Tesco brc [Archive] - RallyForums.com

PDA

View Full Version : Tesco brc

can1
10-02-2006, 18:58
Supermarket chain Tesco will join the MSA British Rally Championship in 2006 as title sponsor with their new high octane petrol containing bio-ethanol, Tesco 99 Octane, produced by Greenergy.

I think this is mad thay are takin the palce over:caution:

William Neill
10-02-2006, 19:27
every little helps :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

half bull half hiefer
10-02-2006, 21:10
pound stretcher is sponsering the circuit :P;):o:cool::yes::D:dunno:

McS
12-02-2006, 01:26
Originally posted by half bull half hiefer
pound stretcher is sponsering the circuit :P;):o:cool::yes::D:dunno:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh:

JJ
12-02-2006, 19:15
Wot about Dev's shop in Coronation St, he gonna sponsor a rally?

Pierce Doheny Jnr.
22-02-2006, 13:41
The Dunnes Stores ITC will be next, followed by the Super Valu National Championship, thats rallying as it should be!!!
The Centra Forestry Championship, for the way you live today!!!!
The COI will pob be sponsored by ALDI!!!!

half bull half hiefer
22-02-2006, 16:18
tesco is only a 1 year contract then mothercare are taking over :laugh::kiss::idea::D:):roll::barf::caution::yes:: P:(:o

sideways
23-02-2006, 13:24
Will the drivers get club card points :laugh::laugh:

TSM Motorsport
23-02-2006, 14:52
I don't know but championship is looking real good, Some of old names coming back, evans & co....

PUG RWD
25-03-2006, 21:28
"Value" BRC cheap without the WRC cars....:o
But hey Tesco aint no fools .....its good that they are putting cash into rallying.... guys like this dont normally .waste money do they.........

Neil McC
30-03-2006, 08:51
Originally posted by PUG RWD
"Value" BRC cheap without the WRC cars....:o

The championship may be cheaper to do due to the fact there's only 6 rounds and no wrcars, but the rallies are still as expensive as last year. Entry for the Pirelli £1000, and the Tesco 99 fuel ain't any cheaper than Sunoco and not nearly as good.

It will cost me more to do 6 rounds of the BRC than it did last year to do 8 rounds of the Evo's (7ancro + jim clarke). But as its GrpN based its probabily the only time I'll be able to compete against the top names in similar machinery.

The higher profile events are good to do but for me the Ancro rallies are the best value if your going across the water.

fidgy
30-03-2006, 09:15
With the sterling rates against euro is it not cheaper on british or northern drivers to do Tarmac series

Neil McC
30-03-2006, 12:43
Fidgy

Your probabily rite, but the tarmac series is just that, all tarmac. I personaly don't want to do all tarmac, it's hard to beat the gravel. Plus the Irish Tarmac champ. takes up a lot of time, 8 rallies = 16 weekends away (reccies etc). If i'm away from the family 16 weekends, I want more than 8 rallies.

To be honest the best format is the Irish national series. Away friday night home late Sunday/Mon. morn reccie and rally all done, but again all tarmac.

fidgy
30-03-2006, 12:53
Will we ever see the national down south as a mixed series again, look at the fun the lads have on the TRITON SOUTH EAST STAGES with the mixed surfaces. best of luck to you Neil in the BRC anyway

ste0411
21-04-2006, 22:38
Coiln Mcrae has entered the Pirelli national rally so that makes it worth going too now

bomno44
03-05-2006, 16:53
i see wilks has entered the pirelli rally in an ignis.... suzuki must not want ford's to win....

fidgy
03-05-2006, 17:15
What overseas events are you doing Brian this year

bomno44
03-05-2006, 19:49
doing pirelli, jim clarke, manx, trackrod and rally gb.. was going to try another jwrc round but the budget is after taking a bit of a blow so far this year so that has been scrapped...

CiaraC
03-05-2006, 21:42
Originally posted by bomno44
i see wilks has entered the pirelli rally in an ignis.... suzuki must not want ford's to win....

Ooooh, I think my money is safe on this one ;) lol

DavidN
03-05-2006, 22:35
Originally posted by CiaraC

Originally posted by bomno44

Ooooh, I think my money is safe on this one ;) lol

Are you leaving your money in your purse Ciara?

ste0411
17-05-2006, 18:00
I see that Mark Taylor (BRC Manager) is showing his true colours today in Motorsport News....saying that on the JCMR Manx and Ulster rallies the Irish guys in WRC cars will be quote'promoted as a red herring' which is a utter disagrace and it is time the ITC organisers gave 2 fingers to the BRC!!!!!!
What do you say about that CiaraC

[Edited on 17-5-06 by ste0411]

can1
17-05-2006, 18:39
aye ste0411 ur rite the itc should stay in ireland. Just look at how the irish men have been treated the last few years in the brc.

