschland so far. Seems a damn sight more promising than Wallenwein was last year. Wonder if we'll see Loix?

Noel157
01-03-2012, 01:13
Would be great to see Freddy. Think he's got a bit more budget this year as he's doing his IRC rounds as well as the Belgian championship (in different cars/makes too apparently)

Pat McHugh
01-03-2012, 14:02
I think some rounds will suffer as the championship is looking like it I'll flourish on the eastern bloc rounds.
This Craic of picking what you want is it a good idea it doesn't give a consistant level of comitment in the championship,
I think you will find many teams afraid of Ireland and also the prospect of taking on our trio of quick kids may make the stay away.

I also hearing the midland rally may benifit from the skoda team entering their event

Noel157
01-03-2012, 21:55
I think some rounds will suffer as the championship is looking like it I'll flourish on the eastern bloc rounds.
This Craic of picking what you want is it a good idea it doesn't give a consistant level of comitment in the championship,
I think you will find many teams afraid of Ireland and also the prospect of taking on our trio of quick kids may make the stay away.

I also hearing the midland rally may benifit from the skoda team entering their event

Don't really think that'll be a factor.

Good news if teams use a local event to warm up.
Would also be interesting to see if anybody rents an S2K on a one off outing.

anto
02-03-2012, 00:45
Breen is down to do it.

Is Barrable & Jonny Greer going to enter in the skodas? Any British entrys do you think?

David Ryan
02-03-2012, 09:16
Barrable is!

rallygm
02-03-2012, 17:00
Breen is down to do it.

Is Barrable & Jonny Greer going to enter in the skodas? Any British entrys do you think?

greer has the car sold to the middle east

anto
02-03-2012, 21:50
Fisher in Pacenotes says he will hire the ford S2000 for the COI

Ruaidhri Nash
02-03-2012, 22:07
rumour of breen and fisher making a ford team for the circuit?

Noel157
02-03-2012, 22:30
rumour of breen and fisher making a ford team for the circuit?

Think the pair of them are doing 3 IRC events- COI, Ypres and another event.

miked
03-03-2012, 16:47
greer has the car sold to the middle east

Think Davy said on patterson rallynews that the deal had fallen through, maybe back on though as that was a few weeks ago

Noel157
03-03-2012, 20:35

They are scheduled to appear.

No Fast Freddy. Looks like he's giving the IRC a miss with the exception of his home event. Will do French asphalt championship in a 207 and have the odd outing in a whale.

If Bouffier can get some rent together he should start.

crutts
04-03-2012, 21:53
Could be some of the BRC boys coming over to do it in 2WD's?

anto
04-03-2012, 23:47
Loads of french lads to come in Clios also.

Tommy Hayes
05-03-2012, 20:53
Loads of french lads to come in Clios also.

Droit six, quarante gauche trois, ne coupe pas.....

Yeah I'm ready if someone needs me

Stuart Oliver
05-03-2012, 21:32
heard meeke wants to do the COI in mcgeehans mini.

John kearns
05-03-2012, 22:10
will donnelly be not using de mini as it is part of de international championship

Noel157
05-03-2012, 22:27
Think the pair of them are doing 3 IRC events- COI, Ypres and another event.

Fisher only in a Ford, Breen in a 207 Evo.

https://www.rallyforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32749

Tony Hamilton
07-03-2012, 21:45
Arzeno entry confirmed as Breen's team-mate, excited to see him after his really impressive run in Monte Carlo!

Noel157
07-03-2012, 23:28
Arzeno entry confirmed as Breen's team-mate, excited to see him after his really impressive run in Monte Carlo!

As mentioned in the IRC board Arzeno is quick and probably one of the top 2 or 3 young French drivers around at the moment. Similar background to Breen- many years in karting and started rallying only 3 years ago. He should be good to watch.

Pat McHugh
08-03-2012, 13:53
See Folidn is another man doing rounds in a hankook car but as common trend another driver sidestepping the circuit you'd swear they were afraid of the Irish tar

anto
08-03-2012, 14:59
I wonder why. :D In rally Ireland days I cant remember which one it was but all the top 20 except Loab crashed at some point over the weekend.

rallyretro
08-03-2012, 15:40
A few mph more and Loebs one or two overshoots could have been crashes. I'm sure he found the Irish roads and lanes just as tricky as any of the drivers.

prpr
11-03-2012, 11:32

From Gassner's team website, www.brr.at (http://www.brr.at) , Circuit not on his schedule

