Rally Forums banner

laptop

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jonnyc 
#1 ·
Any other techies out there recommend me a good laptop?

Looking for a wee beast with a bit of power preferrably with a 64-bit AMD processer, 1Gb RAM, SATA hard disk, PCI express graphics etc etc.

Have been looking at the macs, nice piece of kit but pricey enough.

Any advice appreciated
(as long as your not recommending dell)

Cheers
JC

#2 ·
Ya im thinking of getting the mac book pro..serious machine but like you said pricey!! for what you are talking about it would cost you 2200-2800..

512 ram in a mac is the almost the equvelent of 1024 in a PC..performance wise.

I recentely got a 250GB sata drive for me comp..I would definetely reccomend them,they are way faster and quiter.

#4 ·
Toshiba is what I should have bought-I got a Dell inspiron-the ford capri of the laptop-its ok but just can't help feeling like I should have spent a bit more and got a bit more. Sony are good too but a bit pricy. Catch up with you soon JonnyC

#5 ·
cheers guys,

yeah rallyfan SATA is the only way - only my desktop machine I have 3 of them - 700Gb in total!! I was thinking of doing a RAID setup but theres awful data redundancy that way.

Macs are nice but for I wouldnt buy one until I was sure I could run windows applications on it. I hear they have hacked it recently but im not sure of how stable the windows OS runs on it.

HP are good too but ideally id be after a dual core AMD machine.

Anyone ever heard of rock laptops? They are meant to be beasts.

Will prob see you at COI ruby if your going!

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by jonnyc]

#10 ·
DELL ARE CRAP

APPLE ARE SAVAGE.

Hay JC buy a mac book pro with the new intel chip.... am gonna get one meself soon coz they are savage.... once you get into apple you will never look back. If you depend on windows like that just get virtual pc and you can run windows that way. If you have 1gb ram then you can assign 768mb to vpc.

also toshiba are killer also. try www.bms.ie they have excellant deals on tosh.

but if you really want a killer laptop on a windows os try alien wear. i think its www.alienwear.com now they are powerful laptops... i would just love to own one!

but really i think apple is the way you should go :yes:

#14 ·
Originally posted by Ctdprep
Originally posted by rallyfan
If you wait a few months theres a new mac book pro coming out so any flaws will have been sorted and it should be improved as well.
exactly...
well guys, the new macbook is out.. its a replacement for the ibooks..

Hasnt got dedicated graphics card though so I'm thinking of going for the 15" macbook pro. Anyone else have one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.