Jimmy Page
17-05-2006, 19:43
Originally posted by ste0411
What do you say about that CiaraC

I say she seems like a polite lady, who very much enjoys her rallying and tends to say it how she sees it.

ste0411
17-05-2006, 21:10
I am sure there must be Irish National rounds that could be upgraded to the ITC

Mark Lowe
17-05-2006, 21:50
Mark Taylor Ste, not John

Mark Lowe
17-05-2006, 21:57
Saying that Taylor must be on something to come out with a stupid statement like he has in Motorsports News

ste0411
17-05-2006, 22:01
I think its what he thought all along and he slipped up and said it now.

Sal
19-05-2006, 14:21
Think Mark is talking out of his hat a little here! Admitted he's in a difficult position having to promote a championship thats now runs to different regs however the ITC does draw fans to three rounds of the BRC who otherwise may not be there and helps swell the organising clubs coffers. It shouldnt be forgotten that the Irish crews have bolstered the entry lists for the last 3 or 4 years and to dismiss them so flippantly is more tan a little distrespectful. To my mind they are not red herrings but could be regarded as hares that the BRC crews will gain much credibility for beating.. if they manage to do so! It's easy to overlook the fact that on WRC events the top PWRC and S1600 crews are quite capable of beating WRC equipped "privateers" so if the BRC guys and girls have aspirations on competing on the World stage what better preparation than having a pop at the Irish crews?!!

Sal
19-05-2006, 14:22
By Mark I meant Taylor not Lowe!

Tommy Hayes
19-05-2006, 14:26
I think the tarmac championship should look at doing a rally in France or Belgium as an alternative. In some cases it works out cheaper than the Manx or Jim Clark. Lot of complaints about the costs over the years. A round in Spain or one of the countries I mentioned might not be a bad idea, as they like their World Rally Cars over there and it might be good competition

Sal
19-05-2006, 14:50
Originally posted by tarmac timo
I think the tarmac championship should look at doing a rally in France or Belgium as an alternative. In some cases it works out cheaper than the Manx or Jim Clark. Lot of complaints about the costs over the years. A round in Spain or one of the countries I mentioned might not be a bad idea, as they like their World Rally Cars over there and it might be good competition

Would have to be France as the Spanish series runs to Group n and S1600 aswell. The Belgian series allows WRC cars now though so that might be cheaper.

Pierce Doheny Jnr.
19-05-2006, 16:07
How about upgrading an event like Wexford to International.....
In fairness, the Manx and Jim Clarke are just too expensive for all but the top crews in the ITC to consider competing in. Majority of crews in Classes like 1,2,3,6, and 7 dont have the budgets to be doing the overseas events.
I think the idea of overseas events should be scrapped and more effort should be made on making the ITC a true "Irish" Championship, especially now that Mr. Taylor has showed his true colours.......
I personally would love to compete in Manx and Jim Clarke but the costs are very prohibitive..... And look at how poor Tim McNulty was treated last year at the Manx.......
Just my 2 cents

Torlac O'Reilly
19-05-2006, 16:26
I'd agree with PJ_RS1800 about Tim he wasn't fairly treated after that incident. Tim , if i remember correctly, complained he had no official support, not that it might be any better at home... ask Genie! Upgrading national events to international would leave room for more events to join the national which might raise the profile of the rallies but also the entry fee!?!

[Edited on 19-5-2006 by alwayssideways]

ste0411
19-05-2006, 19:02
alwayssideways and PJ_RS1800 great ideas on both your posts..
I am suprised CiaraC is'nt comenting on this I await her views with interest

JJ
25-05-2006, 22:50
Wot about West Cork as an International?

Pierce Doheny Jnr.
26-05-2006, 09:40
Has been discussed on here before JJ.....
There are already two International Rallies in the Munster region, Cork 20 and Killarney, one in Connaught, and three in Ulster.
Would be nice to have an international somewhere on the east coast, that's why I suggested Wexford......also, maybe a new event based out of Dublin.......could possibly use the Wiclow mountains, Sally Gap, Aughavanagh, etc.....follow a similar format to the Dunlop Rally Ireland in 2000......