8 plus 1! Gassner jr. / Wicha will compete in the IRC:

http://www.brr.at/cms/typo3temp/pics/65235f4ac9.jpg
From the Azores to Cyprus: Hermann will be looking for a challenge eight times in 2012 – with the Red Bull Skoda in the IRC, the Intercontinental Rally Challenge.
Hermann Gassner jun./Klaus Wicha (GER/Škoda Fabia S2000) will contest eight events in the IRC this year – as well as the German WRC round.
The German rally champion of 2009, Hermann Gassner jun., will face a completely new but also promising challenge in 2012 – both in terms of quantity and quality.
The 23 year old Bavarian, together with co-driver Klaus Wicha, will compete in the Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC) this season and also contest the WRC event in Germany. Nine rallies in nine month in the Red Bull Skoda Fabia S2000!
Thanks to its professional background the IRC has been regarded as one of the most important “producers” of international young rallying professionals for several years.
The season starts at the end of February in the Azores and concludes at the beginning of November in Cyprus. All events will be held in Europe, even though no less than four new rallies have appeared on the calendar this year: Bulgaria, Ireland, Romania and San Marino. Nine events will be run on tarmac, three on gravel, and one on a mixed surface.

http://www.brr.at/cms/typo3temp/pics/2772d0dfe4.jpg
The entry list is top-level: Reigning IRC champion Andreas Mikkelsen (Škoda Fabia S2000) will try to defend his title. The further favourites in this championship, among others, are SWRC world champion Hänninen and Jan Kopecky.
Hermann Gassner jun.: “It looks like I’m going to spend a lot of time in the ****pit this year, and that’s a good thing too. It’s certainly the best for my development. I’m going to try and keep up with the best of them from the very start.
My team as well as my familiar rallying machine, the Škoda Fabia S2000, will help me in doing so. And with Klaus Wicha a very experienced co-driver will be available to me. I can hardly wait for the season to finally kick off.”
BRR team principal Raimund Baumschlager: “The year 2012 in the IRC will be a completely new experience for all of us and for sure a new challenge as well. It’s the right step for Hermann in his career management, after all he will be able to contest no less than nine top rallies this year. That’s also why it’s the right switch from the SWRC into the IRC, since the competition in the Intercontinental Rally Challenge will be stronger this year than in the world championship – with top drivers like Juho Hänninen, IRC champion Mikkelsen or Kopecky.”
Of the thirteen IRC rounds the seven best results per crew will be factored in. The calendar is extremely compact and will lead through virtually all of Europe over the course of nine months.
Continuous live TV broadcasting on Eurosport is particularly attractive for all the drivers.
The 2012 IRC calendar for Gassner jr.:
Feb 23 - 25: Sata Rallye Acores / Portugal - gravel
Mar 15 - 17: Rally Islas Canarias El Corte Ingles / Spain - tarmac
May 11 - 12: Tour de Corse / France - tarmac
Jun 2 - 3: Canon Mecsek Rallye / Hungary - tarmac
Jun 21 - 23: GEKO Ypres Rally / Belgium - tarmac
Aug 31 - Sep 2: Barum Czech Rally Zlin / Czech Rep. - tarmac
Oct 12 - 13: Rallye Sanremo / Italy - tarmac
Nov 2 - 3: Cyprus Rally / Cyprus - gravel/tarmac

prpr
11-03-2012, 12:01
Wiegand's own site or that of his team don't specify which rounds he'll be doing:

From www.seppwiegand.com (http://www.seppwiegand.com):

SKODA AUTO Germany starts
with junior team in the 2012 IRC
Sepp Wiegand and co-driver Timo Gottschalk in the launch Fabia S2000

Realignment of motorsports involvement: SKODA AUTO Germany focuses on the Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC)

