Advice on visiting Ypres rally [Archive] - RallyForums.com

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on visiting Ypres rally

maximum attack
09-06-2010, 19:45
Hi Lads,

Looking to go to this rally travelling by road.

Has anyone been before and what route did you travel?

The rally website shows tickets for sale. What do the tickets cover?

Are they compulsory?

Can they be purchased easily when you get over?

Any other useful information appreciated.

Thanks.

rallyretro
10-06-2010, 11:42
I've never been, I'm in France that week for a wedding so gonna get the train over and hire a car in Lille on Thursday evening, then leave it off in Brussels on Sunday night before flying home.

Have found it very hard to get accommodation (simply because I left it so late but I was't sure what my plans fully were until this week) but I finally did find a solution.

Are you hiring a car there or taking a car on a boat?

Noel157
10-06-2010, 12:44
Hi Lads,

Looking to go to this rally travelling by road.

Has anyone been before and what route did you travel?

The rally website shows tickets for sale. What do the tickets cover?

Are they compulsory?

Can they be purchased easily when you get over?

Any other useful information appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally I'd forget about Ypres and go to Barum. Ypres is a great rally but they are very strict with regard to spectators and the official areas are often some distance away from the edge of the road. You could of course go "freelance" and nip across the fields as many people do. Tickets are compulsory and as said strictly policed. One other aspect of Ypres is that it is such a flat area and features too many straights which makes things a little less interesting.
Whereas with Barum you will have more freedom, less costs and, to my mind, a much better area to run a rally where the land is more akin to parts of Ireland than the flatlands of Belgium.

JOB
10-06-2010, 13:08
The rally has obviously changed since I did it in the mid 1990's. From speaking with those who came with us to spectate the impression at that time was that the marshals were as concerned with ensuring that all spectators had passes as they were with safety. The terrain is largely flat and featureless but Kemmel is one of the few hills and its cobbled. There is a bar on the hill and there should be a party atmosphere. The centre of Ypres has a huge square which is completely closed off and used as a massive service area. Well worth visiting. Each time the cars come into service they go over the ramp and are interviewed. This is shown on huge screens as is footage from the stages. Huge hospitality areas - was light years ahead of WRC back then. They used motorbikes to bring the video tapes from the stages back to Ypres - no doubt it is all live now. Check if the big jump on Sulferberg is on - big crowds but a local landmark. Very few rallies would interest me in revisiting them as a spectator but Ypres would be one.

R-Hicks
10-06-2010, 19:07
Personally I'd forget about Ypres and go to Barum. Ypres is a great rally but they are very strict with regard to spectators and the official areas are often some distance away from the edge of the road. You could of course go "freelance" and nip across the fields as many people do. Tickets are compulsory and as said strictly policed. One other aspect of Ypres is that it is such a flat area and features too many straights which makes things a little less interesting.
Whereas with Barum you will have more freedom, less costs and, to my mind, a much better area to run a rally where the land is more akin to parts of Ireland than the flatlands of Belgium.

I was at the rally last year, yes we had to buy passes but the stages were easy to find and there are many good viewing points - standing in fields of peas like we did!

Flights to chareloi airport were very reasonable and I booked it a week in advance, car hire reasonable also.

Lil Red
10-06-2010, 22:17
Travelling by road you could sail to the UK, drive down to Dover and sail across to Calais. If memory serves me correctly Ypres is no distance from Calais (an hour maybe, altho I'm open to correction!)

enzo
11-06-2010, 23:37
Dont drink any beer with monks on the label or containing plums, infact when in any country it might be wiser to steer clear of monks and plums.

rallymodels.co.uk
13-06-2010, 17:41
One thing we learnt was enjoy the atmosphere, Belgians tend to take their own small step ladder and plank of wood to make their own granstands in the field !, we found it amusing the open urinals in the town centre, and if you are standing in a field next to a Belgian spectator, and suddenly he turns around, he's probably having a wee ! Its good to get to the ceremonial start ramp by the town hall, and parc ferme / finish ramp is good....take a few minutes to walk up to the Menim Gate aswell, its only a few minutes from the town hall, and remember its signed Ieper in Belgium....ENJOY ! We had great times in Belgium.....

chi chi
14-06-2010, 21:43
seeded entry list on ypres site now, meeke first on the road 26 s2000 no ogier tough:(