[Edited on 26-5-2006 by PJ_RS1800]

D
29-05-2006, 00:00
there is no point in worrying about changing the rallies. they need to get the petrol sorted out or do somthin.. i dont know about the rest but my car feels like a 135 massey on tht stuff,lol

JJ
30-05-2006, 19:42
Originally posted by PJ_RS1800
could possibly use the Wiclow mountains, Sally Gap, Aughavanagh, etc.....follow a similar format to the Dunlop Rally Ireland in 2000......

[Edited on 26-5-2006 by PJ_RS1800]

Sounds like a good idea, Wonder will Don Wilmont stand down and let u in PJ?

Pierce Doheny Jnr.
31-05-2006, 09:04
:clap::headache:

DavidN
31-05-2006, 09:56
Originally posted by D
there is no point in worrying about changing the rallies. they need to get the petrol sorted out or do somthin.. i dont know about the rest but my car feels like a 135 massey on tht stuff,lol

Interesting point Darren, did other competitors feel the same? Maybe this is why the GpN cars were apparently so poor?

D
31-05-2006, 19:11
im not sure about the other boys. there was a good few saying about but i dunno... The gp N cars mite ave been poor to watch but their times def wernt poor....

bomno44
31-05-2006, 21:02
mine was alright on the stuff but then again you were probably being filled with the turbo fuel again darren!!!! lol!!!

D
31-05-2006, 22:34
haha. tht ****** in rally ireland..

D
31-05-2006, 22:34
haha. tht ****** in rally ireland..

CiaraC
31-05-2006, 22:58
Originally posted by ste0411
I am suprised CiaraC is'nt comenting on this I await her views with interest

Ste,

I was in Sardinia when the said issue of MN was released. Therefore, I have not seen the article in question so can't really comment.

If you could paste the atricle word for word (not just your interpretation) in here then I can form an opinion.

I am intrigued to know how badly the Irish competitors have been treated in the BRC over the past few years.

[Edited on 31-5-2006 by CiaraC]

GREENDAY
01-06-2006, 07:51
It must sicken Mr Taylor to see the the itc events turning away entries by the dozen and his events starting with in around 50 cars only.Its no wonder the british drivers are keen to come over to rally in Ireland

CiaraC
01-06-2006, 09:25
Greenday,

What top Irish drivers are keen to come over and rally in Ireland on a regular basis (apart from the odd event) ??

The quality of entries on the Pirelli was brilliant. The quantities may not be there but the quality certainly was. No matter how Irish people run it down, it is still a good place to be if you want your talents to be noticed by the right people. Why do you think some of the top young British and Irish drivers are doing it ?? Because it's not going to get them anywhere, they love throwing money down the drain and the events are so **** ??

bomno44
01-06-2006, 11:30
with most of the brc rounds they run run about three different rallies the same week end the internationals, the nationals and some other rally with the total number of entries being nearer to what we get here. the difference is they run them as seperate rallies and we dont which makes it look worse than it actually is. the total no. of entries in the pirelli was around 130 so its not that bad.. still not as strong as it is over here though..

[Edited on 1-6-2006 by bomno44]

DavidN
01-06-2006, 12:06
Originally posted by CiaraC
Greenday,

What top Irish drivers are keen to come over and rally in Ireland on a regular basis (apart from the odd event) ??

The quality of entries on the Pirelli was brilliant. The quantities may not be there but the quality certainly was. No matter how Irish people run it down, it is still a good place to be if you want your talents to be noticed by the right people. Why do you think some of the top young British and Irish drivers are doing it ?? Because it's not going to get them anywhere, they love throwing money down the drain and the events are so **** ??

Ciara, I agree the 1st round had some great quality to it, I just hope they all stay around for the year.
Regarding the BRC and career ladders etc, your living in the past if you think this, I wish it were still this way but now cash= progression, it really is this simple so my advice to any of our young aspiring drivers unless your Dad is seriously loaded forget a rally career, do the events you enjoy and have fun

fidgy
01-06-2006, 14:29
Brian O Mahony you have done both the itc and brc,how would you compare value for money,pr value and the standard of events in both championships. Without saying you re filthy rich you were lucky enough to have money to do these championships so whats the next step gonna be for you and your career?

bomno44
01-06-2006, 17:09
well last year was my first year doing the championships and i only did two extra rounds of the brc that were not part of the itc.. and in fairness the only problem i have with the whole thing is that the english rallies seem to put the brc first which to my mind is wrong considering that without the itc they would barely have enough entries to start the rally.. And the organisers seemed dead sound to me during the rallies except for one person last year who gave me the impression that he wasnt going to help me because i wasnt brittish.. i could be wrong... But my biggest problem with the brc is the television now i know green light do a massive job but how hard is it to get the pronounciation of some ones name right....... lol.... Well last year i won the brc but didnt have as much (no one at all but not my fault they saw that i entered the first couple of rounds and were too afraid to come out and try and beat me) opposition as i would of liked so going to try and show that i have the pace to win....