Weiterstadt, 30.01. January 2012 - New challenge: SKODA AUTO Germany sets up the rally after the first exposure trial deployments in the last season for 2012 in full effect on the IRC. . Plan is to use a Fabia S2000 in ten of the thirteen races expected at the wheel of one of the top talent turns in German rallying: Sepp Wiegand . The only 21-year-old youngster from Zwönitz in Saxony sat down at a screening against several competitors. By his side sits an experienced and already internationally successful man: Timo Gottschalk. The 37-year-old Berliner has a co-pilot won the Dakar Rally in 2011, among other things. No other brand in recent years was on Germany's rally tracks more often than at the top of the podium SKODA. The pilot, Matthias Kahle and Co. Peter Goebel dominated by Octavia WRC Fabia WRC as well as with the Fabia S2000 for almost a decade, the national championship. . In the years 2010 and 2011 with Mark Wall Wine / Stefan Kopczyk their strongest competitors came from his own team now it is time for the next step: SKODA AUTO Germany turns his involvement in an international rally. Focus On The Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC). The most important test of strength below the World Rally Championship in 2012 identified a total of thirteen races in the best of the best. And hopefully sitting back the wheel of a Škoda Fabia S2000. A more realistic request - such as last year's overall result shows that the first three places occupied exclusively ŠKODA pilots, led by champion Andreas Mikkelsen from Norway, followed by the Czech Jan Kopecký and the Finn Juho Hanninen. All three will go again this year in the IRC at the start. SKODA AUTO Germany in 2012 Fabia S2000 employs a have the same technical level as the current car is the factory team. Optimal conditions for the newly formed team driver Sepp Wiegand / Timo Gottschalk in order to be able to attack even when the season begins in the Azores. The only 21-year-old Wiegand is one of the top young talents in the German Rally Sport.Despite his young age, the qualified motor vehicle mechatronics is sporty while almost an old hand: the age of nine, he was a race with an Enduro. Initial experience with the Fabia S2000 collected Zwönitzer the end of 2011 the team from VW Motorsport in Wales Rally - a race for the World Rally Championship. And as already heard Sepp Wiegand on the announcements by Timo Gottschalk. The 37-year-old Berlin brings a lot of international experience and routine with the ****pit. Among his greatest successes, the victory counts as co-pilot in the 2011 edition of the Dakar Rally. In addition to his duties at the side of Sepp Wiegand is involved with Timo Gottschalk VW Motorsport in preparation for the factory team to the World Rally Championship 2013th are cared Technically, the rally events in the IRC by JUKA motorsport. The Czech team is a longstanding partner of SKODA AUTO Germany and the Fabia S2000 familiar. The project receives support but also by the manufacturer in the Czech Republic itself Thus, in addition to technical assistance provided under other common test activities with the work team. The season starts in late February in the Azores, the final will be held in November in Cyprus. All rallies are run in Europe, nine have to ask the pilots to demonstrate their skills on asphalt and gravel three times. Only in Cyprus, there is a mix of both. Bulgaria, Ireland, Romania and San Marino for the first time addressed from an IRC run. Which starts the events SKODA Germany is yet to be decided.

Team site
http://www.jukamotorsport.cz/en/news/detail/id/305 (http://www.jukamotorsport.cz/en/news/detail/id/305)

prpr
11-03-2012, 16:50
European Megane RS N4 Championship is cancelled due to lack of entries, according to report on autosport.cz: http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=13447/ (http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=13447/) (Circuit was to be the opneing round). Nothing official on Renault Sport site.

crutts
14-03-2012, 22:55
Our entry is in in the Twingo R2

prpr
17-03-2012, 20:59
From IRC website, Gassner's next appearance will be Corsica:

http://www.ircseries.com/uploads/photobank/seasons/2012/news/small/small_gassner_esp_31.jpg
17 March 2012 11:59Optimistic pacenote caused Gassner Jr crash, says bossHermann Gassner Jr’s team boss Raimund Baumschlager believes an over optimistic pacenote caused the Red Bull-backed star to crash out of Rally Islas Canarias El Corte Inglés this morning.

Gassner Jr, who is co-driven by fellow German Klaus Wicha, was in fourth overall on the Intercontinental Rally Challenge event when he crashed nearing the end of the of the all-new Maspalomas stage.
“It was not so much that he was overdriving, more that he was a bit optimistic with his pacenotes,” said Baumschlager. “It was a right-hander and he was too fast because of the pacenote, hit the barrier with the left side and then some concrete. The crew is okay but we are not sure about the car.”
Asked whether Gassner Jr should have settled for fourth place rather than pushing to catch Luis Monzón in third, Baumschlager said: “This is what we expect, he has to fight and show his speed against the big boys. To be on the top you need to be on the maximum and it’s easy to make mistakes.”
Gassner Jr will be back in IRC action on May’s Tour de Corse

prpr
17-03-2012, 21:09
The two Dream Team Ukraine drivers, Oleksiy Tamrazov and Oleksandr Saliuk Jr., appear to intend to contest all IRC rounds this year. From IRC website:

http://www.ircseries.com/uploads/photobank/seasons/2012/news/small/small_ukraine.jpg
22 February 2012 03:58
Dream Team Ukraine enters IRC

Not content with hosting a round of the all-action Intercontinental Rally Challenge, the Ukraine now has its own team competing in the series, starting from this week’s SATA Rallye Açores.

Dream Team Ukraine, which has appointed former world champion and rallying legend Ari Vatanen as its team coach, will enter two M-Sport Ford Fiesta Super 2000s on all 13 rounds of the IRC for Oleksiy Tamrazov and Oleksandr Saliuk Jr.

A third car, a production-based machine, will be entered for rising star Vitaliy Pushkar from June’s Canon Mecsek Rallye.

Dream Team Ukraine, which was launched in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv last week, was created by Evgeniy Chervonenko, a former USSR rally champion and the driving force behind the Prime Yalta Rally, and Tamrazov.

The Prime Yalta Rally, meanwhile, counts as round 10 of 13 of the IRC and takes place from 15/16 September in the Black Sea city of Yalta

prpr
17-03-2012, 21:20
Rashid Al Ketbi doing 10 rounds of IRC in Skydive Dubai Rally Team (JM Racing) Fabia, he has taken part in the first two events: From sport360.com:

Rashid Al Ketbi to make IRC debut in Skydive Dubai Rally Team

Jan 30, 2012http://static.sport360.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/main_image/30-local-victory-team-crop.jpg
Ready to roll: Skydive Dubai Rally Team will take part in the IRC this season.

Dubai’s Victory Team is on the threshold of making its presence felt big time on motorsport’s world stage with a debut at the Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC) this season, beginning next month.
Only as recently as last year did Victory make the foray into motorsport after becoming the most successful team in the history of powerboat racing following an exhibition entry in 1992.
And while Victory continues to dominate the waters even today, the decision to look for trophies on land stems from chairman HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s desire to support all forms of sport and to see a champion in as many sporting disciplines as possible.
As a result, Fazza Rally Team was formed in mid-February last year with the talented Rashid Al Ketbi as lead driver and the experienced Khalid Al Kendi as his navigator. The duo participated in the Middle East Rally Championship (MERC) in 2011, and despite missing out on the first round nevertheless secured second overall.
And, while they participated under the Fazza banner initially, the team switched to the Skydive Dubai banner for the last MERC round in Dubai last December.
Along with the change in name, Victory’s priorities for the rally team also changed dramatically: buoyed by their success, it was decided to use the rally team to promote Skydive Dubai – Victory’s entity that offers skydiving experiences in a dropzone located at the base of Palm Jumeirah.
Skydive Dubai Rally Team, with Al Ketbi at the wheel, is now all set to make its European debut with round one of the IRC, the Sata Rallye Açores in Portugal, from February 23-25.
The IRC this year will cover 13 rounds from February to November in countries across Europe - Portugal, Spain, UK/Ireland, France, Hungary, Belgium, San Marino, Czech Republic, Ukraine and Bulgaria.
Al Ketbi took part in a one-off IRC event from September 8-11 last year, the Canon Mecsek Rallye in Hungary, meant largely to test their new S2000. Speaking to Sport360°, he said: “Yes, we will be participating in 10 of the 13 IRC rounds this season starting with the first round in Portugal next month. We will be driving the latest Skoda 2000 fitted with a powerful Evo3 engine,” Rashid added.
Significantly, this will be the first Arab team to have ever participated in the IRC since its inception in 2006.
Considered by far more popular than the World Rally Championship, the IRC on an average attracts 100 entries, over 150,000 spectators at each event and millions more in television viewership.
Al Ketbi said: “Our board of directors (Dubai Victory Team) decided to field Skydive Dubai Rally Team in the interest of marketing Skydive to a larger audience worldwide. IRC attracts huge media; it is very widely televised as opposed to the poor attention the MERC receives.
“For the moment, the idea is not to challenge for the title but draw as much media mileage as possible to take Skydive Dubai to a larger audience. That does not mean we will not be competitive, of course we will be competitive but we will not lose sight of our primary goal – that is taking Skydive Dubai to a larger audience."

prpr
18-03-2012, 14:37
Marco Tempestini not out in IRC again until Corsica: http://www.napocarallyacademy.ro/2012/03/18/podium-pentru-tempesta-in-irc/ (http://www.napocarallyacademy.ro/2012/03/18/podium-pentru-tempesta-in-irc/)

prpr
18-03-2012, 17:06
Harry Hunt staying away as well: http://www.harryhuntmotorsport.com/blog/2012/03/last-minute-drama-for-harry-after-sterling-performance-on-the-canaries/