Definitely better PR for the BRC with magazines constant news on MN and TV and so on.. RPM do a massive job over here though probably better than what greenlight does. Its just for super 1600 and group n you get better recognition for similar results if you achieve them in the brc as it seen as a superior championship.. (for super 1600 any way)..

This is just my opinion.....

Clan
02-06-2006, 08:57
The BRC is the nearest championship to the WRC in terms of terrain and likeness. The ITC is one surface only which bears no resemblance to any WRC round not even Corisca. Three Teams from the WRC are English Based, Ford, Mitsi and Subaru. If you do well on the BRC you are an all rounder, simple. Main faults are, yes the quality is good, but in what terms, none of the 7 ex champs got a(full time) WRC drive, therefore they were deemed not good enough, so if you cannot beat them then by rule of thumb you are not good enough either for the WRC. The Grp N route is a good idea, but it is short sighted also, cutting costs on the BRC, bringing in all the ones make series into the BRC are two ideas, may not be brillaint for the spectator, but if costs are down it is good for the competitor and there potential sponsors.
The treatment of Irish drivers on combined BRC/ITC rounds has always been a mute point, but whos to Blame, TROA and MSI as they have never pushed for or sought equal status and let things run as they are, witnessed by the awful treatment of Tim on the IOM last year, not down to the organisers but down to the BRC/MSA officials present and no ITC/MSI officials were present. With a population of 60m+ with a huge car industry and car buying public and with a bigger Rally spectator base the BRC should be bursting at the seams with interest but it is not except for RallyGB. Why is this???? look no further then the pinnacle of the sport the BRC, it is not using its reputation, its leadership is more then suspect, its events are first Class, its potential pool of competitors is first class, its potential Car entry could be first class, but its not. Don't get me wrong the ITC is vey far away from been perfect or even adequate in world rally terms. All the figures stack up in favour of the ITC except one, how many WRC drivers have we produced and the answer is none, (Kris and Niall both ran under MSA licences) but we now have Gareth in a self run capacity and if he does well, interest in the WRC will rise in Ireland with Jo Soap, we just love seeing an Irishman or woman do well in sport, whether it be bowling or rallying. The Brc could and should rise again, but I have doubts about its management structure. I think if Malcolm Wilson was left in charge it would be back to where it should be in the world rally structure.

[Edited on 2-6-2006 by Clan]

Mark Lowe
02-06-2006, 22:29
Personally Brian I would do the Ancro, BTRDA OR KUMHO series if you want to come to Britain to rally.

Or personal choice stick with the ITC and hopefully Birkbecks but make sure Dave Mac is looked after in beer and fags
:wine:

bomno44
02-06-2006, 23:11
Originally posted by m.lowe
Personally Brian I would do the Ancro, BTRDA OR KUMHO series if you want to come to Britain to rally.

Or personal choice stick with the ITC and hopefully Birkbecks but make sure Dave Mac is looked after in beer and fags
:wine:

ah dont worry bout dave he'll be well looked after in that respect... just ask him bout killarney... well seeming as some of the rounds are clashing it just makes sense to do it.. also caroline (reid) would be gutted if i didnt compete... i mean who's penalties could she sort out if i wasnt there...

Dean P Cullen
10-06-2006, 12:38
Originally posted by Clan
The Grp N route is a good idea, but it is short sighted also, cutting costs on the BRC, bringing in all the ones make series into the BRC are two ideas, may not be brillaint for the spectator, but if costs are down it is good for the competitor and there potential sponsors.

How is this True Ireland had a PWRC Champ in Niall McShea and it got him nowhere onther than into Dept if you as me , he was suppossed to come to the the recent Donegal Quarryx event in a honda civic so i think group - N is deff not the way to go .

WRC is getting to much like F1 , "you need money to make money". and its not what you know but who you know (like daniel Sordo).