John William murphy
18-03-2012, 18:48
I HOPE there will be at least 10 drivers in s2000 cars it il be a bit of a lit down if there is not. i say some drivers are afraid of irish tar. or there is something else turning them away. :confused:

fatboymotorsport
18-03-2012, 19:14
Hunt would be put to shame on COI anyway, he picks his rallies so he has no competition.

prpr
18-03-2012, 19:19
To summarise:

Probable
Craig Breen Saintéloc Racing Peugeot 207 S2000
Mathieu Arzeno Saintéloc Racing Peugeot 207 S2000
Alastair Fisher M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000
Robert Barrable Evolution Motorsports Skoda Fabia S2000
Juho Hanninen Skoda Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000
Andreas Mikkelsen Skoda Rally Team Italia Skoda Fabia S2000
Derek McGarrity DMG Motorsport Mini Clubman JCW
Oleksiy Tamrazov M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000
Oleksandr Saliuk Jr. M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000

Possible
Sepp Wiegand Juka Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000
Rashid Al Ketbi JM Racing Skoda Fabia S2000
Kris Meeke McGeehan Motorsport Mini Clubman JCW
Menya Krozser Jas Motorsport Honda Civic Type R

Pat McHugh
18-03-2012, 21:33
Hunt would be put to shame on COI anyway, he picks his rallies so he has no competition.

Your right there he's a great man to side step competition likes the long hall events money is no object there so that's where he gets his results

You'd think he'd be mad to do his local irc round but would get opened

Pat McHugh
18-03-2012, 21:34
To summarise:

Probable
Craig Breen Saintéloc Racing Peugeot 207 S2000
Mathieu Arzeno Saintéloc Racing Peugeot 207 S2000
Alastair Fisher M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000
Robert Barrable Evolution Motorsports Skoda Fabia S2000
Juho Hanninen Skoda Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000
Andreas Mikkelsen Skoda Rally Team Italia Skoda Fabia S2000
Derek McGarrity DMG Motorsport Mini Clubman JCW
Oleksiy Tamrazov M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000
Oleksandr Saliuk Jr. M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000

Possible
Sepp Wiegand Juka Motorsport Skoda Fabia S2000
Rashid Al Ketbi JM Racing Skoda Fabia S2000
Kris Meeke McGeehan Motorsport Mini Clubman JCW
Menya Krozser Jas Motorsport Honda Civic Type R

There is a next to zero chance of meeke been on the circuit

baz
19-03-2012, 11:40
Your right there he's a great man to side step competition likes the long hall events money is no object there so that's where he gets his results

You'd think he'd be mad to do his local irc round but would get opened

Harry Hunt can hold his own on tarmac as proven before

http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/Results/MSA_british_09/Ulster/1/stage/1.html

It is a tight schedule to get the cars back from Azores and Canaries with the shipping, so it just might not suit their plans. Same goes with many other IRC drivers there could be a variety of reasons relating to why some may not come over, I wouldn't be so quick to assume it is because they are scared of Irish Tar. These guys compete all over the world in tricky specialist conditions with a crop of quick local youngsters eager to prove everywhere they go. I don't think the circuit holds anything special that would worry an international driver.

Pat McHugh
19-03-2012, 11:49
He 's got two cars by the way Baz

Boy you fairly belittled Irish rallying there And the circuit,why did the great seb loeb come to Ireland to test before rally Ireland to test.and also other works teams Done the same I'd say it's respect for the stages by international drivers and teams

baz
19-03-2012, 20:30
Fair point Pat hadn't considered the second car

I don't see it as a belittling of the Circuit or Irish talent at all, my main point was/is that international drivers will face junior drivers in the Czech republic,Ypres and many other rounds and I doubt the Irish terrain and talent has any influence on one teams decision to attend an event.

Craig Breen, Keith Cronin and Alistair Fisher have proven that Irish drivers are a force to be reckoned with on the World Stage and I believe that Alistair and Craig will be fighting for a podium finish come the Circuit.

Loeb and the main teams Test and compete on many events in different countries prior to WRC/IRC rounds especially new events when the calendar allows, Hirvonen and a host of other drivers competed on Rally Finnskog the week before Sweden this year and the Cambrian rally has regular WRC drivers competing held the week before Rally GB. It is just good practice from any professional outfit to test or compete in any new country the championship visits. Before Breen goes to any international event he will complete a full days test I'm sure that doesn't mean he is scared of the terrain or competition, simply if the funds and backing is available it is the best way to go about winning